Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whitefish - Where to find and catch them? What to use?  (Read 20505 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Whitefish - Where to find and catch them? What to use?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 12:36:31 PM »

@ Nina.....mountain whitefish are prevalent throughout the entire fraser system whereas the lake whitefish are only found in the middle and upper reaches :)

http://www.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/risc/pubs/aquatic/freshfish/fresht-16.htm

The Lower (tidal portion more specifically) Fraser River does not have a established mountain whitefish population because of the salinity. This species is bounded by the freshwater ecosystem. You'll find them in Stave River, some of the smaller tributaries of the Lower Fraser River, but you will not find them consistently in the Fraser itself anywhere downstream from Mission, where people are mistakenly calling peamouth chub as whitefish.

frozensalmon

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »

pike minnow taste good...but TONS of tiny bones... 
more coho, more coho... ::)

mzmann

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 02:00:57 PM »

The Lower (tidal portion more specifically) Fraser River does not have a established mountain whitefish population because of the salinity. This species is bounded by the freshwater ecosystem. You'll find them in Stave River, some of the smaller tributaries of the Lower Fraser River, but you will not find them consistently in the Fraser itself anywhere downstream from Mission, where people are mistakenly calling peamouth chub as whitefish.

:-[ ...oops, my mistake then, lol....makes sense about the tidal portion/salinity though....but..you say you will not find them consistently, lol....doesn't mean that there is "NO" whitefish period in the lower fraser as was stated earlier...just not as likely really I guess  ;D  ;)
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »

pike minnow taste good...but TONS of tiny bones... 

MMmmmmMMmm I love barbequed mistaken whitefish pikeminnow.

Sam6140

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 03:19:35 PM »

Thanks people.  Ok, this post has gotten a little out of hand.  I would think most of you would know the difference between a Whitefish (Mountain Whitefish/salmonoid) and a Northern Pikeminnow or Peamouth Chub.  Pikeminnows are found almost everywhere, especially the Fraser.  I asked about Whitefish, and I mean Whitefish.  I know my fish species.

So, the Stave has them.  Is this the River or the Lake part being best for targeting them?  What time of the year is best?

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »

i catch quite a few white fish in the chilliwack river above tamihai on really anything, wool, blades, jigs, roe.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

RG

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »

The Stave is good for whitefish (salmonid) all year.  Start casting near the damn and work your way down river.  Be mindful of spawning channels and stay clear.  It can be hit or miss with them, some days produce a couple while others can produce in the double digits, focus on matching the hatch (pardon the cliche).  Don't be surprised if you get into a few cutties and if you're lucky some winter steel, depending on when you go of course.  Fly fishing works well, simply use leech patterns as your locator fly, to be honest any of the usual suspects will produce fish, single egg patterns work well in late fall and early winter and go to fry pattern late winter and early spring.  If you're using gear then cast small spinners or spoons.  Keep in mind that none of this is set in stone, the key is to experiment and have fun!

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »

Ok, so I have never specifically targetted them but have caught a few as a by-catch. The Stave and Vedder are the only places which I have encountered them in the lower mainland. For the Vedder, it is not worth the time and effort targetting them. I have only caught one and only witnessed a few others caught. These fish also tend to be on the smaller side in my experience. That leaves the Stave. When fly fishing for Cutty's I have encountered quite a few, with the biggest around 16 inches and most around 10-12. Small minnow patterns fished near bottom in the spring and summer seem to be the best times. Once the salmon enter the whitefish become scarce so if you want to target them I would do it now. These fish normally sit near bottom so flies and bait must be fished deep, aside from a few hatches which cause a surface feeding frenzy. Start at the dam and work your way down for the Stave. Good luck :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Sam6140

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 05:52:55 PM »

thanks so much, guys!!  The Stave isn't TOO far from my house.  30 minutes or so.  I will give it a go tomorrow, if weather permits.  I've never been there before.  Is there parking?  Where should I park and start fishing (by the dam)?   Is this one of those kinds of targets, where I need to go at the crack of dawn, or anytime during the day?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:08:52 PM by Sam6140 »

RG

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »

There is a parking lot at Ruskin Dam, from there you'll be able to figure things out.  I don't pay attention to specific day timing for this type of fishery, it's a go when I can or driving by type of thing for me, certainly the hot action timing will vary, give it a go and let us know!

http://www.bchydro.com/community/recreation_areas/ruskin_dam.html

Sam6140

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 06:49:52 PM »

Thanks RG.  I'll give it a go.  How about going up Hayward St?  I can see a parking lot, and some nice pools over there (east side of the river) from looking at google map.

Burbot

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »

Whitefish have a adipose fin whereas Northern Pike Minnow and Pea Mouth Cub do not.

It is really disappointing how many people do not know how to id fish.  Whether whitefish or salmon or unable to tell a carp from a bass...I really think there needs to be a CORE type course before one can get a fishing license.

Sam6140

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »

Burbot:  Well said, man.  And it's not like there are a huge variety of fish species in BC's freshwater system either.     

Sam6140

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »

Forgot to ask:  Where is the "Toilet Bowl" section of the Stave River, and how do I get there?  I read a lot of good things about it online

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 10:39:39 PM »

It is right at the foot of the parking lot in the park, below the dam. It's hard to miss as it is just a deep pool just off the main flow
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'