Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DISAPPOINTED  (Read 4381 times)

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
DISAPPOINTED
« on: August 30, 2004, 10:30:32 PM »

Just arrived back from a trip to the Interior (non-fishing)to be greeted by an article in the local paper (Chilliwack Times) regarding the SDA protest held last week. Many things get my blood pressure up but the statement by Ernie Crey, member of the Cheam Band and also spokesperson for the the B.C. Aboriginal Fisheries Coalition worked wonders. The statement made by Crey is as follows:

"What appears to groups like the SDA to be illegal fishing might not always be the case. They need to know what they're seeing."

What a pile of crap (in my less than objective humble opinion). Not only that, the reporter, Mike Chouinard, didn't even have the brains to get SDA's point of view.

Very poor and biased reporting.

The article demonstrates the battle we are facing to have laws enforced. I am afraid all the fishery is in serious trouble!

I hope readers here will support the SDA in its effort to get politicians to pay attention and initiate action to protect our fishery. My personal action will be to phone the editor tomorrow and express my disappointment in the one-sided article and to cancel my subscription to the Times.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Bushwacker

• I'm a llama!
Re:DISAPPOINTED
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 11:06:37 PM »

I ran into Ernie Crey about a couple of years ago in a bank line-up at TD Canada Trust. Don't really know him but I just recognized the guy. Asked him how his fishing went  as it was a heavy run of pinks at the time. He said it was so-so and that they only wanted the females for the eggs which I tend to guess is targeted for the Japanese market. Wonder what happened to all the male pinks caught in their nets.......!  >:(
On another incident a neighbour of mine walking his dog in the outskirts of an FN Reserve came across the contents of 3 large styro boxes semi-frozen fish, mostly chums and chinooks, totalling close to 100 lbs thrown into the bush.When I heard about this I  called a person I knew at Fred's Tackle Shop who said he would pass this info to someone in Fisheries. When I called again in a followup I was told with open palm and a shrug the culprits has to be caught red handed ! >:(  a bad case of selective overfishing and poor salesmanship. What a waste. >:(

Bushwacker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 11:21:56 PM »

Just want to add to what Terry mentioned about the Chilliwack Times article or was it another local paper.
There was some emphasis about FN's fishing for ceremonial purposes....eg, as in a funeral they have go get some fish. Doesn't seem to me there is a dying epidemic in this area. As well, Chief Sid Douglas of the Cheam Band states that they need to catch more fish to support a growing population. ???

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 04:58:39 AM »

yes their growing population
all have aboriginal rights meaning more nets next year and every year until total decimation
but hey the natives are the stewarts of the land and have managed this fishery for thousands of years
its their right to pilage this resource

but hey i voted for liberals and andre  
GAGLIANO & QUILLETTT(spelling)good government for all canadians

Nostro

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 08:46:54 AM »

BS obviously baffled that reporter's brain.
Never look a fish in the eye.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 08:58:29 AM »

Ernie Cray >:(

frank Kwak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 02:13:13 PM »

Terry - Mike chouinard phoned me this morning looking for a story from yesterday's boat entanglement.  I told him that I was very disappointed in what he had written last.  I also told him that the SDA
 was looking into his inacurate reporting about the follow up to the first protest fishery on Pegleg.,  You are right he did not ask the SDA, DFO or anyone else what they thought the facts were.  I told him I did not want to talk to him again until he became more responsible.  He told me to write to the editorial page.  Which I am not about to do.  We are looking at talking to the press council and maybe taking action agaist him.
I also talked to Ernie Crey by cell phone and e-mail.  He suggested that if the net from the boat incident did not have a proper buoy with proper identification it was not theirs and maybe even a recreational angler had dropped it.  Good reason for DFO to check the buoy and identification issue which is in the licence to fish.  Even though that fishery is now closed and Cheam are no longer fishing.
Frank

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 02:56:31 PM »

I also talked to Ernie Crey by cell phone and e-mail.  He suggested that if the net from the boat incident did not have a proper buoy with proper identification it was not theirs and maybe even a recreational angler had dropped it.  

Typical Ernie Cray.  It wasn't tagged so it could belong to anyone.  Some members of the Cheam are causing  A LOT of bad blood between the FN and the rest of the Canadians.  This adds to it.  Ultimately, the responsibility lies squarely in the lap of the DFO who should be checking ALL nets on the river.  I'm still discusted that Ernie chooses to point his finger at recreational anglers at every oportunity.  What a joke he is to suggest that a rec. angler dropped it.