Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interior Lake fishing season 2021  (Read 5357 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Interior Lake fishing season 2021
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 01:30:08 AM »

If you didnt say it, no chance I would have believed it. Hope it tasted as good as it looked...

It was pretty good, Erin did a good job cooking it. You should have stayed for dinner before heading home. ;D

Video out tonight!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 06:31:33 PM »

New video! We're dropping chironomids down to 30+ feet with our gear rods..... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sxwxm6LhVo

Video begins at 7pm!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 12:16:58 PM »

New video! We're dropping chironomids down to 30+ feet with our gear rods..... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sxwxm6LhVo

Video begins at 7pm!

The Facebook comments about that not being flyfishing are pure gold  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 12:28:02 PM »

Haha... Those comments have inspired me to use a hand line when I film next time. ;D

koko

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 05:36:56 PM »

The Facebook comments about that not being flyfishing are pure gold  ;D
Some people do like to use fastest sinking line to do daggling you know that is fly fishing.

DanTfisherman

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2021, 06:35:42 PM »

My kids do very well with a chroni and a spinning rod.
I help them set the depth and they can pretty much do the rest.
Both of my kids have had better days than me on occasion when they are tired, kinda done, and suspend the rods off the edge of the boat, so are fishing below the boat.

Just getting ready and hoping to gear up and leave just after Canada Day long weekend.
Last year I had Bella out and we lived out of the trailer on forestry sites in the Cariboo, Chilcotin, and Thompson/Nicola for close to 55 days.
Trip was awesome and lots of fish every day.
Hoping to do the same with Gabby this year and the heat does not impact us too much.
Last year, mid July, some of what I would consider the lower elevation lakes were hovering at 55 degrees and were having good chrinomid hatches.

Dano

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2021, 07:39:58 PM »

@Rod, what are your thoughts on still water fishing at these temperatures? 

I presume many (most?) lake temperatures are heading way over 65 degrees C and I believe that fish mortality grows exponentially with increasing temperature.

Therefore, at what temperature does it become unethical to catch and release fish.  I realize that is very subjective, but any thoughts, opinions or links to articles/guidance would be appreciated.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2021, 08:13:34 PM »

@Rod, what are your thoughts on still water fishing at these temperatures? 

I presume many (most?) lake temperatures are heading way over 65 degrees C and I believe that fish mortality grows exponentially with increasing temperature.

Therefore, at what temperature does it become unethical to catch and release fish.  I realize that is very subjective, but any thoughts, opinions or links to articles/guidance would be appreciated.

My last trip, which is this latest video, was about two weeks ago. Surface water temperature was 61F when we ended that day. I took my boat off the truck already lol, mostly because my focus will shift to the West Coast of VI next week plus this heat would be unbearable in the boat at the lakes. Post-release mortality will definitely go up when surface temperature gets up there, depending on how much handling is involved once the fish get in the net. I'm not really in the position to say what's right or wrong when the fisheries are open, but I personally am not too concerned about increased mortality since they are all stocked fish in a enclosed environment so conservation is not really a concern. If this was rivers, and wild steelhead, trout or sockeye are going belly up after being released, then I'd be pushing for closures or making people aware of their actions.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2021, 08:23:28 AM »

Great videos Rod! A bit of a late start for us due to the travel restrictions, but decent fishing! Thanks for sharing!!!  :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2021, 09:16:08 AM »

My last trip, which is this latest video, was about two weeks ago. Surface water temperature was 61F when we ended that day. I took my boat off the truck already lol, mostly because my focus will shift to the West Coast of VI next week plus this heat would be unbearable in the boat at the lakes. Post-release mortality will definitely go up when surface temperature gets up there, depending on how much handling is involved once the fish get in the net....

the data on water temperature and trout c&r mortality is mostly collected from streams. Unlike lakes, rivers & creeks generally don't stratify, that is form temperature layers. Once river temperatures rise above about 19 degrees Celsius the trout are constantly exposed to that temperature risk. One significant reason trout do so poorly as water temperatures climb above 19 degrees is that water holds less dissolved oxygen the warmer it gets!

I think most stillwater anglers are aware that after completing their spring turnover, lakes stratify in 3 layers. As spring and summer progresses the upper layer gets thicker and warmer. While in most cases it might be no more than 5 or 6 feet thick it can get to temperatures of 30 Celsius that are quickly fatal to trout and be as thick as 30 feet!

Generally the thickness and temperature of that upper layer will be inversely related to the depth and size of the lake. Large deep lakes will have thinner upper layers. If you've ever dived into a lake in summer you may have experienced a sudden change from warm to chilly water just a few feet below the surface. You can also experience this by treading water and dangling your feet into the middle temperature layer.

So what's this all mean for c&r fishing on lakes when surfaces temperatures rise above 65 degrees Fahrenheit? Well not much at first but as the hot summer weather continues, the upper layer of warm water gets warmer and thicker.  As the water reaches 70 degrees F or so the trout really won't go into it and anglers need to fish just below the top layer. It's best to reduce the time the fish is exposed to that warm upper layer. Let them stay deep at first and bring them to the surface quickly as they tire & release immediately once landed.

Eventually the top layer gets so thick and the middle layer loses so much oxygen that the fish go into the summer doldrums and you should move to high elevation lakes or go fishing in cold mountain streams.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod