Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grad Party In The Chilliwack River Valley Once Again, Disturbing.  (Read 30248 times)

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: Grad Party In The Chilliwack River Valley Once Again, Disturbing.
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2010, 12:34:59 AM »

he he...this is getting pretty funny. But as it was said to me many times before, if you want to to be treated like an adult act like one. If you want to be treated like a kid then act like a kid.  Bottom line is once you enter the real world comes that  word "responsibility. You make a mess you clean it up, and you don't make weak little excuses for why you can't get it done . For instance, you rent an apartment, and you pay a damage deposit. At the end of the lease, if you leave the place like a pig sty you lose your deposit and can look forward to  getting  lousy references from your landlord. To me it is all part of the growing up process,  but  for some folks though it seems to take a little longer for the message to sink in.

salmon river

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »

Usually Stave Lake would get some grad party problems.  This year there have been a few road checks setup by RCMP.  It has really helped to keep the area clean.

Gotta love the police state.  Maybe if North America was not no anal about booze we would not have the issues we do?

Yeah, we've learned from our mistakes and are attempting to pass it along.  If you're too stubborn to listen and want to keep making excuses for irresponsible behavior, fine.  I'm not your mother

And your [parents generation said the same thing about you... gawd so many holier than though people here. With so many perfect people here why is the world in such a mess????

Krestations

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »

When you choose to impersonate another individual and behave like a juvenile in public, expect to be treated as one.

A match by email and IP can usually lead to the true identity in a few seconds.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=801900415

Isn't this illegal or at least against forum policy? I get it your the administrator, this is your site, but don't you think this is a little childish? Especially from the admin. Most admins I know would have just banned the imposter, for his first post broke forum rules. I think EXPLOITING his IP address is a little far, don't you think?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2010, 03:54:44 PM »

Isn't this illegal or at least against forum policy? I get it your the administrator, this is your site, but don't you think this is a little childish? Especially from the admin. Most admins I know would have just banned the imposter, for his first post broke forum rules. I think EXPLOITING his IP address is a little far, don't you think?

From the disclaimer you must agree to before you sign up for an account:

The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint.

Coyote #2

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2010, 06:59:52 PM »

Not to mention, all generations (at least since the 1960's) have their fair share of those types during their youth.

Some of you may just need to remember back far enough to realize that your own history is not all that spotless either.

THANK YOU! Finally someone on here who realizes that everyone will do something at some point in their life that has made them rethink their actions... It feels like everyone else on this forum has forgotten their acts as teenagers.

Yeah, we've learned from our mistakes and are attempting to pass it along.  If you're too stubborn to listen and want to keep making excuses for irresponsible behavior, fine.  I'm not your mother. ::)

Rude. We're trying to learn from our mistakes. And no one is making excuses for "irresponsible behavior" we KNOW what we did wasn't right, so do you mind laying off a little bit? We're taking the high route by coming on here and apologizing to you all, and then you turn it around and belittle us...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:47:36 AM by Coyote #2 »
treehuger <3

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2010, 08:18:41 PM »

Yes, when an individual comes here and feels that rules do not apply to him or her, admins are happy to satisfy that request.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »

Well then what I suggest people to do is to learn from their mistakes. I have volunteered for my fair share of Chilliwack/Vedder River cleanups. If you want to see first hand the amount of garbage left behind by others feel free to volunteer to the group that looks after organizing the cleanup.  They can always use the extra hands.

Coyote #2

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2010, 12:46:24 AM »

Well then what I suggest people to do is to learn from their mistakes. I have volunteered for my fair share of Chilliwack/Vedder River cleanups. If you want to see first hand the amount of garbage left behind by others feel free to volunteer to the group that looks after organizing the cleanup.  They can always use the extra hands.

I'm actually quite interested in getting involved in the river cleanup. I've done stuff around my community, but I'm more than willing to help out up that way, especially after our grad camping mess... If someone could please tell me when and where another river cleanup will be, I'll try my best to venture out to Chilliwack to help.
treehuger <3

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »

These old farts always welcome new, young volunteers. ;) The next Chilliwack River cleanup is on July 24th. Volunteers will be meeting at the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve between 8:30 and 9:30am, where everyone will be assigned to a particular area along the river.

The one after that is on September 26th, which is World Rivers Day. This one is a bit different to other cleanups that we do. Beside the cleanup, there'll be a BBQ, prizes and entertainment afterward. The meeting place is at the Chilliwack Fish and Game Club. More info later.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 11:08:12 AM »

Rod is right, we old farts ( Rod, at 52, is our youngest director  ;D) are always looking for new blood at these cleanups.  Coyote #2, we would love to see you and a few classmates at a cleanup.  I guarantee a warm welcome.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2010, 12:12:06 AM »

To the coyotes, I was going to reply to some of the comments but didn't have time this morning when I made the previous post (was in a hurry to go fishing, it's a tough life ;) ) so here are some additional comments.

To understand why there are so many "negative" comments, you have to understand where the frustration has been building up. This is not an isolated event and we are certainly not attempting to ganging up on a group of kids who should be enjoying their upcoming accomplishment. Each year, around this time and also throughout the summer, we come across these situations from time to time. Since the establishment of the cleanup coalition in 2002, volunteers have discovered and cleaned up numerous abandoned campsites that were left like a war zone. Take a look at these:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=23

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=20714.0

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=18160.0

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=3905.0

In the last couple of posts, you asked why others were still giving you a hard time when you had apologized. I went back and reread the posts and didn’t find any apologies until page 3. Not suggesting that some of you are not sorry, but the apologies were actually not made when you wanted to. Readers were angered when they only read that you attempted to justify your actions. For example, these were your first posts:

Thank you for cleaning it up. but you can't very well get mad at us for doing what the rangers told us to do...

And I'll talk to our principals on monday and tell them to inform the grad class of 2011 to clean up their mess better than we did, but unfortunatly that's all that I can do.

Well for the most part, most of us cleaned up our messes and I put my garbage in my cooler and brought it home.

Adding a number of inappropriate posts by a few boys that we have moved to a deleted section, it only dumped more fuel on fire. Anyway, this is not an attempt to finger point as one has put it early ;) but simply demonstrating why the discussion can become so long. For a grander scale, look at What public pressure that BP has to deal with right now.

People understand mistakes happen, but they want to see mistakes being acknowledged and learned. We see no immediate solution to this problem. It’s likely that we will be discussing this again next year when another grad class does the same thing. Since these aren’t sanctioned events by schools, they see these as beyond their responsibility. Nobody seems to be interested in taking on the task of prevention, so you can understand where the pessimism comes from.

Anyway, this discussion is ending in a good note as it has generated plenty of interest. All of you could have ignored it but you've chosen to engage in the discussion, which shows that you care.

Okay Rodney Hsu!
Here's a link to YOUURR profile
http://www.facebook.com/rodney.hsu

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1554581593
I guess this is your wife or girlfriend? Or maybe shes your sister?!

Still sharing the phone number?! <phone number removed>
WEELLL good to see how things are going
;)

Kreston, like some of your peers, instead of acknowledging what you have done, you’ve made it personal and taken the low road to make the above post. Not entirely sure what the point is, majority of my personal information is readily available for the public due to my occupation. Finding my Facebook profile should not be considered as great detective work. We had a pretty good chuckle about it. Secondly, the second profile has no relation to me, if you have been making phone calls to that individual, perhaps be a gentleman by calling back to apologize. Posting Facebook profile is one matter, taking it to another step by posting additional personal information such as phone number is taken very seriously. Personally attacking me does not accomplish anything except demonstrating that you are not sorry for what you and your peers have done.

All the other deleted comments have or will be shared with the principal as we correspond with each other in the coming weeks regarding this issue. We hope to develop a better communication tool that can prevent grads from making the same mistakes without dampening their celebrations in the future.

Coyote #2

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2010, 09:54:59 PM »

Rod is right, we old farts ( Rod, at 52, is our youngest director  ;D) are always looking for new blood at these cleanups.  Coyote #2, we would love to see you and a few classmates at a cleanup.  I guarantee a warm welcome.

I've talked to some people, and I'm sad to report that none of my friends seemed very interested in going... But I can guarantee that I'll do my very best to be at the July 24Th river cleanup!

And Rodney, I looked at those other grad camping debacles.. absolutely horrible. I'd like to think ours wasn't that bad...
treehuger <3

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2010, 10:05:51 PM »

I've talked to some people, and I'm sad to report that none of my friends seemed very interested in going... But I can guarantee that I'll do my very best to be at the July 24Th river cleanup!

And Rodney, I looked at those other grad camping debacles.. absolutely horrible. I'd like to think ours wasn't that bad...

It doesnt matter if it was worse or not. Its the fact that it was done. I know you have apologized but I still dont think you guys understand. Do you understand why people are upset?

Here I am in bare feet dragging out someone elses garbage

The Vedder is not the only river with its problems in the LML. I have organized river cleanups on the Alouette which gets very heavy usage during the summer

I have picked up dirty diapers in the middle of the river. Its not just you kids its adults as well so your not alone. To me its about educating people. Make them understand that our waterways are not a place to dispose of your garbage.

I really hope to meet some of you at the next cleanup.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2010, 10:25:03 PM »

No worries about the lack of interest. Chilliwack River is pretty far away from the Lower Mainland and it is unrealistic to expect many people would want to drive all the way out just to pick up garbage. :) The goal of these cleanups is not just to remove garbage, but to bring public awareness. Each cleanup generates media attention, inspires other stewardship groups to organize similar cleanups at nearby watersheds, provides young volunteers (young young, as in little kids) a sense of accomplishment. bb, coyote #2 understands, otherwise she wouldn't be interested in coming to the cleanup. ;)

andychan

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2010, 09:05:59 AM »

Gotta love the police state.  Maybe if North America was not no anal about booze we would not have the issues we do?

And your [parents generation said the same thing about you... gawd so many holier than though people here. With so many perfect people here why is the world in such a mess????

If you think this is a police state you need to travel a bit and educate yourself.

And when it comes to alcohol, it's the number one killer on the roads and of families. It needs to be checked bigtime.