Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder thief  (Read 17841 times)

blueback

Re:Vedder thief
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2004, 09:49:10 AM »

Just to make the issue even more thorny, please read the post about the idiot stealing my buddies crab trap (and crabs). What do you do even when you catch'em red handed while in boats? Chase them to their home port while radioing for five-o to scoop'em? Will the cops care because some stole your crabs or trap? Interested in your opinions guys because my friend is getting ready for some frontier justice of his own. Any advise is appreciated.
Cheers.  

Adacas

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2004, 10:45:48 AM »

Just one little point to make here, I personally know of someone doing seven years right now for a retaliation, and the thief walked.  Its easy for the mounties to add charges like extortion, assault with weapons, intent to injure etc etc, to an ordinary assault charge which may spell years for you sharing a 6x8 cell with Broomstick Bruno. The perp may get charged with breaking a window. If nothing of value was left in these vehicles then these guys would get tired of breaking into them and getting skunked.

otto

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2004, 09:04:32 PM »

blueback...you been hit as well???   that makes about 4 people from this forum that have had their crabs traps nicked............maybe its time to have a diver hang around the traps and when theyt get pulled up really surprise the guy!!!

Rosco P. COHOtrane

• The rivers are calling and I must go...
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2004, 09:10:12 PM »

"A good thrashing would do them good, as the police would give them a simple slap on the wrist and send them on their way again."

::)   ::)   ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

Au contraire. It is a judge that sentences these a$$holes. Thieves deserve nothing better than a good ol'fashion police beating!  

« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 09:17:58 PM by Rosco P. COHOtrane »

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2004, 10:00:13 PM »

I am going to try and get some day patrols by Citizens On Patrol in our fishing areas but that will not happen soon. It's a while down the road. Meanwhile, in my opinion, as much as it will make you feel good to pound the crap out a perpetrator, there are some real crazies out there high on some real dangerous stuff. When high they are not sane and will do absolutely anything to steal items of value. They have no conscience and can be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2004, 10:33:43 PM »

Yes Terry is right, it is best to leave this in the hands of the RCMP or Citizens on Patrol. When out on the river watch for any of this activity and record license numbers and details. Then phone RCMP. If they can not attend go to the RCMP office and report the incident and follow up.

I am doing a tour of the river with one of the City Councillers  and the RCMP shortly re garbage dumping, illegal all terrian vehicles on the reparian zone etc.. I will also discuss what they can suggest to limit all the car breakins we are now experiencing on the Chilliwack/Vedder that is spoiling our fishing activitiy.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2004, 11:03:02 AM »

despite my beliefs...it wasn't me either.....

Funny story about use of force....

about 3 years ago, I came home and saw a guy in my bedroom on the top floor of my house - through the window. (my house is on a cliff, and the top floor is about 50 feet from my garden below.

So I snuck down into my basement, pulled out my spear gun...loaded it, and went up stairs. I warned the perp that I had a loaded weapon, I had called hte police (which I had), and that he better stay put. In retrospec, I should have guarded the perimeter of the house, as he decided the 50 foot jump off the top deck was a better option that a spear through the gut.

Needless to say..the only thing the cops found was an impact crater in the garden below. Somewhere...a thief limps......

When the cop came....he didn't seem to have a problem with the fact that I had chosen to arm myself with a spear gun...he actually thought it was a pretty good idea.

Now I keep a 150lbs Newfoundland dog on guard instead. He is gentle...but he makes a HELL of a noise if he doesn't know you. ;)
You don't make friends with salad.

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2004, 03:16:16 PM »

Gotta go with Fulcrum on that one....we lose no matter what...best to keep out of it.

As for crab traps, make sure that we all report every theft.  Many of my pals have lost traps but have not reported it, report it so that accurate stats can be kept and the problem is properly documented.  Then when it comes time to assign resources to these problems we will not be overlooked.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2004, 10:01:40 PM »

thats why you don't shoot to kill..you just stick them to the wall until the cops show up...and ask yourself this....I have entered a hostile situation without realising it....can I not defend myself...better 10 years than losing my own life....

otto

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2004, 03:52:13 PM »

hehehe  fresh meat? ;D

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2004, 07:17:01 PM »

I've seen Oz...looks like  a pretty cushy lifestyle to me.

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2004, 06:12:55 PM »

Chris, Terry,

Would you kindly post an emergency contact number for  RCMP &/or Citizens on Patrol in Vedder area?

Or will 911 work in that area?

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2004, 03:06:53 AM »

911 works for emergancies... like Aquaboy chasing down car thieves with a spear gun ;)
Thank you, Mig-Dude!

but.., in above case, should I ask for the ambulance or the police car?  ;D ;D  The police dog would be nice, I guess..
Personally I'd be cheering Aquaboy with neon wool pom-poms.. (bit small though..)
or I will try to pin the bull's eye on thieve's bullock.

Dynamite kid

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2004, 03:36:41 AM »

Right on Aqua boy,never mind the people who chose to be victims.If more people protected their stuff with this attitude then theives would think twice.That being said,I also believe that one must be as heavily armed as a scumbag,which fortunately in our country does not require a machine gun.When a person sinks to the level of doing property crime ,they seldom have more than a cheap can of bear spray.I on the other hand................... ;D