Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OK...another center pin post...  (Read 2530 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
OK...another center pin post...
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:42:58 PM »

I'll be 100% honest...I laugh like hell watching my buddy and his bird nesting ways with his Center Pin....I caught a coho last year on one, ( The guy next to me hooked it and handed it off so I could see how the fight was ) It was pretty cool...but again I thought "Man what a pain in the backside"....

Well here's the thing...I get bored real fast with a bait caster...I LOVE fly fishing and will fish that way every chance I can...No fish days mean nothing as the enjoyment of the river and making the perfect cast and presentation is in itself a real pleasure for me....BUT..as a realist it's not the best way to catch winter steelhead unless I go spey or nymph fish with egg patterns which is pretty much the same thing in my book.

So in hopes of getting some excitement back in the baitcasting game I thinking of swapping my ct2106 sage rod for the cp model and throwing and Islander of something on it and struggling and birds nesting but eventually learning a method besides ...SWiiinnng...splash...float....snooze...

Worth the change or all hype???

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: OK...another center pin post...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 03:23:24 PM »

I changed to c-pin from baitcaster for steelhead this year, and i havent looked back it adds that something different to everything you do from casting, drifting and playing the fish.
[

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 03:25:27 PM »

Once you get the hang of casting Birds nests will never occure. They are also easy to get out .
weeeeeeeeeow!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 03:36:56 PM »

.I laugh like hell watching my buddy and his bird nesting ways with his Center Pin.

Is he a beginner on his pin reel?OR may be you should pratice with him together after you have the pin set up,so you dont laugh at him :D :D

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 04:01:51 PM »

.I laugh like hell watching my buddy and his bird nesting ways with his Center Pin.

Is he a beginner on his pin reel?OR may be you should pratice with him together after you have the pin set up,so you dont laugh at him :D :D

I know..that's what worries me.. ;D he's been doing it for 30 years...has like 4 Mcdonalds and knew the guy well...It's "supposed" to be because the line sucks.. ;) or he left the line guard on or something...That's what parks are for...we practice our fly casting as well...So why not..

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 04:11:43 PM »

Hi golfman65,i think you really like to fight a big fish on your fly rod,right??WEll wait till you hook one on your pin rod,that even feel better than on your fly rod,cause the pin reel we are most using is with no drag system,the only drag is your own hand...I really think you should bring your buddy out more often after you have your pin set up ;) ;)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 05:50:28 PM »

Hi golfman65,i think you really like to fight a big fish on your fly rod,right??WEll wait till you hook one on your pin rod,that even feel better than on your fly rod,cause the pin reel we are most using is with no drag system,the only drag is your own hand...I really think you should bring your buddy out more often after you have your pin set up ;) ;)

yeah, I think your right...give us both something to laugh at   ;)

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 07:06:15 PM »

Wat pin man?

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »

Big T i got a new pin today
Hey fishfreak,Welcome to the dark side ;) :D

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 08:28:02 PM »

Like i say fishfreak,welcome to the dark side,Avon supreme is a good pin,hope you enjoy your new toy ;),and i know later on you will be buy another pin and rod too :D :D :D.
I will be heading out on sunday for sure,and tuesday on and on  ;)hopefully i will be seeing you at the flow ;D,might call you later

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 03:42:23 PM »

OK....Went out today and traded the ct 2106 in for a cp 3113...(sage cp rod)...Now gotta find a reel...should be an interesting winter....cheap entertainment for all those watching at least.. :D