Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More DFO Insanity  (Read 18158 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
More DFO Insanity
« on: June 19, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »

In a year we are witnessing the lowest return numbers of springs recorded to the Stamp River, DFO once again has stepped forward to Prove It's Collective INSANITY!  :'(

http://www.cheknews.ca/?bckey=AQ~~%2CAAAA4mHNTzE~%2CejlzBnGUUKY1gXVPwEwEepl35Y795rND&bclid=975107450001&bctid=2488225363001

banx

Re: More DFO Insanity
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »

what a waste of money.   :(

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:50:07 PM »

More like what sheer arrogance and butt-covering by so called "management".
The fish are being offered as a "Gift" and could REALLY help us through the damn tough times we are currently facing down. Tough Times directly due to that same peculiar form of "management" btw...  ::)

dnibbles

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:11:43 PM by dnibbles »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »

couple of tings buddy

* A hatchery is basically a fish farm.
some people don't like hatcheries on rivers

* As you would of noticed the fish were being raised in a form of pool/tank on land for less than 2 years.
unlike fish farms where they dump pretty scarry stuff right into the local area waters for as long and for as many fish as they are frankenfarming

* Why you not like them releasing these fish ......because they are raised for free?
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:16:13 PM »

couple of tings buddy

* A hatchery is basically a fish farm.
some people don't like hatcheries on rivers

* As you would of noticed the fish were being raised in a form of pool/tank on land for less than 2 years.
unlike fish farms where they dump pretty scarry stuff right into the local area waters for as long and for as many fish as they are frankenfarming

* Why you not like them releasing these fish ......because they are raised for free?

Thanks for explaining that to him troutbreath.

I suppose what he would rather see is having these fish dropped into open ocean pens where they could be held for a year or 2 longer, polluting the ocean, spreading sea lice to wild fish and then harvested and sold as an inferior product, bought by an unsuspecting public.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

dnibbles

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 10:33:01 PM »

Thanks TB, good points. I will address below.

A hatchery is not basically a fish farm. There's a big difference between raising fish for food, and raising fish for intended release. A farm is a farm, regardless of whether it is on land or at sea. If you want to raise fish for food, you are selecting for different characteristics than you would if you are intending to produce fish that will adapt well to a natural environment. No different than releasing a few nice big grain fed cows into the Northern BC forest to fend for themselves. They may do very well when eating out of a trough, but they don't have the genetics to do well when out in the wild. Take a look at anything we cultivate for food and see how closely it resembles the wild form (sheep, cows, strawberries, chickens). Very different than what we would do if the intention was producing a creature for release into the wild.

Fish farms (like Omega) will select for certain characteristics. Not uncommon to breed a few large males with many females to try to produce bigger, faster growing fish. Nothing wrong with that at all if your intention is big fish for market. If you're releasing fish into the wild in the hopes they come back and spawn, it's probably better to not have a few thousand brothers and sisters courting each other back on the grounds.

I've got little issue with releasing these fish, but for the proponent to be touting it as the saving grace of the Alberni Inlet Chinook stock is quite misguided. These things will be seal bait.I see no benefit to releasing them, and some (admittedly low) risk to wild stocks from this action.  I primarily have issue with the misrepresentation of the situation by the proponent, and the (not unexpected) take of this thing hook line and sinker by the (supposedly) anti farming crowd, who are now apparently in full support of releasing farmed Chinook into the wild to intermingle with their wild brethren.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:12:10 PM by dnibbles »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 11:06:07 PM »

A hatchery is not basically a fish farm...... A farm is a farm......  Fish farms (like Omega) will select for certain characteristics........    These things will be seal bait.

Wow is that the best you've got? Rather than making all your unsubstantiated assumptions, you would be best advised to back up some of your ramble with a little science.

As I've said before you need to read more than just the feedlot sponsored websites.

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 11:33:46 PM »

DFO has outlived it's usefulness.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 11:38:52 PM »

Yeah, you were right on this one, nibbles.....so right!  As expected, Noggin and many others (not just antis) took this news story as gospel and did not look a little more into it to see what the real story was.  Matt, I am surprised that you took the media story at face value without looking more into it.  As usual, the media only tells part of the story.  However, in fairness to the lynch mob, I agree that the bureaucrats did a poor job with communicating this to the public.  The media basically filled in the gaps which I can't really blame them if the department is going to leave a void.  When there is an absence of information then there will always be someone to fill in the gaps.

AF, you do not stand a chance debating with nibbles on this issue.  You run the risk of sinking again...this time it will be a doozy.  I agree with nibbles that your continued ignorance is mind boggling.  Even if he did show you a little science you would dismiss it because you have already labelled him a fish farm supporter; however, if you actually read (difficult for you, I realize) what he posted he is providing you a balanced and reasonable explanation.  By all means be critical about poor communication from the department, but I recommend to you and to others to listen to what nibbles has to say.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:42:29 PM by shuswapsteve »

banx

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 02:41:44 AM »

I don't think anyones taking that clip as gospel....maybe if it was on fox news  ;) and it's pretty obvious this is a different scenario than an open pen fishfarm.  I don't think you need to be a fan OR an opponent of farms to realize that it is exactly that, "a drop in the bucket" if these fish are released.  at least the people working there would have a feeling of accomplishment, having raised and then sending them out.  euthanizing them would be a waste of funds and time on a few levels. 

dnibbles

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 07:56:45 AM »

I don't think anyones taking that clip as gospel....maybe if it was on fox news  ;)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:12:23 PM by dnibbles »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 08:21:24 AM »

Yeah, you were right on this one, nibbles.....so right!  As expected, Noggin and many others (not just antis) took this news story as gospel and did not look a little more into it to see what the real story was.  Matt, I am surprised that you took the media story at face value without looking more into it.  As usual, the media only tells part of the story.  However, in fairness to the lynch mob, I agree that the bureaucrats did a poor job with communicating this to the public.  The media basically filled in the gaps which I can't really blame them if the department is going to leave a void.  When there is an absence of information then there will always be someone to fill in the gaps.

AF, you do not stand a chance debating with nibbles on this issue.  You run the risk of sinking again...this time it will be a doozy.  I agree with nibbles that your continued ignorance is mind boggling.  Even if he did show you a little science you would dismiss it because you have already labelled him a fish farm supporter; however, if you actually read (difficult for you, I realize) what he posted he is providing you a balanced and reasonable explanation.  By all means be critical about poor communication from the department, but I recommend to you and to others to listen to what nibbles has to say.

You've slipped a long ways since you first came on this forum preaching the feedlot propaganda. Now you're supporting the nonsense being posted by dnibbles and sounding more and more like a schoolyard bully.

I realize that I've likely contributed to your slide by bringing, truth and transparency to the discussion.....  for that I cannot apologize.  ::)

The best I can suggest is perhaps you take a little time off to recoup before coming back with more feedlot propaganda.   ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 08:35:28 AM »

I realize that I've likely contributed to your slide by bringing, truth and transparency to the discussion.....  for that I cannot apologize.  ::)
That might be the most ridiculous statement you have posted (and you've posted some beauties ..)
I sometimes wonder if you know what nibs and Steve do for a living :o

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 09:10:46 AM »

That might be the most ridiculous statement you have posted (and you've posted some beauties ..)
I sometimes wonder if you know what nibs and Steve do for a living :o

I guess I don't hold a person's vocation in as high esteem as you seem to....  I pay closer attention to a person's agenda.