Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Just curious what you gear chuckers use?

Baitcaster
- 28 (45.2%)
Centerpin
- 34 (54.8%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Centerpin or baitcaster??  (Read 14213 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Centerpin or baitcaster??
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 03:04:56 PM »

Ive fished with a baitcaster all my life, i owned one at one time, and the centerpin out does the baitcaster by far. Only thing a centerpin lacks is a drag but it makes up for that in the drift and looks section.

I love it without a drag...That is one of the reasons why they are good. Waaaaay funner fight ;)
weeeeeeeeeow!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 03:45:45 PM »

there may be no drag on CP's, but a 12.5' rod inherently adds more line friction than a 10.5' bc rod (more guides = more line friction).  So, you are not truly drag free.  As far as the reel speed thing goes, the lure only comes in as fast as you reel it.  You can have a 100:1 bc and bring your lure in just as slow as a cp if you reel slow enough.  But, you can never bring your lure in as fast with a cp than a bc.  Also, I've had my guides freeze up, but never the gearing in my bc. 

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 04:03:39 PM »

Also, I've had my guides freeze up, but never the gearing in my bc. 

Won't happen on the coast....try fishing at 0 degrees F.  or -15 C. or colder...seen it a WHOLE lot!  It's not always the gears to seize up...it's usually the water brought in on the line which ends up in the reel that causes the problems.

And what "drag free" means is that there is no device on the reel to change it.  It doesn't mean because it's drag free that you play a fish without applying any drag....you wouldn't get a fish in without applying drag to the reel...you'd backlash.  Having a few extra guides on your rod won't make any difference at all when playing a fish...it's the fisherman who determines how much drag to apply to the pin. 

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 06:27:18 PM »

Yeup. There is nothing better than fighting a steelie with your own finger 'disc brake', you can feel every pull of the fish. Add that with a sensitive rod, then each fight is an experience to remember. I will bring my pins out soon enough when there are more steelies around.  ;)

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 06:47:09 PM »

I live in North Central Washington and not on the Coast.  It gets below 0 F here quite frequently.  When guiding, I'd be on the water all the time, regardless of the weather.  However, now that I have some years under my belt, I'd rather strap on the long boards, skates, get in my heated boat or better yet, kick back and watch some hockey and have a cold one when it gets too cold outside. 

So, after reading all the threads, I guess it's each to their own.  Hopefully it was helpful for those deciding to become an elitist or those who prefer to catch fish  ;D 

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 06:50:44 PM »

an elitist or those who prefer to catch fish  ;D 

What's next, get your butler to catch the salmon?

Thurston Howell the 3rd uses centrepins. It's a FACT!

Jet

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2008, 10:06:26 PM »

You say more people using pins now than 5 years ago. I've used them for 40 years and that's all you ever seen on the river in
those days. They do seem to be getting more popular now. So much more fun to fish with eh.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2008, 02:28:54 PM »

This has been a really good thread for me to read.  I'm going to pick up a drift setup soon and though I have a fair bit of fishing experience for other species I have next to none when it comes to steelhead, having only been 3 or 4 times (albeit with an excellent mentor).  For me, I would rather concentrate on learning the fish and it's behavior rather than the gear.  I think I would spend more time f#$@ing around on centerpin than actually getting the correct drift and learning the habits of the fish...I have used a baitcaster for other fish before and find it very simple.  Maybe in a few years when I have a few dozen steelies under my belt I'll go to the pin.  And hey, what about a hybrid reel...just break the drag on your baitcaster and thumb the spool for drag ;)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2008, 02:37:56 PM »

And hey, what about a hybrid reel...just break the drag on your baitcaster and thumb the spool for drag ;)

lol i think your thumb would be pretty red after that ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

ChromeKiller

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2008, 04:14:02 PM »

Bought my first pin in November now I have three don't think I'll go back to a bc
Much more enjoyable fishing and fighting with a pin ! ;D
Can't wait to hook my first vedder steelie on my new Milner SWEEEET 8)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »

Yes there are very addicting!!..Most of my income goes towards my centerpin collection ;D...I believe im at 13 now :P
weeeeeeeeeow!