Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It's A Start  (Read 4624 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
http://

trot

Re: It's A Start
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 06:20:13 PM »

Lol "maximum 100,000 fine or 2 years in jail" Lets here what the actual fine they received was-Also, there was just a story of a stabbing that happened which killed a guy-The suspect was already in jail once before for murder and guess what his sentence was? Two flippin years!

welcome to Canada, land of the wrist slap.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:04:05 PM »

One report says 8 boats, one says 9 - either way, good to see them seizing equipment and facing charges!

http://www.onenewspage.com/n/Americas/74vzeqdg3/British-Columbia-Boats-Seized-During-Crackdown-on.htm

Canadian authorities seized eight boats on August 23 during a crackdown on illegal salmon fishing.

27 people face charges and up to 2 years in jail, reported CBC.

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans has been making a concerted effort to get poachers out of the area.

Enforcement officials said that on the Fraser River alone they’ve seized several vessels during the last week, not including the eight boats, and have pulled up dozens of illegal nets.

“We’re facing a fair number of nets that are fishing at night,” Herb Redekopp, chief of conservation and protection for the department, told CBC.

“There’s a real pent-up demand for these fish and the market price on the black market is very high.”

The department has night patrols and aerial units monitoring the illegal fishing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there's more....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/08/23/bc-salmon-poaching-fraser-river.html

DFO targets salmon poachers on Fraser River

CBC News

Posted: Aug 23, 2013 7:41 AM PT

Last Updated: Aug 23, 2013 1:05 PM PT

Officials have stepped up enforcement to catch salmon poachers on the Fraser River. Officials have stepped up enforcement to catch salmon poachers on the Fraser River. (Gary Stewart/Associated Press)

Play iconOfficials catching people illegally fishing on the Fraser RiverDFO targets salmon poachers in B.C.1:03

Related Stories
Fraser River salmon ban begins tonightFraser River sockeye test fishery scaled backFirst Nations Skeena sockeye fishery shut for first timeSockeye salmon shortfall drives up price       

Conservation officials are warning poachers to get their nets out of the Fraser River.

This year's disastrous sockeye salmon runs have prompted the closure of all commercial and recreational fisheries.
Fraser River salmon ban begins tonight

But enforcement officials say they've pulled up 50 nets and seized eight vessels in the last week alone.

Twenty-seven people are being investigated, most of them First Nations fishermen, said Herb Redekopp, chief of conservation and protection for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

"We're facing a fair number of nets that are fishing at night,” he said.

"There's a real pent-up demand for these fish and the market price on the black market is very high."
Sockeye salmon shortfall drives up price

Officials have stepped up enforcement on the river this week, including night patrols and aerial units.

"We're hitting the river hard,” Redekopp said.

“We've doubled our enforcement strength on the Fraser River from Surrey up to Hell's Gate and our primary focus is to move all the sockeye that are in the system right now up to the spawning grounds.”

Redekopp said most of the seizures have happened in the Chilliwack and Agassiz area of the Fraser.

The DFO says it's also looking into complaints of illegal fish sales.

Poachers can face a fine of up to $100,000 or up to two years in jail if found guilty.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:05:56 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »

Dont worry Cristy will buy em new boats with new nets.
But sadly this probly will be true

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 03:47:20 AM »

Well it's about time we heard of something positive coming from the DFO, good job. The natives for a long time have been filling totes full of sockeye and roe for year's and selling to a buyer's market in Europe and Now finally we hear of some arrest's. I mean, hell they could of been doing this over the last ten years at least but I guess better late than never.

The problem has never been bb'ers on the Fraser depleting the stocks it's been the raping and pillaging of illegal and legal netting on the Fraser which indiscriminately takes and takes. If a neighbor of mine owned a huge field of strawberrie's and told me to pick as many as I wanted and I quickly hired a dozen picker's and picked and sold as many as I could do you think he'd be thrilled. No !!! He would say I meant just for you and your family not for you to make a profit with, wth.

And that is where we are at with the natives because it's supposed to be for food and ceremonial purposes, not for a profit but Many are taking advantage of the manpower shortages of the DFO and the fact that sportfishermen are not united together and we are fighting each other over a weak minus. If we don't wake up things will never change and the fish will be non-existant.

I bb on the Fraser when the opportunity arises, probably no more than six times a year, usually less. My friend's and I  have a great time and enjoy each other's company but rarely do we limit out or get close to it. We all practice good fishing etiquette and alway's safely release any fish we don't keep.  I'll be on the Vedder this Sunday fishing as I always do on Other river systems with a float and a piece of roe or wool and my float will be as always, completely vertical as it makes it's way down the river.

Good Fishing All !!!

TNAngler

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 06:20:12 AM »

Dont worry Cristy will buy em new boats with new nets.
But sadly this probly will be true

Caught poaching and you should lose your right to net forever.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
http://

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:13:01 AM »

Good to see something being done but I bet they already have there boats back or the Gov has bought them new ones.
Its not a big secret what goes on out there and a blind Monkey even knows what has been going on out there.
Now remember to pinch them barbs because you will get a bigger and enforced fine than these folks with boats and nets will get.

Robert_G

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »

I know there have been fishing poaching related charges handed to natives in the past, but I'd be interested if anyone could provide documentation to a charge that has ever led to an actual conviction with jail time that was actually served or a fine that actually got paid. I'm pretty sure there is no such documentation in existence, but I'd love to be proven wrong. The only fines I know for fishing poaching related charges by natives that were actually paid, were ones that were given out by the chief elders themselves. Like I said....I'd love to see some documentation that proves a native person has ever in history actually paid a fine or served jail time for fishing poaching related charges to our government.

losos

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »

http://www.cknw.com/2013/08/30/some-fishers-not-following-the-rules/

Does that mean Fraser is open as of today?
Interestingly on CKNW I've heard exact opposite announcement.

jacked55

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 06:30:28 PM »

No person in Canada would EVER get jail time for poaching fish. Not if it was their first time getting caught, or there 5th time getting caught. It wouldnt happen. A fine, maybe but most likely nothing that would actually deter them from getting right back out there and doing it again. Our criminal justice system is truly not representative of what good/honest people think it should be.