Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Fever  (Read 4397 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Steelhead Fever
« on: January 29, 2007, 05:11:34 PM »

I've got it bad...I used to really try and just fish once a week as I didn't want to get burnt out on it like I did with golf... I've read all the hate about the Vedder and how it sucks...I am a fly fishing bum for most of the year....But I got bit by the bug...Centerpin and gear on the ready..let's go!!

Now I'm not doing well...I'm counting the days till my next one out...I'm not minding the early mornings that I used to dread...Hell I look forward to them... I drive home fishless and still thank God that I'm lucky enough to live within an hours drive of one of the most beautiful and bountiful rivers I've been on!!!!! I actually enjoy talking to other anglers and in some cases talking with them too long and not fishing more...I keep going into my little fly room and checking on my stuff..make sure I got hooks tied and worms and roe ready...and then do again for the fourth time that day...

I've met new people that make me feel young again...That sounds pretty pathetic I know but this was a brutal year for me when my stomach decided to kick my a$$... I've been spending a lot of time fly fishing by myself and just trying to be able to make the drive to do it....It nice to run with guys that make you laugh all day and smoke cigars and just be yourself again... :'( (even if they are kind of gay...they are off here and SR's...good guys all around )

The steelhead is one incredable fish..it's like the holy grail in some ways...but that said, the time on the river hunting her is equally special, the cold mornings and your boots sticking to the rocks, the thick fog or constant rain not a burden but a blessing. Maybe you can find that perfect run and fish it on your own...The smell of a good cigar drifting down river to you...A hot coffee to warm your frozen hands...(or in my case tea  ::)) Watching BS head for the trees for his morning Constitution?? What's up with that?? OK, maybe not that part!! ;D

Oh well, sorry to ramble...It's Monday, I've called and made sure my rods ready for Thursday..I've got my bait and gear all ready for the most part...Only a few more days and I'm off again!!! One day MAYBE...I'll even catch one  ;)....My wife asked what would happen if you caught one early??? I said, "Well if it was a hatchery and I kept it I'd have to come home."...She asked.."Why don't you do that then?"....I think you guys know the answer...or at least I know some of you do...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Steelhead Fever
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 05:36:32 PM »

Go back to fishing for trout. You couldnt catch a steelhead if the steelhead was at your feet LOL

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »

ur telling me, i need to get out never mind hook one, i'm obsessed. Mabey this weekend?
Fish killer 101

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:03:47 PM »

Go back to fishing for trout. You couldnt catch a steelhead if the steelhead was at your feet LOL

DAMN...ok...maybe....they are big trout 2....Don't worry, got a switch rod in future...april, may...ahhh can't wait for that either..

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 06:31:51 PM »

Don't listen to Brian, he couldn't catch anything other than a cold on the Vedder anyways!! ;D ;D BTW, thanks for the mention, I have never been spoken so highly of!! ::) ;D ;D  I have 2 more early mornings comin in the next couple days, this time I will not be coming home empty handed!! ::) :D :D  I would say that my streak doesn't bother me at all, but none of you would believe me. ;D  I know that I will get my share sooner or later.  Besides, I have many pics from the last 4 seasons to keep me motivated!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 06:41:48 PM »

Don't listen to Brian, he couldn't catch anything other than a cold on the Vedder anyways!! ;D ;D BTW, thanks for the mention, I have never been spoken so highly of!! ::) ;D ;D  I have 2 more early mornings comin in the next couple days, this time I will not be coming home empty handed!! ::) :D :D  I would say that my streak doesn't bother me at all, but none of you would believe me. ;D  I know that I will get my share sooner or later.  Besides, I have many pics from the last 4 seasons to keep me motivated!! ;D

Hmmm it looks to me that you are the one thats what 0-11 or 0-12? I atleast had a steelhead to shore before I lost it trying to get my camera. No it wasnt on the Vedder but than again I only fish the Vedder a handful of times during Steelhead season since its just too busy for my liking. I would rather be catching fish than going fishless ;)

After next weekend I will be back out catching more cutts and not getting skunked LOL

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 06:55:03 PM »

Hmmm it looks to me that you are the one thats what 0-11 or 0-12? I atleast had a steelhead to shore before I lost it trying to get my camera. No it wasnt on the Vedder but than again I only fish the Vedder a handful of times during Steelhead season since its just too busy for my liking. I would rather be catching fish than going fishless ;)

After next weekend I will be back out catching more cutts and not getting skunked LOL
Brian who the play cares how many trips I get skunked, I don't!!  It is more than just that, I like getting out, in the fresh air, fishing a difficult river this time of year.  You seem to be having a great time with this streak though as evidenced by the line under your avator! ::)  So have at it.  Could I be trying harder to get a fish, YES.  But like I said, it isn't all that important to me anymore.  I have had plenty and don't need to prove anything to anyone or myself.  Perhaps you should grow up a bit, and stop trying to make yourself feel better by sticking it to friends.  I have left it alone, but now you seem to be climbing up even higher on that horse.  I would have put this to a pm, but.....  you seem to want to have it on here, you should know me well enough that I will speak my mind sooner or later.  You have a problem with this call me.

Now back to the topic at hand.  X, sorry for that.  I know how you feel, they will come, and you will be a much better fisherman for it. ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 07:04:02 PM »

You know what you brought this one on yourself. I was just having a little fun with Xgolfman and you took a jab at me so I took a jab back. Now you get all sensitive on me and take it to heart. If you would have said nothing I would have said nothing. Go back and see where it started and you will see it was all fair.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 07:08:06 PM »

You know what you brought this one on yourself. I was just having a little fun with Xgolfman and you took a jab at me so I took a jab back. Now you get all sensitive on me and take it to heart. If you would have said nothing I would have said nothing. Go back and see where it started and you will see it was all fair.
??? ::) No further comment warrented.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 07:09:34 PM »

??? ::) No further comment warrented.

Ya because I am right.....

Belong to the "4 F Club"

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 07:49:21 PM »

Naw i just have alot of time on my hands, after home work and friends i just talk on msn and post on the forum. Except u know when i'm goin fishing cus i wont post on the forum cus i'll be tying and preparing all the gear!  ;D
Fish killer 101

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 10:17:58 PM »

It is funny the last time That searun and I where out fishing we where commenting about the feeling you get when you are concentrating on that float as it is going down river and the anticipation of it diving under. You constantly think that  this time it is going down, maybe this time or maybe this time. It is the anticipation of it all that keeps you going and reward is that maybe one day it will dive under. If not today then oh well still had a great day. On days that I catch nothing and people ask how my day was it is always great and if I do manage to get one then it was a great day with a bonus.

I will not comment on BS and his fishless streak. BS keep your chin up and smile out there. I do not want to go out with a grump  ;D .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 10:26:56 PM »

It is funny the last time That searun and I where out fishing we where commenting about the feeling you get when you are concentrating on that float as it is going down river and the anticipation of it diving under. You constantly think that  this time it is going down, maybe this time or maybe this time. It is the anticipation of it all that keeps you going and reward is that maybe one day it will dive under. If not today then oh well still had a great day. On days that I catch nothing and people ask how my day was it is always great and if I do manage to get one then it was a great day with a bonus.

I will not comment on BS and his fishless streak. BS keep your chin up and smile out there. I do not want to go out with a grump  ;D .

I think i need some new fishing buddies. Daves streak is starting to rub off on me now  :P  :D

I know what you mean. I want to do a test one day. Go without BS and see how many we get. Then go out with him and see. I bet we get more without  ;D ;D ;D .

Just kidding BS but if you phone and I am not home I went to get my hair cut. lmao  ;D ;D ;D .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 01:56:33 PM »

I think i need some new fishing buddies. Daves streak is starting to rub off on me now  :P  :D

I know what you mean. I want to do a test one day. Go without BS and see how many we get. Then go out with him and see. I bet we get more without  ;D ;D ;D .

Just kidding BS but if you phone and I am not home I went to get my hair cut. lmao  ;D ;D ;D .

Hair Cut ??? You dont have any to start with

There's no curse in spending a day on the river...it's all good...but FF I did notice that since you got rid of your pin.....well???? maybe you should get it back....we can talk about that 2wt again.. ;D ;D