Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alouette regulations  (Read 3619 times)

essyoo

Alouette regulations
« on: October 04, 2021, 04:54:59 PM »

Not my usual spot but was going to give it a try on one of my lunch breaks this week. Checking the regs today and see that it's still listed as "no fishing for salmon". Is it usually one that they update the regs later in the season or is it really closed this year? Is the hatchery program finished in there?

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
Re: Alouette regulations
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 05:30:53 PM »

It's usually open by now. I've been checking the regs everyday but no change. I see nothing about why it would be closed on the Alco park hatchery website or ARMS website.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 06:22:53 PM »

chum returns have been low and pressure has been heavy. Some folks have been fishing tributaries that don't get any hatchery contribution and still killing chums. My guess it will remain closed this year unless returns at the hatchery are good enough to allow some fishing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 07:33:12 PM »

“No Fishing” is certainly a lot clearer than the muddled mess that the Alouette regs were last year

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 07:34:03 PM »

I've had dozens of people messaging me about this, so have sent out these concerns, just waiting for responses.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 05:52:42 AM »

Thanks rod! Ya I was hoping they would allow atleast the 1 hatchery coho. Saves me some gas and some shoulder to shoulder fishing.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 07:10:34 AM »

chum returns have been low and pressure has been heavy. Some folks have been fishing tributaries that don't get any hatchery contribution and still killing chums. My guess it will remain closed this year unless returns at the hatchery are good enough to allow some fishing.

that seems far to thoughtful when the real reason is probably no one is driving the ship.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 04:30:56 PM »

yup it's been updated. Same muddled mess as last year though somewhere in there 4 days of exciting fishing went  missing! ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dryfly22

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 09:57:35 AM »

Who would I send a message to inquiring about some of the other systems regarding freshwater salmon closures and reasoning behind it?  Curious as to why no fishing for salmon at De Boville Slough when previous years it has been open as well.  An email link to the correct person would be appreciated.  thanks.

redside1

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 08:11:42 PM »

Who would I send a message to inquiring about some of the other systems regarding freshwater salmon closures and reasoning behind it?  Curious as to why no fishing for salmon at De Boville Slough when previous years it has been open as well.  An email link to the correct person would be appreciated.  thanks.

any hatchery coho returning to  De Boville slough? if not , that's the reason why it's closed. Virtually all streams with wild stock only in region 2 are closed to targeting salmon even though one may be only wanting to catch and release. It's been this way since April 1 2020.
even places like the Upper Pitt river that is fished hard for catch and release coho's by the jet boat guys is now closed to all salmon fishing

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 08:24:48 PM »

any hatchery coho returning to  De Boville slough? if not , that's the reason why it's closed. Virtually all streams with wild stock only in region 2 are closed to targeting salmon even though one may be only wanting to catch and release. It's been this way since April 1 2020.
even places like the Upper Pitt river that is fished hard for catch and release coho's by the jet boat guys is now closed to all salmon fishing

There are hatchery coho returning to Hyde Creek, and they come in via De Boville Slough. I used to bike all the way to the mouth of the slough and....

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 08:52:11 PM »

Barbara.Mueller@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 08:56:15 PM »

there are other streams with input of hatchery coho that are not open to salmon fishing... Burnette creek in New Westminster/Burnaby is another example.

As I recall the reason why all streams and rivers in Region 2 were initially restricted to no fishing for salmon was that DFO had been unable to do stream assessments for many years and had no idea of what condition the various runs of salmon were in. what we got was openings for streams and rivers with reasonably good levels of hatchery input. It would be nice to know what if anything  DFO has been able to do to improve it's knowledge base of the health of these streams! Best I know only Region 2 and 3 has these sweeping restrictions. In the case of Reg 3 that was more related to the Big Bar slide.

I think we know many of not most of our local rivers are in dire straits but how much is a general closure helping? The no fishing for salmon rule is very easily circumvented and people in many locations - like the Fraser Bars, continue to do it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 09:33:55 PM »

Once upon a time DFO walked creek with clicker counters and a stick to scare out hiding fosh from banks.

Thoes days are long gone. Best I know is some stream keepers
Do that work now but they tend to keep the numbers close to their chest and members.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 07:02:33 AM »

They still do the clicker counting, I ran across them everyday last year on a river near my house but it's the only time and place I've ever seen them.