Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Recommended Books/Literature on Fishing?  (Read 3806 times)

Woolly Rainbow

• Keeping it reel
Any Recommended Books/Literature on Fishing?
« on: December 29, 2021, 09:23:36 PM »

Does anyone have any recommendations for books that they have read that they found interesting or changed the way they approach angling? Would be interesting to see what others are studying or reading during this cold winter.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 09:28:43 PM by Woolly Rainbow »
“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after” (Henry David Thoreau).

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Any Recommended Books/Literature on Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 10:55:15 PM »

I've read a couple and this one was definitely my favourite!
Really helps you think like a fish in order to guess where to locate them, and great visuals.
https://burnaby.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S2C277441
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 11:16:17 PM »

West Coast River Angling by Eric Carlisle

Woolly Rainbow

• Keeping it reel
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 01:04:07 AM »

I've read a couple and this one was definitely my favourite!
Really helps you think like a fish in order to guess where to locate them, and great visuals.
https://burnaby.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S2C277441
Nice, I will have to check out and read those books!
“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after” (Henry David Thoreau).

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 09:41:05 AM »

Second that. When I was new to fishing in BC, it was the first book I bought and read. It set my course and lit a fire in me.

It was published in 1990 and is a little dated, but I would suggest that it is still the best book out there regarding river fishing for BC anadromous fish.   

Hancock Press has several other very good titles too: "Steelhead" and "Salt Water Fly Fishing", by Barry Thornton, and "West Coast Fly Fisher" and "West Coast Steelheader", both edited by Mark Pendlington, but I think that Carlisle's book is best for all around book.     

In fact, it's sitting on the bookshelf just to my right as I type this :)         
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 11:35:27 AM by clarki »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 10:35:35 AM »

for books that changed the way I approached angling any of the classic Roderick Haig-Brown books; The Western Angler, A River Never Sleeps, the quartet of fisherman's seasons books (Fisherman's Spring...etc). I first read these books before I was a teenager and still pick them up and read them 50+ years later. Published from the late 30s into the 60s they are timeless for various reasons not the least of which they are the best kind historical documents. Mostly about fly fishing, he also covers gear fishing rivers and in the ocean. If you ever tie flies, Gary Borger's Designing Trout flies was a game changer for me. For stream craft The Orvis Guide to Reading Trout Streams by Tom Rosenbauer is the best book on that subject I have read or seen.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 05:49:15 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

santefe

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 11:12:47 AM »

There are also some soft cover books on catching salmon by Charles White, Alec Merriman and Mike Cramond.  But these are for salt water fishing.  I think Charlie White also did one on fishing for steelhead but right now I can't find it.

chief

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 02:49:58 PM »

Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon - Bruce Ferguson  : Les Johnson  : Pat Trotter   Dry line Steelhead  - Bill McMillan   Island Fly Fisherman - Edited by Robert H Jones & Larry E. Stefanyk  : The Gilly - A Flyfishers Guide to BC - compiled by Alf Davey . I am also a fan of books by John Gierach , an active  USA writer , He has writen over 20 books including Dumb Luck & Kindness of Strangers, No Shortage of Good Days , A Fly Rod of Your Own, All Fishermen Are Liars and Fools Paradise . All informative good reads  !

Woolly Rainbow

• Keeping it reel
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 02:56:36 PM »

Nice, thanks for all the ideas on these different titles! Looks like I'll have lots of interesting books to start reading this winter!

Woolly Rainbow

• Keeping it reel
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 03:00:12 PM »

The Gilly - A Flyfishers Guide to BC - compiled by Alf Davey .

I heard alot of good things about this book as well I will have to pick up a copy
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 03:02:17 PM by Woolly Rainbow »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 06:07:40 PM »

while they are all good books, some of the information on techniques and patterns in The Gilley and similar books like the 2 Jack Shaw books (Tying flies for Trophy Trout & Fly Fish the Trout Lakes). Morris and Chan on Fly fishing Trout Lakes. Steve Raymond's Kamloops,  may be a little dated these days. Trout School by Mark Hume and Mo Bradley published in 2019 would be worth checking out.

One thing we really lack in BC (and elsewhere I take it) is a general book on fishing the many larger lakes for trout, kokanee and char. There so many good lakes literally too many to mention from a few square miles to very large bodies of water like Kootenay lake (where I caught my PB rainbow - 22lb 14 ozs) Arrow Lake, Christina, Okanagan, Shuswap, Quesnel,  Babine to name a very few. A book that goes over seasons, how to 'break a lake' down, lures trolling speeds, getting deep and shore fishing would be helpful to a lot of anglers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chief

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 07:16:02 PM »

Personally, I enjoy reading books and the tips, strategies and stories the authors  offer. However if you want to learn current trends I suggest YouTube is a good source of info both for equipment, tactics and related info. Can cover a multitude of species from all over the world including our area which offers many options   

jim

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 06:08:25 AM »

A couple books not mentioned.
 Fishing With John by Edith Iglauer...what it was like to be a troller, the west coast and its people,,,
Lake Fishing by Karl Bruhn...a lot of lakes that you have heard of...

firebird

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 07:38:59 AM »

I think that Carlisle's book is best for all around book.     

In fact, it's sitting on the bookshelf just to my right as I type this :)       
I second your thoughts. He was one of the best and I was privileged to be able to fish alongside him when I began river fishing in the early 1970s. As the book includes a photo of me, I have a few copies :)

Silex-user

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 11:17:52 AM »

I brought author Barry Thornton red hard cover book "Steelhead" back in 80's which inspired me to fished Vancouver island rivers from famous Cowichan river for brown trouts and  steelheads which I fished  all through way up Northern Island rivers. Also, I met author Eric Carlisle. I had pleasure to fished with him on Squamish river and her tributaries back good old days in the 80' and 90's. He's one who show me how to cast and drift spoon for steelheads. Also, I met writer Lee Straight whom wrote fishing reports for the Vancouver Sun newspaper backs good old days. I was walking out with a 6-7 lb  Vedder river steelhead  where Lee  saw me carry out  my supposedly steelhead when he told me it was actually Dolly Varden. Back those days you are allow to kill wild trouts and steelheads. I was newbie back then.

Silex-user