Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Talisman or Kingfisher  (Read 21286 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Talisman or Kingfisher
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »

Islander is actually a tougher and heavier reel, its a bearing reel as well not a "true" center pin. Kingfisher is a bushing reel and weighs alot less, this is a true center pin reel unless you buy the 5" bearing Kingfisher that is

lots of guys i know fish Islanders and love them, I also know lots of guys that had them and sold them to buy Kingfishers  ;) If i buy another pin reel it will probably be a Kingfisher or even a Talisman.

some jackass(kidding Flyrod) here actually has a Macdonald up for sale  :o which is what i really want but i dont have $800 to throw at just a reel  ::) (not now at least)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 11:49:44 AM »

Don't let us stop you from buying one they are also good reels, it's all about personal preference. Each reel has its good qualities but it just seems that once you've owned an Islander and try out a Milner reel, you want to buy one.

I agree, the Islander is a great reel and I enjoy using it. I just wish they would have put the clicker knob the same place they are on the Milner's, but then I guess they would've had to make a left and a right model instead of the ambidextrous one. I got a look at the new Islander that is coming out and it does have the knob on the back. I think this will be good for their sales. Some people don't even use the clicker , except for travelling from here to there, I do though, I like the sound of a screaming reel in my hands ;D

For a person just getting started, I would suggest they go cheap, for the simple reason, it's not for everyone. Some people will go out and buy a $600 reel with a $500 rod, fish twice and say this is crazy , I can't do this, and go back to their baitcaster etc. But then that's where we get the good deals sometimes. ;D ;D

I think we all should tell "Flyrod" to lower the price on that MacDonald, say $500 obo ;D ;D Definately get some bites then ;) ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:56:27 AM by Bently »

n8

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 12:01:35 PM »

if you can cast with a tree directly beside you then why not a person ? ever try casting your pin at Cement slab on the rocky side but trying to reach the other side of the river ? The more you fish the easier it gets and you will learn a big arsenal of casts for different situations. I have personally been trying to perfect the sling shot cast but i think my reel needs to be "worked in" more to do it right  :-\

Ntjipta - when do you normally go fishing ? I fish duing the week when i work afternoons but usually hit the water most weekends as well

Hook - I fish whenever my schedule allows for it.. Now it's usually weekends and some thursdays during school. I went yesterday and got a ton of coho. Landed 3 nice big wild ones as well. bonus that I only hooked 2 chum and 1 whitie

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 01:20:06 PM »

Bently - If I even thought Rod would lower that Macdonald to $500 it would already be on my rod  ;D I actually bought my entire centre pin setup from him (one i fish now) and i know he doesnt wiggle to to much on prices. He sells top notch stuff though and always in the condition he says if not better then stated
Check out our new blog

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 03:54:18 PM »

Bently - If I even thought Rod would lower that Macdonald to $500 it would already be on my rod  ;D I actually bought my entire centre pin setup from him (one i fish now) and i know he doesnt wiggle to to much on prices. He sells top notch stuff though and always in the condition he says if not better then stated

That's what I here, and for 500 ....absolutely ;D My bling Islander and sage 3113m is way more than I need, but got a sweet deal I couldn't refuse, so i went for it  :). I used to fish an old Allcocks Match Aerial with an old 11 ft Eagle Claw moocher, but it got ripped off.  >:( >:(

Danube Boy

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 05:34:51 PM »

Islander is actually a tougher and heavier reel, its a bearing reel as well not a "true" center pin. Kingfisher is a bushing reel and weighs alot less, this is a true center pin reel unless you buy the 5" bearing Kingfisher that is

lots of guys i know fish Islanders and love them, I also know lots of guys that had them and sold them to buy Kingfishers  ;) If i buy another pin reel it will probably be a Kingfisher or even a Talisman.

some jackass(kidding Flyrod) here actually has a Macdonald up for sale  :o which is what i really want but i dont have $800 to throw at just a reel  ::) (not now at least)

Always wodered why people say the Islander is heavy, given that: IS in 4.5" weighs 8.5oz; Kingfisher in 4.375" weighs 9.56oz (bushing) and 8.94oz (bearing). Are you referring to Islander's larger line capacity, so when its lined it's heavier?

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »

the islander is a lighter reel for sure, due to all the porting on it. it is a very tough reel, milners are also tough so there is no real advantage there. I dont know what hook is talking about when he says its not a true centerpin? its run on a spindle with bearings and with 1:1 gear ratio, maybe he meant because it wasnt bushing? I dont think hook has owned either of them...I have 4 Milners and owned a steelheader...you cant beat the quality john makes. plus the quick release spool is handy when on the river.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 10:07:24 PM »

No I don't have either because I wanted a bullet proof Silex but most of the guys I know have owned both and prefer the KF. I was just told the IS was heavier, it looks heavier that's for sure. And yes I meant because it's not bushing
Check out our new blog

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 10:21:29 PM »

No I don't have either because I wanted a bullet proof Silex but most of the guys I know have owned both and prefer the KF. I was just told the IS was heavier, it looks heavier that's for sure. And yes I meant because it's not bushing

There's a Silex on here for sale i think....$300....not positive though. There's also one on craigslist if your interested

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 10:23:17 PM »

the islander is a lighter reel for sure, due to all the porting on it. it is a very tough reel, milners are also tough so there is no real advantage there. I dont know what hook is talking about when he says its not a true centerpin? its run on a spindle with bearings and with 1:1 gear ratio, maybe he meant because it wasnt bushing? I dont think hook has owned either of them...I have 4 Milners and owned a steelheader...you cant beat the quality john makes. plus the quick release spool is handy when on the river.

4 milners?? are you an addict or what?? ;D

slurpie

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 10:42:07 PM »

although the islander may be lighter in total weight, the start up of the spool feels much lighter for the kingfisher, especially with the 4" spool.  I find that to cast the islander, I need to initiate the spool spinning earlier, or use more weight to cast.  In certain situations, less weight may be required.  That is where the kingfisher shines.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 10:54:59 PM »

I already own one and fish it alot. The Silex is a fairly heavy reel especially with 100yrds of backing then 250yrds 15lb mono and it could fit more still, I fish it on a Sage 3113MB
Check out our new blog