Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Conflicts between duck hunters and coho anglers  (Read 4594 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Conflicts between duck hunters and coho anglers
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 07:31:44 PM »

The story strikes me as inconsistent with the contemporary situation.

Meaning?

(Please excuse my limited reading comprehension.)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2022, 07:35:00 AM »

the story doesn't make sense. Where, for example, does one launch a power boat above the confluence with Norrish creek? You said the incident took place above that point, yes?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2022, 07:45:59 AM »

You can “launch” a car topper along Nicomen Slough Road.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2022, 09:16:12 AM »

And you have done this? well one could launch one right at the #7 Bridge at Deroche - it would have to be hauled over the dyke. hen where to go? There are farms etc in that area so not a good place to hunt or discharge a firearmIMO.

Not a lot of fishing there either. As I said not many coho or angling above Norrish. If this happened as described I think it was an odd ball event. The angler perhaps a bit of a screw ball. I think most of us have had similar experiences over many years but they aren't the norm.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2022, 10:31:45 AM »

It happened as described. Near Johnson Road and Nicomen Slough Road there are places to slide a cartopper into the water. A short distance downstream, there is potential for conflict between angler and hunters, even when the hunter is acting legally and responsibly and the angler is not a screw ball.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2022, 01:39:01 PM »

Yes there is the potential but almost hunters are responsible  enough not to set up below Norrish.

roeman

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2022, 02:35:23 PM »

Yes there is the potential but almost hunters are responsible  enough not to set up below Norrish.
What world do you live in???
They will set up where the birds fly and that changes day by day depending on the current weather. 
Just like the people that insist on fishing above the boundary on the upper Chilliwack..
The guy that does under water videos takes alot of hooks out everytime he swims above the boundary.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 02:39:53 PM by roeman »
Are you fishin or catchin

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2022, 03:34:07 PM »

Right. Remember me saying that he set up above the confluence.

Besides, I don’t think it’s fair to label hunters irresponsible if the set up below the confluence. There’s a lot of water above #7 and below the confluence that rarely sees anglers on foot or boat and could safely and responsibly be hunted.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2022, 04:46:03 PM »

There’s a lot of water above #7 and below the confluence that rarely sees anglers on foot or boat and could safely and responsibly be hunted.

uh... no I am there isn't. Most is available and used from the bank or by boat. there is about half a km east of Rowan Road that is private property on the south bank then it is very close to the Hwy which is very popular with people who view eagles. That's not good waterfowl habitat either. FWIW I have never heard a firearm discharged or seen discarded shells below inch creek and almost never above the confluence.

I also want to point out that this isn't your story, you are relating it second hand. After your first post you clarified (or added to it) your original post by saying it was above Norrish. Beyond that you never specified where it was. The original point, that maybe anglers needed to respect shoreline and water areas waterfowl hunters stake out was fine with me. However hunters have to be sure they are not putting other people in harms way which means avoiding areas where people could possibly be such as walking trails, fishing spots, highways and residences. As I said I once had my own experience where both I and my father were close to having our heads blown off to the point where the water within 15 feet in front of us was turned to froth as high as 6 feet  because a hunter came around the corner and saw a duck in the water. He didn't know we were there, didn't look, didn't apologize & just slunk off out of sight. But those were the bad old days.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 11:10:36 AM by RalphH »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2022, 07:53:44 PM »

I see we have differing perspectives.

Cheers.

4x4

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2022, 10:58:47 AM »

You can take a boat well past Johnson road on a high tide. Can't on a low unless it's a highwater year.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2022, 10:07:33 AM »

the story doesn't make sense. Where, for example, does one launch a power boat above the confluence with Norrish creek?
There's a launch down by the confluence with the Fraser. Powered craft can and do occasionally foray above Hwy 7.

The original point, that maybe anglers needed to respect shoreline and water areas waterfowl hunters stake out was fine with me. However hunters have to be sure they are not putting other people in harms way which means avoiding areas where people could possibly be such as walking trails, fishing spots, highways and residences.

I dont have it readily available, but if you look at the regs/maps, the allowable hunting area where firearms discharge is permitted is fairly limited. Definitely nothing close to any roads nor anything below Hwy 7 that I recall.

If you can find the proper map, I suspect it would narrow down where this incident could have occurred to a few potential areas where conflict with anglers would be likely.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2022, 04:18:52 PM »

Yes I have heard some say they have run their jetboat from the Fraser to Judd Creek but that was usually during the Fraser freshet. Dewdney/Nicomen slough is an old side channel of the Fraser and it goes up and down with the main river. Norrish Creek puts a big sand and gravel plug in the river and I don't think a jet boat will get over it in low water. this would be particularly true if they obeyed the 8km speed limit in place on the slough which many do not.