Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: T.R.'s Center pin!!!....It's too nice for him!!  (Read 1954 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
T.R.'s Center pin!!!....It's too nice for him!!
« on: January 29, 2007, 04:47:18 PM »

I'm worried....Rick's got a new center pin and I think it's too nice for him to own....Honestly though, anyone else have a Milner bearing model??? I tried it and it is one bad a$$ reel...start up was smoother then my Islander....felt really nice in hand and in motion!!!

I had the bushing model, granted briefly...and I've read the threads to the contrary..but I'm sorry, the bearing model is flat out butter...Would be interested in others experience if out there...I've also heard that german bearings can help improve or upgrade...Any one anything about that or know where you'd pick them up??? I believe Milners are german already...

Lastly...and this is killing me that he's got such a set up...He had a Frontier pin rod on loan, the handle was tight!!! almost flush with the seat and stayed straight from there...It put my hand on the reel perfectly...I'm convinced my problems with my last one were due to the milner seat being too thick to sit in the sage properly...It's amazing what an inch or so can do...I dropped my Sage off at Reaction and they are turning down my grip as we speak...can't wait to see how it feels Thursday....

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
Re: T.R.'s Center pin!!!....It's too nice for him!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:08:54 PM »

You can upgrade your bearing on your steelheader to the one kingfisher uses.. If i remember correctly, you will be using the Abec 5 instead of the Abec 7.

The new kingfisher might spin very nice and very true but the machine job on the new kingfisher is just suck big time compared to the old blushing reel...  It is not not as quality products as it used to be... Honestly, after seeing those new reel, it changed my mind on miller's reel.. i much rather to spend my money on a cheap Okuma Aventa then that piece of junk....

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:13:41 PM »

My brother has one made specially for him by Milner  and it is definitely not a piece of junk.  the machining is exceptional and the function is top notch. The only difference between the bearing and bushing model is the center. It feels better than and Islander and casts way nicer.  If I could choose between the two I would choose the Kingfisher.   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:15:28 PM by kingpin »
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:54:40 PM »

Kingpin, you might be lucky on that one.. But i have see a few of those mass production new kingfisher.. i would not buy them.  Don't get me wrong, I like miller reel, the old kingfisher is nice, Talismen is nice just, that new bearing kingfisher that i have seen are JUNK.....  I would not paid that kind of money for them, speically they just jack up the suggestive retail.  I also like it better then the islander becasue of the size. The reason that they spin nicer is because of the bearing they use is Way nicer bearing then the Islander uses.. If islander use the same bearing, i bet it would spin as nice.   

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 06:57:28 AM »

I have spent amny hours just spinning and looking at my new reel  ;D ;D ;D ;D it is a piece of art !! I can't see the poor machine work you are talking about, it is a fine reel and it spins true and forever !! too bad you had a bad experience

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 12:40:03 PM »

wow, i'm surprised to hear that too....I know Ricks reel is about the nicest job I've seen,,it makes my Islander look cheap...machineing is perfect...Of course his is #40 something of 50 I believe so maybe different then what your seeing...