Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Tidal Coho Opening  (Read 17852 times)

4x4

Re: Fraser Tidal Coho Opening
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2023, 05:52:08 AM »

Saw many fishing boats in the river today. What is DFO thinking. The Chum numbers are so low. Mind numbing.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html

Phronesis

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2023, 09:04:57 AM »

What is the reasoning behind this? Thought we are far from escapement numbers

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2023, 12:08:04 PM »

The DFO notice said escapement was not sufficient for a recreational opening. FNs get first priority.

As for numbers - I saw 1 boat with a net out while driving over the Alex Fraser Thursday. Most bands now just contract it out to one boat to get their allocation & distribute the catch from there.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2023, 12:09:58 PM »

anyone can submit feedback to the IFMP when the draft is put out in the spring, alternative you can attended your local sfac meeting and submit feedback or present motions that can be put forward to DFO.

the Fraser chum harvest plan is on page 315 of the IFMP

https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/library-bibliotheque/41187404.pdf

Fraser River Terminal Run Size <500,000

Harvest Plan- Reduced directed harvest of Chum Salmon in FSC and test fisheries. Harvest rate not to exceed 10% of the terminal run size for Fraser Chum

Lower Fraser First Nations - Reduced allocation and limited fisheries (reduced hours and days/week fishing)
Commercial - Closed
Recreational - Mainstem Fraser River and tributaries closed to fishing for Chum Salmon

Fraser River Terminal Run Size 500,000 to 800,000

Harvest Plan - Directed harvest of Chum Salmon limited to FSC and test fisheries. Catch not to exceed 91,800 (82,800 First Nations* and 9,000 test fishing).

Lower Fraser First Nations - Normal
Commercial - Closed
Recreational - Mainstem Fraser River closed to fishing for Chum Salmon. Non-retention of Chum Salmon in tributaries
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 12:15:23 PM by wildmanyeah »

Phronesis

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2023, 12:42:27 PM »

Thanks for the info🙏

4x4

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2023, 01:27:18 PM »

The DFO notice said escapement was not sufficient for a recreational opening. FNs get first priority.

As for numbers - I saw 1 boat with a net out while driving over the Alex Fraser Thursday. Most bands now just contract it out to one boat to get their allocation & distribute the catch from there.

There were 5 boats above Golden Ears Bridge yesterday and 7 today between GE and above Derby Reach.

stsfisher

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2023, 02:03:22 PM »

There were 5 boats above Golden Ears Bridge yesterday and 7 today between GE and above Derby Reach.
Yup about 7 or 8 working Derby all weekend.

coastangler

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2023, 06:21:03 PM »

pretty much, I think last year we made a discussion and asked anyone who caught one to post it and nobody posted a single catch and reported one...

Not that Youtube fishing videos are a reflection of reality (lol) but I remember stumping upon this video and noting to myself that I should give a go to the Tidal Fraser for Coho this season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvTtdeU5qY - so far I haven't convinced myself given how good is still in the rivers but that guy makes it look so easy haha
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2023, 06:37:58 PM »

Not that Youtube fishing videos are a reflection of reality (lol) but I remember stumping upon this video and noting to myself that I should give a go to the Tidal Fraser for Coho this season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvTtdeU5qY - so far I haven't convinced myself given how good is still in the rivers but that guy makes it look so easy haha
I stopped giving myself false confidence from videos of people catching. They could 20 years experience and be on their 11th outing of the season  ;)
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

coastangler

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2023, 06:48:25 PM »

I stopped giving myself false confidence from videos of people catching. They could 20 years experience and be on their 11th outing of the season  ;)

Agreed! Still entertaining to watch though (and dream about lol)
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2023, 03:12:29 PM »

d
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 11:32:06 AM by fic »

Jamier

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2023, 08:50:47 AM »

These sub areas they are referring to are on the outside.  Nothing open inside the river yet. Maybe we might see a notice today.

stsfisher

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2023, 11:20:32 AM »

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html

Coho salmon (hatchery)    29-1 to 29-5,29-8    30cm    Barbless Hook & Line    2/4/-    Open until Dec 31 (See Restrictions)

Seems like it's open now. Anyone Catch anything?
This is not a Fraser River opening, please delete as it will create a lot of confusion here with many anglers. Fraser River subs are 29-11 through 29-16 maybe a 17 in there. No where near the subs mentioned above.

Jamier

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2023, 10:26:24 AM »

Nov 3, 2023  No notices of any Tidal Fraser opening yet.  What are the chances? 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2023, 10:46:58 AM »

Nov 3, 2023  No notices of any Tidal Fraser opening yet.  What are the chances?

As much as there will be a sockeye opening.