Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Operation BBQ at PegLeg  (Read 16192 times)

Nostro

Operation BBQ at PegLeg
« on: August 21, 2004, 04:33:13 PM »

About 60 people showed, BCTV film crew, local newspaper reporter, and the chosen one, Mike, a DFO officer whose orders were to write a ticket for the one sockeye to be taken. The rain held off. Everyone discussing all the wrongs with the enforcement on the river. Upside down flown maple flags everywhere. Just as many fishers in the distance continuing to bottom bounce for springs. Some springs were landed.
Bill Ottway gives his speach, reciting the DFO mismanagement of this resource. Then, seven boats take to the water. Mike, the sacrificial DFO officer, reluntantly agrees to go along in one of the boats. The rain starts to pelt down. On a nearby small bar, a man yanks a sockeye out of the water and his son grabs it, then drops it then kicks it into the river. Where is a DFO officer when you need one?!Observing from a distance across the river, a sockey is hooked by one of the boats and the rod passed to the designated one to land it, I believe Mr. Ottway. I assume that Mike did his thing and ticketed the criminal.
The show moved back to this side. But by then a lot of people had left because of the rain.
It was a good protest, thanks to the people who showed, Chris Gadsden, Fred Helmer and others who organized it. Now, we wait and see how it is presented to the public by the media.
Never look a fish in the eye.

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re:Operation BBQ at PegLeg
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 04:40:25 PM »

my buddy was flossing springs on the upper bar and he didnt even know there was a protest!  He and his pal hooked & released 4 socs...uncool in my books, thats why I stayed at home.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 04:41:36 PM »

Thanks for the summary nostro. Glad the weather wasn't as bad as expected. I'm sure Chris will probably add in some more details later on today. Can we expect this to be shown in the news tonight on BCTV?

Photos coming very soon.

Nostro

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 04:57:51 PM »

Rodney, the word on the beach was that yes, it will be on BCTV. Other media have been playing it up all day as well. I hope the media also got the reports of the FN net fishery today at the lower end of the Fraser (see other tread by GMan on this forum).
Rodney, I have photos if you would let me know how to post them.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 05:20:47 PM by Nostro »
Never look a fish in the eye.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 04:58:04 PM »

Was pleasantly surprised at how the protest was conducted. I think it made the intended point. Still don't agree, in spite of Bill Otway's words, with flying our flag upside down. In support of the cause, I bought one correct way up. Displayed it on my truck. It was stolen.  :'(I guess someone was giving me a message.
Anyway, my appreciation to the organizers.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 05:05:32 PM »

Thanks to all that attended and was good to meet a number from the board that were there to give support or take in the proceedings.

I am sure those that caught Bill's talk learned more about the issues and the reasons for the actions that were taken today.

The attendance was far above the number we expected, I believe 200 flags were sold.

The coverage should be on Global tonight with the first newscast at 6. Watch for the famous bar fishing orange tarp we put up to protect Bill from the rain. As soon as we got it up the rain stopped but came down heavy when we got to the other side away from it. ;D

So tune in to Global TV if you want the details.

I will send some photo's now, that a member of the FVSS took if Rodney wishes to post them.

My flag on the Leaf Craft was flying atop the 11 foot bar rod, the correct way up and was too high for anyone to reach Terry.;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 05:39:09 PM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 05:25:40 PM »

Click on the small images to see large version.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 05:28:24 PM »

Thanks Rodney for locking the post after typing some more info after Lews. ;D ;D

Thanks Lew and Nostro and the others for your reports.

I will go down tonight and cleanup the garbage that fellow whoever it was running about the bar picking it up during the protest.

Hope he comes to the cleanup on the 26th as he sure can pick it up in a hurry. ;D

Maybe if I take a dozen donuts down to the board members camped there they will give me hand.  ;D ;DI donot know where I will take it to but I told the fellow we will look after it for him so I will. ::)

Lets see how many donuts do you think Dragon, leadbelly, Fulcrum_29, gmanfxp,  flyguy44 and the canoeman family can eat? ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 05:33:43 PM by chris gadsden »

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 06:18:04 PM »

I have to say the news coverage was excellent! Great work out there today. :) If I wasn't up here in the Kootenays I would have attended.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 06:34:26 PM »

Well I will not have to bring the donuts down tonight for you as I will go down and try to retrive the garbage he was getting.

It is a good thing he was trying to do but I think you was right he was trying to piggy back on the protest.

I hope in a way he runs out of steam and there is not to much for me to pick up. ;D ;D

I just saw the coverage on BCTV and for those that watched it the video of the FN net was an illegall drift net fishing outside the time limit.

We filmed it on the copter trip I talked about last Saturday.

Any other coments by those at the protest today or from those that saw the coverage BCTV showed.

What should SDA be doing next, any suggestions would be welcome.

BirdNester

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2004, 06:47:48 PM »

Is there a later news on Saturdays? Think it will be on then?
When do you think I can see what I missed?
RobertO

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 07:25:53 PM »

Should be on at 11, but news on the weekend on Global is only one half hour at 11.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2004, 07:41:56 PM »

Well i just saw the story.  Wish they had more of bill's speech, but oh well, so goes the editing.

I'm also VERY glad they didn't give any airtime to the ****o in the lumina.   ;D
Yes and I have delayed going out there until tomorrow to retrieve the items he has picked up as donot really want to run into him again.

It is raining hard now again so a good night to pick dew worms for anyone that uses some. Saves 3 to 4 dollars a doz. if you have to buy them.

I am going to stock up tonight, I find keeping them in moss works well but you must keep them cool at all times.

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 08:17:32 PM »

Nice to meet you Chris and all the other bar rod heads.  Even though the fish were ignoring our doctors it was a fun outing. Dragonspeed provided the comic relief with his rod holder building and casting demonstrations.

I missed the newscast tonight. Hopefully they'll re broadcast it at 11PM. For those who watched it, was it on Global or BCTV, as they were both mentioned in the thread?

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2004, 08:25:41 PM »

Thanks SG.