Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jet ski fishing  (Read 1804 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Jet ski fishing
« on: August 20, 2022, 01:15:15 PM »

I was at a boat launch on the Nicomekl River this morning . Two young guys with Sea Doo jet skis were heading for the Gulf Islands to do some fishing . Have any of you tried this ?
This type of fishing is huge in South Africa , Australia and the warmer parts of the USA . Looks like fun and may be cheaper than owning a boat.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

canucksfan233

Re: Jet ski fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 02:33:43 PM »

Have a friend who did this in the fraser when you can fish for pinks. Probably nice on a warm day.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 03:37:53 PM »

Saw a guy fishing off Ambleside off a paddleboard.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 04:32:18 PM »

I tried paddleboarding for the first time this summer and I brought my rod for added excitement. Trolled Kalamalka Lake around Rattlesnake point but the temps were very hot and the fish were all dozing in the deep. The logistics were much more difficult than I'd expected... everything was attached to the paddleboard with elastic straps, dry bags, and rope. Hard to let out line while paddling, then maneuver the rod so it pointed backwards (away from the swing of the paddle), then loosen the drag, stand up, and make sure I was standing on the rope tied to the reel. I had a small tangle at one point and I swear it took me ten minutes to get it sorted out. Would have taken me seconds on shore... the wobbling of the board kept wrapping more line around the tangle. If a fish had struck, I'm still not sure if I'd have been able to even pick up the rod without bailing, let alone land it ::)

There are add-on products for storage and rod holding. With some experience and the right accessories, you might be able to fish for salmon around the Cap mouth. Not sure I'd want to be the one to try it though :P

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 05:05:32 PM »

The young men I was referring to were riding Sea Doo Fish Pro models with 170+HP , coolers , rod holders , programmed trolling speeds and fish finders as standard equipment.
 These machines were a long way from paddleboards. About $ 25,000 away from a paddleboard. Check them out on google.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

ratfish

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 07:46:16 PM »

I am interested in trying this also. I wonder if you could equip these units with a downrigger?

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 04:36:16 PM »

I see a guy fairly regularly heading out of the north arm of Fraser with a hand crank down rigger mounted on his jet ski

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 06:18:58 PM »

Why not just buy a boat and fish out of that? 25 grand gets you a decent boat and motor.  :o

canucksfan233

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 07:33:32 PM »

Sea doo guy was off ambleside this morning

ratfish

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 08:57:42 PM »

I live in a townhouse with no place to really store a boat. I do have a tandem garage with about 12-14 feet in length behind my Frontier to store something. I was thinking about getting a quad but a sea doo sounds more practical to me considering my fishing habit. A boat would just take up too much room in my garage if one would even fit.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 11:54:44 AM »

I live in a townhouse with no place to really store a boat. I do have a tandem garage with about 12-14 feet in length behind my Frontier to store something. I was thinking about getting a quad but a sea doo sounds more practical to me considering my fishing habit. A boat would just take up too much room in my garage if one would even fit.
Great on fuel I suppose to eh  ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

ratfish

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 01:52:35 PM »

Terrible on fuel compared to my pontoon which is powered by my old shoulders. Great on fuel compared to a jet boat.. ;D