Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire Under Canal Highway Bridge Causes Accident  (Read 21224 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Fire Under Canal Highway Bridge Causes Accident
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 07:51:58 PM »

there's your problem - all you smart guys who say it's due to people tailgating, how meters do you need between a car and the car in front of it if the speed is 100km? I bet no one can get the answer right without going to some source via google.

Hint - Rustybee you must have a very very long car.

I think the 3 second rule accurate.  So at 100 km/hr, you travel 100,000 metres in an hour, 1667 metres in a minute or 28 metres a second. So if you apply the 3second rule, would need 84 metres of separation between cars travelling at 100 km/hr

With that distance, 3 cars would pull in between!

norton

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 08:39:40 PM »

If you run in the the back of someone it's always your fault .  You are either tailgating or distracted or both. Most people who drive today tailgate. There have been lots of accidents on the bridge and they'll be a lot more.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 09:42:21 PM »

There was a big collision on the Second Narrows bridge yesterday afternoon. Had traffic backed up to Hastings.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 09:55:18 PM »

If you run in the the back of someone it's always your fault .  You are either tailgating or distracted or both. Most people who drive today tailgate. There have been lots of accidents on the bridge and they'll be a lot more.

However, it's common on the coast for people to cut you off and purposely slam on their brakes for insurance coverage for whiplash. Witnesses are so important these days for this crap. I hope one day every car has a dash cam recording when the engine is on; when an accident occurs all footage is locked out until ICBC can review it.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 09:58:09 PM »

However, it's common on the coast for people to cut you off and purposely slam on their brakes for insurance coverage for whiplash. Witnesses are so important these days for this crap. I hope one day every car has a dash cam recording when the engine is on; when an accident occurs all footage is locked out until ICBC can review it.

Only in a perfect world...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

dave c

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 11:33:03 PM »

Reports on BCTV news said the visibility was so poor on the bridge due to the smoke that one vehichle actually came to a complete stop on the bridge deck.  What followed was inevitable, tailgating or not.  Every year you hear of multiple vehichle pileups, usually due to dense fog.  IMHO coming to a complete stop on a highway with a 100kph speed limit in thick smoke is lunacy!

arimaBOATER

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 11:33:38 PM »

That bridge should be wider with paved shoulders & railings. It's narrow & cars are funnelled thru.
Tail gating is a big problem. Guess we need air bags on our rear bumpers as well as inside the car.
Thank goodness no one was killed.
Highways are 10x more dangerous than city roadways because of the higher speeds.
What gets me is some drivers go the posted roadside speed & in whatever road conditions,snow,black ice,heavy rain ,fog ...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 12:04:32 AM »

That bridge should be wider with paved shoulders & railings. It's narrow & cars are funnelled thru.
Tail gating is a big problem. Guess we need air bags on our rear bumpers as well as inside the car.
Thank goodness no one was killed.
Highways are 10x more dangerous than city roadways because of the higher speeds.
What gets me is some drivers go the posted roadside speed & in whatever road conditions,snow,black ice,heavy rain ,fog ...

And there is talk about increasing the speed limit.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 04:45:49 AM »

...but that is the problem, and that is why people tailgate so much...they actually care if someone pulls in front of them.  You are both travelling 100km/hr so the guy in front of you is going to reach your destination a fraction of a second before you...so what.  It is this mentality, that I own the road and no one should be able to pass me, that leads to many bad habits out there.  I do not want any one pulling in front of me, so I pull up closer to the car in front if me.  Now, no one can pass me and get in front if me.  But this also means no one can get off the highway since the guy behind you has done the same thing, and the guy behind him has done the same.  Nor can anyone merge onto the highway as there is not enough space to merge, so everyone had to slow down now as cars force their way into these tight lines and people get cut off, weave quickly out of traffic, etc.   If everyone followed the 3 second rule (so distance between increases with speed, not decreases as is current practice), "rush hour" would not last 6 hours and people would not stress themselves out so much.  If people left more space in front of them, allowed people to merge in front of them (instead of jealously guarding the space in front if their cars like it is their most valuable possession), then traffic would flow much more freely and there would be fewer accidents.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 04:54:29 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 05:03:36 AM »

???? I have driven on the coast for a few decades and this has never happened to me, so it cannot be that "common."  Perhaps you need to stay off our coastal roads , so you avoid any frivolous lawsuits.  If someone purposefully cuts in front of you and slams on the brakes, they are more than likely pissed off at you for something you did (ie: you dared to enter the space between them and the car in front if them a few minutes earlier).
Not all those who wander are lost

losos

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 06:48:30 AM »

I think the 3 second rule accurate.  So at 100 km/hr, you travel 100,000 metres in an hour, 1667 metres in a minute or 28 metres a second. So if you apply the 3second rule, would need 84 metres of separation between cars travelling at 100 km/hr

Still 28 meters is a very long vehicle ,size of a semi trailer truck perhaps.
Funny how every body is talking about that 3 sec rule as if they never drove in the real world.
Try to do that and you'll have 3-4 cars trying to squeeze in between. I've seen situations where the gap between cars was so tight that a compact car would have problem to fit in and yet some jerk forced his way in.
People are what they are for good or bed . In mu opinion police should increase their presence and enforce road rules. In Europe you get ticketed for not having working lights or to dirty vehicle. Not only that ,they also will not let you drive it until vehicle is fixed and inspected. Unfortunately this is not the priority of our law enforcement ,only occasionally.
On the positive side the new vehicles there are systems introduced  such as active cruise control that will mitigate if not prevent such accidents.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 07:07:17 AM by losos »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 08:22:15 AM »

Still 28 meters is a very long vehicle ,size of a semi trailer truck perhaps.

it's about 2x the length of the trailer.

Reports on BCTV news said the visibility was so poor on the bridge due to the smoke that one vehichle actually came to a complete stop on the bridge deck.

this is another phenomena I see fairly often - people who come to a complete stop where it is both dangerous and in-courteous ( whatever happened to courteous driving?) to do so. Many people just don't use their brain when it comes what is going on behind them
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:27:07 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 08:26:01 AM »

..  If everyone followed the 3 second rule (so distance between increases with speed, not decreases as is current practice), "rush hour" would not last 6 hours and people would not stress themselves out so much.  If people left more space in front of them, allowed people to merge in front of them (instead of jealously guarding the space in front if their cars like it is their most valuable possession), then traffic would flow much more freely and there would be fewer accidents.

Actually traffic modeling and flow studies have shown rush hour bumper traffic demonstrates that the 2-3 second rule is not just a rule but more like a physical law. In stop and go traffic traffic flow slows down to match the rule.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2013, 09:10:49 AM »

What do you think the suspected fire starters did when the crash happened?

Its tough when people are so damn determined to cut in front of you and close up the space I left for safety. Gets worse every year with more congestion and poor driving skills.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:21:59 AM by leadbelly »

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »

I think I heard that Rodney and Chris were smoking salmon under the bridge when Chris knocked over the bacon fat and caused the flare up...now this is only rumor to this point according to Rodney....