Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crabbing off piers  (Read 16835 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
Crabbing off piers
« on: May 17, 2004, 08:21:38 AM »

Which is the best pier to to crab from? Thinking about goin this weekend with some buddies but never had much luck with getting any crabs of the right size.

thanks

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
Re:Crabbing off piers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 04:02:39 PM »

they closed about 3 weeks ago... too much breaking the regulations. and littering.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 05:02:40 PM »

The pier at Jericho Beach closed?

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 06:11:42 PM »

Ya, damn those people who steals crabs *pardon my language*
just go when ever pass 12, you will see people with pillow bags just putting what ever crabs they catch in there. you might even think they are santas.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 07:06:43 PM »

the sad part is that it has been going on for over 20 years with lots of tickets being issued. yet still it happens at night.......now these same people will head off to ambleside to do the same thing.  ???

Randog

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 07:21:20 PM »

Heres a crabbing tip; keep all of your Pink salmon and sockeye heads and tails, and place them in an old large peanut butter jar (empty). I drill 1/2 inch holes all the way around the jar, allowing the scent to waft out. Then throw them in the freezer. On the day your going crabbing just grab the jar from the freezer and chuck it in the trap. No fuss no muss ;D and the crabs cant get to the bait. after you done just throw it back in the deep freeze for next time.

Cheers,
                                             Randog

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 09:32:16 PM »

randog gotta give that a try!! :D

otto

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 10:57:11 PM »

i just phoned fisheries hotline to report illegal crabbing from the park/swimminmg pool area near the geain pool under second narrows....despite the signs, you always find people from the restaurants crabbin there....some of the crabs were only 3 cm wide.......

. ;D ;D ;D ;D i gotta admit though...i had fun cutting their crab trap lines and attaching rubber chickens and then popping up from under the dock with my nightvision goggles and black combat fatigues...scared the "p**p" out of the three crabbers.........

fisheries guy thanked me for the heads up but gave me sh** for my tactical tricks  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 10:38:12 PM »

That would be woth seeing :D :D
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

otto

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 11:20:50 PM »

go down to new brighton park on any given night. wait a bit near the shore with a klieg light and watch for the crabbers. flick the switch, light up the area and watch them freak out and try to run with their traps and illegal crabs. it's lotsa fun with several people and several spotlamps. i've made numerous calls to CrabWatch to report illegal crabbing down there

blueback

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 11:51:40 AM »

I used to bike down to the pier at Jericho and stand and watch people crab. I wore bike shorts and a bright flo green coat and many thought I was a cop because whern I arrived you could see them panic and stealthily move away from the pier and even some dumped their undersized crabs back into the water under my icy glare. ;D ;D. Good thing those @##@%^$$ can't throw those traps too far into the bay!Makes me long for a citizens patrol to be able fine/arrest the eco-criminals!  

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2004, 12:52:50 PM »

Otto..I like your style.

I was down diviing in Whytecliff a few years back, and as I was walking down to shore there was a Vietnamese dude virtually sitting on the "no fishing" sign. I told him to take a walk, and he said "me speak no English." So in I went, and I gave him the international underwater signal for "leave the area immediately. Poor little guy...he must have though he had a nice juicy fish on. I snipped his hook off VERY gently...then wrapped afew lengths of his line around my hand. then...I gave him a nice gentle little tug...I could feel him set the hook, so I put my feet on a rock at about 40 feet and started pulling with all of my might.

When I came up after my dive....he was wet and angry. I left the area very satisfied.

You don't make friends with salad.

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2004, 02:15:48 PM »

were you diving? haha, dont mess with nammers man. you never know what they might come back with.... they do make good noodles.

and otto is gona get my rod back right!?! ;D

ahans

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2004, 03:33:38 PM »

Is there a fishing pier at New Brighton Park where you can drop your crab trap from? Thinking of taking my little girl for a picnic there on Sunday. Thanks  :)

otto

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2004, 04:43:54 PM »

Aquaboy....that is so cool!! i've wanted to do that for years!!!
 one of these days i'm going to wait for these crabbers, snorkel out and put a "bloody head" from a theater props department in their crab trap........the head in one trap, a leg in another, and a pair of hands/feet in the third trap.........can you imagine the look on their faces when they reel in their traps.... ;D ;D ;D ;D