Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What approach do you take to learn a new river?  (Read 2874 times)

Zanna

What approach do you take to learn a new river?
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:44:17 PM »

There are many ways to learn a new river, I'm curious how you approach it:

Do you spend 1-2 days exploring all the river at the beginning without fishing much?
Do you go fishing in a different spot every time until you covered it?
Do you just get out there and fish without worry too much and with time you eventually learn your way around it?

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Re: What approach do you take to learn a new river?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:07:03 AM »

When I find one I want to learn, I will usually fish it two or three times in a row. The first day, I will walk and fish however I see fit, whatever looks good to try, while still exploring a little bit, but fishing the closest spots from where I started. The next time, Ill move to those spots off the bat, give em a shot, and then try and keep getting into new spots, but focusing on exploring a lot more, unless the spots I have previously found are full of willing fish. That has only happened a couple times though. By that point, I usually have at least a few spots I know of to check out and try. After that, if I know there are fish there, Ill fish it, but Ill eventually get a little bored, and then start exploring more, going further out of the way.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

shi man oh man

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:55:10 AM »

walk it from top to bottom

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 08:44:59 AM »

I'm very much into the hiking it aspect, reading the water, finding fishey water, fish for a bit then hike some more. I find the more ground you cover the more new and better spots you'll discover. Then the next time out the hiking is much less because you already know the spots you don't want to fish. There's nothing better than finding that magical once in a lifetime hole where you just know fish are holding and there's not a soul around.  :D

Pin-nook

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:20:56 AM »

Walk the river and look for obvious holding water. Spots where fish will hold or rest but you gotta learn to read water first! You'll probably target big holes and pools first but you have to know where the fish will hold in those spots. Also remember that different types of fish hold or sit in different types of water.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »

Drive to the nearest bridge and fish below it.  Recently I found this great hole on the Vedder beneath a bridge, full of fish I can catch with long leaders and wool.  Keith something bridge?

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »

Walk as much of the river as possible in low water.  Learn the spots, side channels, deep holes behind rocks etc.  Leave the tackle box and long leaders at home.  And talk to the locals while you are out.  I have found over the years that the more you look, and walk the part, the more open the locals will be with you.  If you walk up to a local fisherman, and you have a 6ft leader with no float, chances are you aren't going to get any answers from anybody..

Perseverance is everything.  The first few trips to a new river are probably gonna be a big disappointment, but the more you go, the more you know, the more fish you catch, the better time you have.

Tight lines..

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »

Walk as much of the river as possible in low water.  Learn the spots, side channels, deep holes behind rocks etc.  Leave the tackle box and long leaders at home.  And talk to the locals while you are out.  I have found over the years that the more you look, and walk the part, the more open the locals will be with you.  If you walk up to a local fisherman, and you have a 6ft leader with no float, chances are you aren't going to get any answers from anybody..

Perseverance is everything.  The first few trips to a new river are probably gonna be a big disappointment, but the more you go, the more you know, the more fish you catch, the better time you have.

Tight lines..

I always fish 6 to 9 foot leaders. I dont like using less.  ;)

Theres a saying in the painting industry. Painting is 3 parts preparation, 1 part painting. The same idea can be applied to fishing streams. Its a hell of a lot more walking than fishing, if you dont know the water yet.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Zanna

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »

Those are all good suggestions, thanks guys.

Make sense to spend the first few days learning the river as generally speaking you are not going to catch much anyway ;)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 08:08:31 AM »

Drive to the nearest bridge and fish below it.  Recently I found this great hole on the Vedder beneath a bridge, full of fish I can catch with long leaders and wool.  Keith something bridge?
giggle :)

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 07:51:17 PM »

--pre search...I get most recent map, air photo, anglers atlas.google earth etc.
--look for areas that may be hazard
--check access points...secure parking etc.
--usually go with a friend and extra gear..throw rope life jacket signal device etc.  for safety reasons but if not leave map, directions and check points.... just in case i don't return.

--I can always find fish or a way to fish a run but no substitute for safety.