Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Early Stuart Sockeye Run Decimated  (Read 9421 times)

reach

• Yard work can wait.
Management of Fraser fisheries
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 10:37:46 PM »

Here's some fascinating reading on the history of management of the Fraser River stocks.  I know there's not much point living in the past but most of the issues remain unresolved.

The inquiry's purpose was to find out why there was no commercial fishery on the Fraser in 2001.  But the whole issue of DFO/FOC enforcement, native allocations etc. is discussed in detail.  The testimony includes fishermen, industry reps, DFO senior beauraucrats, natives, and our own Bill Otway.

The testimony takes a few hours to go through but I find it very interesting (particularly as an ex-commercial fisherman).  If you only have a few minutes check out the final report.  It summarizes the testimony and makes several recommendations, which of course have been ignored.

Final Report
http://www.parl.gc.ca/InfoComDoc/37/2/FOPO/Studies/Reports/foporp06/foporp06-e.pdf

Nov 19 2001 evidence - fishermen & industry
http://www.parl.gc.ca/InfoComDoc/37/1/FOPO/Meetings/Evidence/fopoev31-e.htm

Feb 19 2002 evidence - DFO grilling part 1
http://www.parl.gc.ca/InfoComDoc/37/1/FOPO/Meetings/Evidence/fopoev39-e.htm

May 6 2002 evidence - DFO grilling part 2, area E gillnetters
http://www.parl.gc.ca/InfoComDoc/37/1/FOPO/Meetings/Evidence/fopoev49-e.htm

May 29, 2002 - native viewpoint
http://www.parl.gc.ca/InfoComDoc/37/1/FOPO/Meetings/Evidence/fopoev54-e.htm

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re:Early Stuart Sockeye Run Decimated
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 11:08:44 PM »

Good stuff Reach and thanks for sharing it with us.

Always good to have information like this as it is always useful.

Having members able to find things like this is almost unbelievable. Anyone else with similar info please share.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2004, 11:10:25 PM »

Uh oh, my printer ran out of ink!

Thanks Reach, very informative. :)

Bantam_50

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 11:19:13 PM »

Man talk about going against your own grain....thnx Reach, very interesting read.

Bushwacker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 12:35:16 AM »

Anyone recall that public meeting just a few years ago chaired by Brian Peckford, the former premier of Newfoundland . Actually there were a series of meetings held at different locations regarding the same sockeye problem faced today.The one I attended was held in Chwk at Best Western Rainbow Country Inn.
For those who signed in we got a copy of Mr. Peckford's study recommendations which comprised of several dozen pages of heavy reading and lots of statistical information. With all due respect to Mr.Peckford who knows more than most people about the crash of the Atlantic cod fishery, I have to give him a lot of credit in producing his fact finding work.Now we have essentially the same problem repeating all over again.
So how many more studies do we need funded by long suffering taxpayers and possible (?) increases in angling licence fees imposed by a bureaucracy surviving on the brink of rigor mortis willing to show some decisive action in the sustainability of better fish management and a fair allocation to all stakeholders.
Got to end this rant. Aaaargh! >:( >:( >:(

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2004, 10:18:59 AM »

Hi Bantam, I'm not going against any grain... I've always thought that if the fishery were managed properly, there will be plenty of fish for all user groups.  In the north, for the most part, sports and commercial have gotten along just fine, and are actively involved with DFO in an advisory capacity to help manage the Skeena system.

The native-only fisheries have caused such a deep divide here on the Fraser that it might take a generation or more to heal.  The "us and them" mentality I see here is really sad.  I wish DFO could understand the implications not only for fisheries but for society as a whole.  They really are promoting apartheid.  You could even think they were deliberately following a "divide and conquer" strategy for some hidden purpose, but I don't think they're that smart.

p.s. I apologize for my massacre of "bureaucrats".  :)

Bushwacker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2004, 12:47:02 PM »

Is FN doing a better job in the Propaganda War?
http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/issues02/082202/news/082202nn2.html

On another thread there was some dissatisfaction regarding Mike Chouinard's poor coverage in the Chilliwack Times of the recent PegLeg fishing protest. Don't want to raise anyone's hackles but just want to add my .02 worth as constructive criticism with no offence meant.
Now we have another protest in the works for a Kelowna gathering. The point I'm getting at is why was Mike C. shunned as a pariah when he could be used to better advantage in the same way Lisa Morry was used by FN to get their side of the story. The way I see it is to use elementary psychology to shape their behaviour as a "friendly"to promote your cause. Local reporters don't have ESP to understand all the issues and normally will regurgitate what they've been told. I believe that was a lost opportunity by an organizer of the forthcoming Kelowna bash.Maybe this one will have a great script and turn out well with no one getting pepper sprayed.
I took part in a large protest a few years ago blocking the FOC office in Yale Rd, Chwk. with at least 200 people there including Strahl, Penner, DeJong, FVSS, tacke shops, guides,etc. Turned out to be another symbolic showing.
Still believe you have to have the media to be onside, otherwise the general public will react to be equivalent to a bunch of tree huggers, PETA, union demonstration,etc.
Wish you all good luck !

Bantam_50

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2004, 12:00:57 AM »

LOL...Sorry reach...I should have been more elaborate. I wasn't referring to you, but to DFO and the recommedations they set out in that read,,,,yet it seems they're going against THEIR own grain and ignoring all of them.