Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More DFO Insanity  (Read 18155 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: More DFO Insanity
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 10:23:44 PM »

All good information, but my issue is that you took this story all over the internet on the assumption that the department was going to deny this request. As was stated in the news article, the department is reviewing the request - it didn't not automatically close the door.  When things like this are proposed there needs to be some oversight because it could have also been spun around to look like the department allowed dumping of farmed fish into the ocean.  I realize things do not move fast enough for you and many others that share your view.  I believe many others on the other side of the fence can understand this frustration to a point.

In some respects, this reminds me of the iron fertilization project off Haida Gwaii where many people thought it was a great idea to dump iron off the coast to feed all starving salmon and why the Canadian government was not very supportive.  If that part of the province has excellent salmon returns is it because of the dumping of the iron?  Well, before you start dumping stuff or releasing something else that you believe is beneficial there has to be some sort of plan or monitoring in place (In the case of the HSRC simply finding the presence of increased phytoplankton growth alone does not prove anything).  There was a time many people thought Mysis was good idea to feed Kokanee.  I agree with Absolon that if there are any negative consequences from this release it is pretty safe to say where blame will be laid, so reviewing the application is important before jumping all in.  Unfortunately, the department dropped the ball in effectively communicating to the public its direction on this.  From that perspective I don't necessarily blame people for being upset - just don't take the media story as being the complete picture is all I am saying.  In addition, calling a Conservative MP about this would be like trying to get a response from a lamp post outside my house.  I do not believe anyone really wants the status quo with what is going on in your area, but a sober second look before approving this may not be a bad thing.

Back to my armchair as well......

Some good points....   too bad some of your advice wasn't applied to the feedlot industry before they started dropping their nets in our ocean.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 10:24:20 PM »

You've slipped a long ways since you first came on this forum preaching the feedlot propaganda. Now you're supporting the nonsense being posted by dnibbles and sounding more and more like a schoolyard bully.

I realize that I've likely contributed to your slide by bringing, truth and transparency to the discussion.....  for that I cannot apologize.  ::)

The best I can suggest is perhaps you take a little time off to recoup before coming back with more feedlot propaganda.   ;D

You have contributed to my amusement on this board more than you will ever know....For that I thank you.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 06:57:52 AM »

You have contributed to my amusement on this board more than you will ever know....For that I thank you.

As have you and the rest of your posse.  ;D
http://

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »

All good information, but my issue is that you took this story all over the internet on the assumption that the department was going to deny this request. As was stated in the news article, the department is reviewing the request - it didn't not automatically close the door.  ...

I do not believe anyone really wants the status quo with what is going on in your area, but a sober second look before approving this may not be a bad thing.

While I understand your concern (issue) it is simply something I cannot commiserate with.
The assumption that the Department is going to deny this request is based both on their previous track record, and their actions in this regard to date.

DFO has known about, and had the project "Under Review" for nearly two years now. Longer in fact if you consider the initial "consultations" regarding the Sarita Enhancement Project - initiated near ten years ago now. As you may recall, of all the systems considered (Nahmint, Franklin, Bedwell etc) the only one approved was the Sarita, and that after an extremely exhaustive "review process". Most involved readily understood and agreed to the need for the review process, and many worked diligently to help provide answers to the multitude of questions/concerns it posed. However as that process drew out year after year, that same many began to suffer from the perception that the Department was intentionally dragging the review out in the hope that the idea would simply go away.

The responses of DFO representatives in multiple public meetings (SFAB) have done little to dissuade that perception. Rolling eyes and clearing the item off the agenda as fast as is possible sends a reasonably clear message to those in attendance. A performance that has literally been repeated dozens of times over the course of many years.

I wholly concur that such experiments must be subject to close inspection before proceeding. There are potential risks associated with any new enhancement technique, and those should be carefully defined and weighed closely against the potential benefits that might be incurred.

However I also feel this should (and can) be accomplished in a realistic time frame. This particular project is not something that just sprang up on the Department over night. At bare minimum, they were aware of the target release system since prior to issuing the authority to transfer fertilized eggs from Robertson Creek's brood capture program two entire falls ago. Is a year and a half (plus) not sufficient time to conduct such a review process? Or is it possible that by ignoring that requirement to date, they can now claim that the review has unfortunately not been completed and employ that as a mechanism to deny the project from proceeding? Apologies for the conspiratorial overtones, but actions of the past and present...

I guess there was something of an indication of the Department's mindset when it was time to clip and wire code these fish. Something Bruce & Carole were quite prepared to do in order to maximize the data collection from this experiment. However something DFO was obviously opposed to occurring for whatever reason.

Both I and the many concerned Folks here may be in error in these perceptions. The Department might yet actually do something along the lines of a review, and we may yet see some science based decisions as to whether the project should proceed or not. Again, given past (and current) performance, I am not holding my breath. That said, I will gladly eat my words and offer up a most sincere apology were that to be forthcoming...

Your vision and "dream world" scenario are not as farfetched as you think. There are many folks looking at options around improving things from the status quo, both from a habitat restoration as well as enhancement perspective, much as you describe.

One Can Hope...

Cheers,
Nog

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »

--I cannot understand the lack of funding excuse... why can't DFO and other departments produce a "wish list" of under or unfunded projects. If we see one we like maybe we can raise the money from other sources.
--So what if it is PR.... if fish farms wish to provide a private fund or use of a portion of their facilities for to provide recreational and commercial opportunities... why not take the money... hold your nose if you like.
--I get tired of hearing the no funding excuses...projects of value or local significance always have a chance but for sure they have no chance if no one asks.

islanddude

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 08:09:39 PM »

Would be a shame if by some misshap they all escaped from their pens into the wild. Happened more than once in the ocean farms.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »

Would be a shame if by some misshap they all escaped from their pens into the wild. Happened more than once in the ocean farms.

;D  except DFO turns a blind eye to the feedlot escapes...
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 10:43:05 PM »

--I cannot understand the lack of funding excuse... why can't DFO and other departments produce a "wish list" of under or unfunded projects. If we see one we like maybe we can raise the money from other sources.
--So what if it is PR.... if fish farms wish to provide a private fund or use of a portion of their facilities for to provide recreational and commercial opportunities... why not take the money... hold your nose if you like.
--I get tired of hearing the no funding excuses...projects of value or local significance always have a chance but for sure they have no chance if no one asks.

This is already being done through the Pacific Salmon Foundation where they already partner with DFO.  The latest partnership venture is this one along with Genome BC: http://www.psf.ca/programs/salmon-health-initiative

An ongoing study (since 2010) of Chilko Sockeye by Scott Hinch's group from UBC and Kintama is funded by the PSF and the Rocky Mountaineer.  This is being done to assess areas of mortality and what factors might be involved in this mortality. Two-year old smolts are surgically implanted with acoustic transmitters.  Direct access to these smolts is made possible by the DFO counting fence located about 1km downstream of Chilko Lake.

The 2013 Federal Budget will now allow the return of 100 per cent of user fees collected from sales of the Recreational Fisheries Conservation Stamp to the PSF for funding restoration and enhancement activities.

The budget also called for 10 million dollars to be made available over 2 years to local groups who undertake fisheries habitat work; however, one-third of the habitat jobs in BC were axed recently.  Give from one hand - take from the other.  Actually rip from shoulder socket is a better analogy.

The 2013 Federal budget calls for 100 million dollars to be cut from the department over the next 3 years starting in 2015/16.  These are substantial cuts and the department is not alone.  With this current trend it seems more than likely that funding for "wish list" projects will have to come from other sources like the PSF.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:45:41 PM by shuswapsteve »

islanddude

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »

Does the DFO know something we don't or think we don't .Can all the salmon you can this year and next couple of years. When they dump all that stored water they are using to cool the storage rods and reactors the Pacific is doomed. I am talking about the disaster that happened at the Fukushima Nuclear plant in Japan.Should we talk about all the radioactive debris that is going to come to our shores this year and next from the tsunami. I would be interested in hearing from you guides what you see out there this season.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2013, 09:10:15 PM »

Harper Conservatives are going to dance to the tune of some of their financial supporters. Future DFO research will be provided by the likes of Marineharvest etal as a way of privatizing. Anyone other than some management at DFO better not be criticizing their potential new employer.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2013, 10:16:49 PM »

Does the DFO know something we don't or think we don't .Can all the salmon you can this year and next couple of years. When they dump all that stored water they are using to cool the storage rods and reactors the Pacific is doomed. I am talking about the disaster that happened at the Fukushima Nuclear plant in Japan.Should we talk about all the radioactive debris that is going to come to our shores this year and next from the tsunami. I would be interested in hearing from you guides what you see out there this season.

Maybe DFO knows where Jimmy Hoffa is also?  I wouldn't be surprised if fishing guides, First Nations, commercial fishermen, fish farm activists, shoe cobblers, gas station attendants, vet assistants and homeless people blame poor fishing on DFO inability to stop the dumping radioactive storage water in Japan.

islanddude

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »

I wasn't talking about pointing fingers at why we have poor fishing or management. We all know why that is. Money talks and common sense walks. I am talking about the effect  this will have on your children and there children's health.Time will tell whether radiation has an impact on salmon stocks of the pacific. Apparently they found Hoffa's concrete coffin.

Fisherman49

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »

Here is a great video about our salmon situation..it is long but well worth watching:

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-norway-is-killing-your-sushi/

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2013, 04:23:15 PM »

Here is a great video about our salmon situation..it is long but well worth watching:

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-norway-is-killing-your-sushi/

Thanks for posting.....   well worth watching!

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »

Lol just more internet insanity. Enjoy the Alaskan feedlot salmon while it is fresh. :)