Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Albion Test Fishery - Chinook Numbers  (Read 20586 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Albion Test Fishery - Chinook Numbers
« on: June 19, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »

I was just looking at the test numbers from the last couple of weeks and they are significantly lower than the average norm:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/commercial/albionCHdailytotal-eng.htm

Does it mean that we should be expecting a poor return this season or is it still too early to judge? The graph (link above) shows that the peak of the season is around 1st or 2nd week of July and we are only 10 days away from that peak and the numbers are still close to zero!

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Albion Test Fishery - Chinook Numbers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:04:41 PM »

the lowest numbers since test began in 1981, so might not open till later in august.
         DFO NOTICE ;The 2013 Albion chinook test fishery began operating on April 21st.  A
cumulative total of five (5) chinook have been caught in the standard chinook
net; five additional chinook have been caught in the multi-panel net.  This is
the lowest catch observed for this time period since the inception of the
Albion chinook test fishery in 1981. The CPUE input into the model falls below
the range of historical observations of CPUE (1995 to 2012, excluding 2007)
used to develop the Albion prediction model.  Based on this CPUE, the current
predicted return of Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook to the mouth of the
Fraser ranges from 26 thousand to 57 thousand chinook with a mid-point of 38.6
thousand. 

As a result, the Department will manage fisheries based on management zone 1
(i.e. returns to the Fraser less than 45 thousand chinook) for Fraser
Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook.  Management actions for specific areas and
fisheries will be confirmed by separate fishery notices

RainbowMan

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:31:11 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, this year is the return of the poor run in 2008. Would it not make more sense if they don't open the river at all and let more spawners out of the gate before we lose them forever?? That is closing to all stakeholders including the FNs.

Robert_G

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:08:42 PM »

First nations have already recorded over 400 Chinook caught and killed in the Fraser this year...and that is ONLY what has been reported.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »

Absolutely brutal treatment of an amazing resource. These Chinook are the most sought after gamefish on the west coast.
The Americans got it right and built hatcheries and rebuilt the springer Chinook run to the point it is a multi million dollar fishery in both the ocean and river.
Meanwhile Canada does nothing and let's our commercial and commercial sport fleet hammer the US bound fish. Frankly I am shocked that the Americans put up with our lack of investment into coastwide Chinook numbers.
Gone are the days of April Chinooks before freshet, May and June fish are suffering and the only real decent fishing is on the late summer stocks and fall chinook.
Pathetic really, you wanna tax the crap out of our Sportfishing industry but give back nothing.

Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »

Blaming the natives is not reality either, commercial fishing and habitat are the real issues.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »

They don't want fish .Theyre just a nuisance to those that would like to build dams and pipelines.
I used to laugh when I heard this theory at first but I cant think of another reason why they would be so anti-fish over at DFO.
If it weren't for them Columbia fish the west coast would be lucky to be a fishing destination.
Anyone that remembers what the Alberni Inlet was like back in the day must be shaking there heads at what it is today.

zap brannigan

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 08:59:32 PM »

sold all our rivers off, fish will steadily decline every year they have higher priorities raping and pilaging our province to supply foreign demand for resources and electricity.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 05:09:31 PM »

We need more hatchery production like the Americans have. Back 20 years ago, the Stamp had 100K run of adult red spring. I even read an article on the American fishing magazine Field and Stream titled 'The Stamp of approval' reporting on the glorious run of chinooks and the wonderful job the Robertson Hatchery was doing. What are the return numbers there recently? Back in the Expo years and subsequent to that, the Capilano River was stocked abundantly to impress Expo tourists on the fabulous salmon fishing of Canada. The Cap had so many coho it wasn't funny. Fish would charge up in waves up the river all day. The coho run there now is a joke compared to the glory days. The environment hasn't changed much for these rivers, and the commercials are not allowed to catch like before. What else is the difference? The hatchery production is not like before while we are paying more license fees.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:16:15 PM by liketofish »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »

Watching some of the hatchery chinook fishing in the states on Youtube is just crazy. Fish after fish, easily putting a camera on the water to get a bobber down because they know if they float their roe through the run that they will get one. So much different, would be a nice thing to see.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »

A few years back I had a chance to talk to a White Rock retired teacher who came to my house to buy my pair of new high end wading boots which didn't fit me (as I bought from ebay). He related his steelheading fishing experience which just shocked me. He said he only fished the American rivers for steelhead because the steelhead fishing there is so much better than our own. He named quite a few of the rivers and told me that sometimes, he could be into double digit hookups any day there. I told him I did pretty ok on the Vedder, average 1 hook up every 2 trips. He just laughed and I choked. I often thought BC has much better steelhead fishing than Yankee land.

bcguy

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »

I often thought BC has much better steelhead fishing than Yankee land.

Propaganda...
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 10:32:18 PM »

A few years back I had a chance to talk to a White Rock retired teacher who came to my house to buy my pair of new high end wading boots which didn't fit me (as I bought from ebay). He related his steelheading fishing experience which just shocked me. He said he only fished the American rivers for steelhead because the steelhead fishing there is so much better than our own. He named quite a few of the rivers and told me that sometimes, he could be into double digit hookups any day there. I told him I did pretty ok on the Vedder, average 1 hook up every 2 trips. He just laughed and I choked. I often thought BC has much better steelhead fishing than Yankee land.
If true, then why are there so many americans fishing the Vedd during steelhead season?

RainbowMan

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 08:56:43 AM »

I have heard from many sources that rivers in northern Oregon produce good number of hatch steel every winter but I'm not sure if that's the case in WA. Maybe the American anglers on the Fraser and Vedder are from WA??

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »

These Chinook are the most sought after gamefish on the west coast.
The Americans got it right and built hatcheries and rebuilt the springer Chinook run to the point it is a multi million dollar fishery in both the ocean and river.

how much are you wiling to personally spend a year to support such a hatchery program for the Fraser?... especially considering hatcheries built to support these runs in the 70s and 80s basically did not work. Nobody is going to support more hatcheries from general taxes so a few more anglers and guides can have better days of fishing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.