Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Fraser River sockeye salmon C&R study  (Read 77956 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser River sockeye salmon C&R study
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2008, 04:00:14 PM »

I hope the springs were released.
The ones I saw taken that day were retained.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2008, 06:33:16 PM »

Ya and they don't need to be net.  They should be left along.   ::)

blueline

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2008, 02:03:23 PM »

I was thinking of going out
what if there are more than the 35 volunteers there? I wouldn't want to get out there and not be able to participate.

As well, can you keep the springs?

ever_hopefull

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2008, 02:07:34 PM »

They have been averaging much less than 35 volunteers per day so that should not be a problem, and yes you can keep the Springs.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »

lovetofish

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2008, 03:56:25 PM »

With the reduced catch numbers and dropping numbers in the test fishery this week, I think that very few sockeye will be caught this week. Springs on the other hand, may be worth trying for.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »

Part two of the sockeye C&R study will be taking place in August 2009.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada has scheduled the three five-day sampling periods to begin on August 10th, 17th and 24th respectively.  We plan to start fishing each day at 8:00am until we reach our goal for that day or 2:30pm, which ever comes first. The study will be conducted again on Grassy Bar, just downstream from Island 22 boat launch. Volunteer anglers at different skill levels are needed, no sign-up is required. For those needing a boat ride to/from the location, the group will be meeting each day at 7:30am at Island 22 and returning at 2:30pm. There is no need to sign up in advance, just come on by. Please make sure you park in the appropriate parking area for your vehicle type.

Given the extremely hot temperatures out there please make sure you bring enough liquids to keep yourself hydrated, your sunscreen, bug repellant and hats.

Similar to last year you need to provide your own rod, reel and line and if you want your terminal tackle. If you prefer we will have a selection of weights, leader and wool available.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2009, 11:49:12 AM »

Well folks we have scheduled the three five day sampling periods to begin on August 10th, 17th and 24th respectively.  We plan to start fishing each day at 8:00 until we reach our goal for that day or 2:30 which ever comes first.  The study will be conducted again on Grassy Bar, just downstream of the Island 22 boat launch.  For those needing a ride to/from the location we will be meeting each day at 7:30 at Island 22 and returning at 2:30. There is no need to sign up in advance, just come on by. Please make sure you park in the appropriate parking area for your vehicle type.

Given the extremely hot temperatures out there please make sure you bring enough liquids to keep yourself hydrated, your sunscreen, bug repellant and hats.

Similar to last year you need to provide your rod, reel and line and if you want your terminal tackle.  If you prefer we will have a selection of weights, leader and wool available.

We're looking for volunteer anglers of all experience levels so come on out and join us.  If you have any questions please give me a call.

As unpopular as my response will be this is what I sent to FOC and others.
 I may be in the minority but I can not endorse a study that involves catching fish that are not biting. Not intended to start a flossing debate once again but I can not stand still and support something that I think is wrong.

Thanks Deb,

With the low returns of sockeye now forecast and with extreme water warming I think this study should be suspended for this year as each and every sockeye possible should be given the best chance possible of reaching their natal streams.

Regards and thanks for this consideration.

Chris
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:00:35 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2009, 12:59:09 PM »

Couldn't agree more Chris! Rodney, I respect what you are trying to accomplish, but I do not agree with holding these fish in a pen for 24 hrs. to see what mortality rates are and like Chris I don't agree with the method used to catch these sockeye. If this study has to be done would it not be possible to radio tag these fish and release them immediately to continue on their way and set up telemetry at their natal rivers to see how many make it? Gord.
Hi Gord, Rodney is just passing the information from FOC along, thats all. See you on the flow.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2009, 06:40:52 PM »

Yeah, I guess we should just give up on trying to demonstrate that sockeye are resilient enough to survive being hooked as incidental bycatch when fishing for springs so that DFO can once and forever shut down the Fraser to all kinds of recreational salmon fishing, as is the wish of the FN.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.  ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2009, 07:58:52 PM »

Yeah, I guess we should just give up on trying to demonstrate that sockeye are resilient enough to survive being hooked as incidental bycatch when fishing for springs so that DFO can once and forever shut down the Fraser to all kinds of recreational salmon fishing, as is the wish of the FN.

Not going to get into this flossing debate in respect to this forum as it has been discussed enough over the years with all points made over and over again, however what you are saying is true, unless the majority of angler choose not to fish selectively when there is stocks of concern in the system we will reach the point you make in a hurry.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »

Thanks Milo. Finally someone looking at the big picture.

It bothers me when I keep hearing these comments about how individuals dissaprove of bottom bouncing. This is a legal method of fishing folks, let's get over it! I have a big problem with the use of bait for steelhead in the vedder. Often a steelhead will swallow the bait and the likelyhood of a steelhead surviving after being released is probably low. But this is a legal method of fishing!

The comments are getting old. These are fish being caught for food. Is it more sporting or humane to use a bar rod, bb gear or a native net. How is it somehow more sporting to take a chinook on a bar rod?  I submit it doesn't make a hoot of difference. When you buy chicken at your grocery store....  do you ask how it was caught??   ???

All you are doing by continually harping on a particular legal fishing technique is dividing the sporting community. That's not neccessary....

The sockeye study is important! If sockeye mortality rates were high as a result of being caught and released the FN would use that information to argue that we should be off the river! IT is important that the river remain open to fishing during the sockeye run. We are the eyes and ears on the river. The groups that take liberties to illegally catch more than their share of the fish would have a free rein to do whatever, as DFO does not have the resources to be everywhere at once.

So please, if you need to hold your nose on the BB issue then do so. As Milo says "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.  ::)"
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2009, 08:46:08 PM »

Legal or not, water temperatures have hit 21 degrees celsius and mortality rates are high, the extra stress from bb will guaranteed another one for the seaguls. BB should be banned during this period!

Bait for steelhead.... swallowing? Its does happen, but rarely, for me anyways. Have you ever tried cutting the the leader and leaving the hook, those barbless hooks will fall out the next day. Thats assuming there was no internal damage done.
The Bigger The Better!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »

The point was: "how does the C&R study effect the big picture......"  these silly disagreements are just distractions.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2009, 09:26:20 PM »

Exactly. Like Gord was saying, how can a flossed sockeye be accurately tested on C&R mortality, when the overwhelming water temperatures are a serious threat to the fish to begin with? Like I said already, anymore stress on the fish, and it will die.

I am going to have to disagree with the study at this time during this sockeye crisis. Why not have the study done another year when the waters are cooler?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:28:14 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15