Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How's the Squamish?  (Read 5317 times)

gman

How's the Squamish?
« on: November 03, 2009, 12:02:51 PM »

Most years the chum run in the Squamish is starting to peak around now. I know retention is closed, but am wondering how the run is doing this year? Are there many fishermen out, or is it pretty quiet given the no retention?

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: How's the Squamish?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:15:55 PM »

I was in Squamish yesterday, all the rivers in the area were running pretty coloured except for the Mamquam, saw quite a few chum but they look like they are past their
  "best before date "   would give it a few more rainless days before I bothered fishing up that way
I saw two other fishermen the whole day

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »

Two days ago on the high tide I saw more fish coming up than I have in three years. Massive school after massive school. Tough to catch as the conditions in the water were less than ideal. Wound up short floating pink wool with the CP and only hooking a couple but they were bullets. Not bad considering the conditions. The fish are in there for sure but there are many as said past their prime. Go on the incoming tide and some freshies might be coming up. Best part is I found a new spot and enjoyed the beach with a buddy and that is it. ;D Good to see better numbers this year. :)
always a student

c-pin

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »

I was there yesterday.

Squamish - The colour of chocolate milk, and the consistency of pea soup.

Checkamus - Pretty much the same, but much clearer above the Cheakeye.

Mamquam - Pretty good shape. Good flow. Visibility not an issue.

As far as the fishing goes, I saw large numbers of fish at the Mamquam / Squamish confluence, moving in at high tide. Not as easy to catch as in years past (in my experience). I usually use 15 lb Main Line and 12 lb Leader for Chums. I went down to 10 lb Leader, and had hook-ups, but lost fish as the leader snapped.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 05:35:09 PM »

See anyone bonking them or are people following the regs?

catch22

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:20:25 PM »

fished the squamish at the mamquam on sunday lots of fresh and not fresh fish all with sea lice .was the best fishing Ive seen in years ,thanks fishing gods.there was only about ten guys there all fly fishing ,i was getting most of the fish on a hot pink Popsicle and no i didn't see anyone killing or mishandling the fish.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »

Everyone I have seen have been obeying the rules.haven't reemed anyone out for anything yet but haven't been out as much as usual due to school. Too many other rivers they can retain meat on and snag closer to home. Hope they never open chum or pinks up my way again to tell you the truth, had a lot of fun this season for the most part as compared to the rest of the cupcakes going on out there you guys speak of.
always a student

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 10:59:47 PM »

:) :) :)  good to hear!

Steelconvert

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »

Do most of you folks fish the lower part of the Squamish? Does anybody have any comments on the upper reaches of the River as you drive up the Squamish Valley - where it becomes a gravel road and into the logging area? I was there may years ago and we had a little luck with fishing. The reason I ask is that back then you could camp on the riverside an make a weekend of it.

Thanks

nvloc

• Undoing wind knots since 1994.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »

I've been fishing the squamish system with regularity this season and I cannot concur with the rest of the reports. on good water days, the fishing has been moderate at best. on bad water days, its exactly that. The question should be, will the squamish ever recover?

marbles

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 06:51:29 PM »

what rodes do you turn off in squamish to hit the river??Is it a gong show or is there room to move around

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »

With the nonretention this year and last on pinks ('07)and chums the Squamish is a joy to fish. No crowds,lots of room, plenty of hook ups when you time it right on the tides and 90% of the anglers are experienced in the proper ways to land and release fish. I also like the fact that you don't have to worry about what the other guy is doing.... long drifting , casting over you line or continueing to fish when your have a fish on.  It's a great place to take kids,visitors and newbies to teach them how to fish. The scenery is awesome too.
It ain't the roe bro'

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 06:06:31 PM »

Can't keep the rain away long enough to get good conditions.  :P  It's going to be tough this year on the Squamish if we don't get some cooler weather. There's fish in spots but I like it when you can just walk the mainstem for miles and fish as you go.