Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shore fishing on the vedder river  (Read 2803 times)

Colersmom

Shore fishing on the vedder river
« on: January 24, 2022, 01:38:29 PM »

Hi,

I am going fishing on the vedder and am wondering what spots have shore access, because i do not have waders

Thanks so much

coastangler

Re: Shore fishing on the vedder river
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 01:50:30 PM »

https://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/chilliwack_river.html can be a good place to start (How to Get There? section) - most of those spots are easily accessible and fishable without waders. Just need to be mindful that with the recent floods things have changed a bit and there might be some side channels blocking access that may be hard to cross without waders, but the popular spots listed on that article won't probably be that much affected and are a great starting point for you to start knowing the river. Good luck
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 04:46:09 PM »

Here's a map of well-known C/V fishing locations:
http://mail.fredscustomtackle.com/index.php/fishing-reports/vedder-river-map

#8 (Lickman) and #9 (Peach) are good places to start exploring. Easy access, close to town, and lots of parking. Good luck!

fisherforever

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 06:04:39 PM »

Heads up. Leave nothing of value in sight  in your vehicle when you park it.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 06:38:21 PM »

Heads up. Leave nothing of value in sight  in your vehicle when you park it.

Great advice! Worth parking in more populated areas for security. Lots of crackheads and break-ins. Catalytic converter thefts also seem to be on the rise. Ugh. Peach Rd has a pretty busy lot, next to a playground and lots of townhouses.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 07:55:47 PM »

Never trust a person who lives in a town house!  :(
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 09:09:16 PM »

Some good suggestions here. To echo coastangler, it's a whole new river now with debris piles and new channels that we all have to wrap our heads around. The suggestions that we would have given 2 months ago may no longer be accurate.

Having said that, I would venture to say that you can mostly fish the the entire river without waders. Sure waders give you a bit more flexibility and the ability to get into some of the out of the way spots or to put some distance between you and shoreline brush, but the Vedder is a very accessible river if all you have is pair of boots.

The Rotary Trail around the the entire lower river/canal is a great starting point, particularly the parking lots that Bloody Orange mentioned. The Rotary trail is usually never more the 50-100m from river, much of the time running right beside it. Very possible to walk/bike the trail looking for accessible spots to shore fish. When the Rotary trail does stray from the river's edge, there are always side trails you can take to river. You will find many spots to fish where you don't need waders to access.

canucksfan233

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 09:45:17 PM »

You need waders for lickman now, if you are parking on the north side

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 09:56:55 PM »

Having said that, I would venture to say that you can mostly fish the the entire river without waders...

I guess it depends how you are fishing? Other than the canal,  I seldom see an angler fishing who is just in trousers. Perhaps waders are a social thing? Wear them or be square.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 11:35:16 PM »

Try fishing without a ballcap. Damn near impossible! :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 07:29:14 AM »

I've always relied on a bowler though I was around when the uniform demanded a toque

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 12:55:40 PM »

I like to wear my waders as it allows one to get in the water to safely release a wild fish. Keep them wet. If your going to fish without waders then bring a net with you so your not dragging the fish out of the water and onto the shore. Buy a soft mesh or a rubber one that does not remove the scales on the fish. Wild steelhead are precious and getting farther and fewer between. Practice good fish handling skills. Tight lines.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 02:10:36 PM »

often I cross bits of water to where I'd like to fish - could be side channels etc but waders are necessary. Also I think it helps make a better presentation when I can get in the water and avoid casting over several feet or even yards or water to reach holding lies. Guys certainly fish while perched on the riprap along the rotary trail though my advice would be to wear an inflatable life vest if one wants to do that.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 08:02:46 PM »

Never trust a person who lives in a town house!  :(

If they don't steal, how will they ever afford to upgrade to a house? Have you seen the prices recently?!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 08:21:33 AM »

If they don't steal, how will they ever afford to upgrade to a house? Have you seen the prices recently?!

Oh that's dark! ;D