Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terry at Reaction did an awesome job.  (Read 4124 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Terry at Reaction did an awesome job.
« on: August 23, 2007, 08:08:06 PM »

Picked up my new steelie pin rod today from Terry at Reaction..allot of thought went into this design and I was anxious to see if would fish the way I hoped...Took her out on the chedder and all I can say is "WoW"... sweet casting, light weight amazing feel..fishes as good as it looks...caught a bunch of nice trout, a big boot salmon and something bright as a new dime that decided it wasn't coming in and tossed the hook...
Rod is a Beulah spey 8 wt. blank and is 13' 7" long...can seriously reach out across the river with this rod and keep the line off the water for some good drifts...Will be tossing lots of jigs with this rod come steelhead season...If I don't completely convert to the dark side...Handled the boot pretty easily but this will be more my steelhead rod...Thanks Terry, great job..The Grey Ghost has arrived...

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 08:11:07 PM by Xgolfman »

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: Terry at Reaction did an awesome job.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:47:40 PM »

hey Paul...was wondering what your reasoning was for such a long handle below the reel seet?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 09:13:05 PM »

Those handles look pretty good. There's enough wood there to make two, single handers. Classy look - not too busy - but very custom. Good luck with it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:35:48 PM »

Awesome craftsmanship :)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 09:37:37 PM »

Looks like a bute GM! Hopefully many fish to come
weeeeeeeeeow!

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 10:00:55 PM »

Looks sweet ABA! Can't wait to try it out and then I can build mine too!  So make sure you bring it out next outing!
President Club S. C. & P.

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 10:24:18 PM »

hey all the guys at reaction are very good  ;D the drive Little far but the service is great
love to fish.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 10:40:21 PM »

hey Paul...was wondering what your reasoning was for such a long handle below the reel seet?

At 13'7" I found that with a standard 8" butt the rod felt tip heavy....with the blank, I experimented with a few spots and found that between 12 and 15" the rod felt really well balanced and very light...It's a four piece rod so the 15" was out..and actually I'm really glad we didn't go that route as it would have been way too much...As is, the rod balances perfectly, feels light and is fishable all day...and the best part is when I'm fishing a seam on the other side of the river I can put the butt up on my chest or stomach and it holds the line off the water...felt a bit strange at first but the thing casts so well from both sides that vanished after a couple casts...Playing a fish on it is also pretty damn sweet, The upper section fits nicely and turns a fish fast as it has so much power...

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 10:41:08 PM »

That rod is crying for a Drennan. ;D

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 10:59:17 PM »

Hey Paul,nice rod .What kind of warranty for the blank??

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 06:17:58 AM »

Xgolfman, are the designs embedded in the cork actual dyed cork or foam inserts or some other materials?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 08:02:28 AM »

I am pretty sure that is a burled cork, GMan can correct me if I am wrong.  I think Gman would rather commit hari kari than put FOAM on a rod like that!!!!

I like the wraps...the thread doesnt look like the standard flat colored thread, nor is it the metalic trim thread either...what is the color of thread used? they kinda look 2 tone and a touch shiny?!?!  very nice.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 01:48:20 PM »

I am pretty sure that is a burled cork, GMan can correct me if I am wrong.  I think Gman would rather commit hari kari than put FOAM on a rod like that!!!!

I like the wraps...the thread doesnt look like the standard flat colored thread, nor is it the metalic trim thread either...what is the color of thread used? they kinda look 2 tone and a touch shiny?!?!  very nice.

burled cork, that pattern came out when it was taken down, thought it was pretty cool how it looks like little steelies...It's grey thread, talk to Terry about specific's...We wanted the rod to match up as much as possible and become the grey ghost...stupid nice everything on it...very happy with the job he did...

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 08:00:43 PM »

Awesome looking Rod! ;D  Terry did an awesome job on her.  I don't even mind that you copied my rod I had built this spring.   :o ;D ;D

The Drift rod Cousin of your beauty X. ;)  But you have been one of the few to see it in person!! ;) ;D

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 08:03:17 PM by DMW »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 11:01:09 PM »

i've been waiting for you to chime in...I gotta admit when I saw your rod I was impressed but also a bit bummed as I thought I was the only one who had thought about doing that out here..I've seen quite a few designs similar back east but they were all a bit too gaudy for me...But I gotta saw, your's is the baitcasting brother to my pin one...You have good taste  ;D