Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alouette regulations  (Read 3620 times)

Dryfly22

Re: Alouette regulations
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 10:03:24 AM »

Thanks for the link bbk.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 10:42:45 AM »

They still do the clicker counting, I ran across them everyday last year on a river near my house but it's the only time and place I've ever seen them.

I have seen it done on the Harrison but it is an incomplete count. They count specific species and count morts only. For the most part they count the ones on the beach or near the shoreline. I have seen them fish morts out of the water from a boat but not for sometime.

The folks who do this are contracted. They are not employed by DFO.

Also they do examine dead females to judge spawning success. They slice the abdomens low on the side - not a ventral cut. I mention this because from time to time there is some panic that this is evidence of illegal roe harvest from live females. I talked to a guy about after watching him do such an examination. I asked if they do similar surveys on the Chilliwack and he said they do.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 07:53:15 PM »

Oh interesting, ya the guys I talked to said they work for dfo but they don't have the same rights as a dfo officer to ticket or anything like that. Just that they do the research. Most of the time it was this one guy and a different student or two. They would throw stones and count the fish moving along with cutting all the dead fish in half and adding it to a tally.