Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Chilliwack River Boxing Day Steelhead Fishing Derby  (Read 22088 times)

Sr SQ

Re: 2014 Chilliwack River Boxing Day Steelhead Fishing Derby
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »

Wow, roughly the same angling effort as this year but this year only yielding roughly 20% of the catch of 86.

86 was a big year for all the systems though as the hatcheries all pounded out the fish for expo……...

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 08:48:07 PM »

So where does all the boxing day derby ticket sales go too? So with 250 guys and 20 bucks a ticket should be around 5000 bucks. I was at the derby and the prizes seemed very poor? Also why do they hand out coffee mugs to the guys who caught fish? Why not individual mounting trophys? I think that would be more appropriate and liked. Sorry, don't want to sound like a downer.
The Bigger The Better!

mikeyman

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 10:09:39 PM »

Derby seems to be less attended each year. Not much advertising and less prizes. The top selections where good but quantity was less. I believe the prizes are all donated and money goes to river restoration. Pretty sure everyone volunteers so with that in mind it is well done. Thanks for giving us something to do on boxing day and keeping the tradition.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:15:13 PM by mikeyman »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2015, 07:36:31 AM »

So where does all the boxing day derby ticket sales go too? So with 250 guys and 20 bucks a ticket should be around 5000 bucks.
Good question ... I can't remember the last time the Fish and Game club spent any money on this river.  Perhaps a member or two could chime in.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2015, 09:27:16 AM »

Derby seems to be less attended each year. Not much advertising and less prizes. The top selections where good but quantity was less. I believe the prizes are all donated and money goes to river restoration. Pretty sure everyone volunteers so with that in mind it is well done. Thanks for giving us something to do on boxing day and keeping the tradition.
245 in '86 and 247 this year.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »

So where does all the boxing day derby ticket sales go too? So with 250 guys and 20 bucks a ticket should be around 5000 bucks. I was at the derby and the prizes seemed very poor? Also why do they hand out coffee mugs to the guys who caught fish? Why not individual mounting trophys? I think that would be more appropriate and liked. Sorry, don't want to sound like a downer.
Join up with the club, I am sure they would welcome help with the derby next year. It always is hard to get help and to find people to go and dig up the prizes.

The Pike Minnow Derby at Cultus Lake may not go this year for the lack of volunteers and a group to take the lead.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2015, 08:35:23 PM »

Join up with the club, I am sure they would welcome help with the derby next year. It always is hard to get help and to find people to go and dig up the prizes.
I agree with your thoughts Chris; finding volunteers is indeed difficult.  No offence meant here my friend, but are you a member of this group and speaking for them?  It seems to me since Gwynn Joiner passed away this Association has become more gun/hunting oriented ... with far less involvement in fisheries issues.
And that's fine and is their prerogative ...  but Big Fishers question is still unanswered.

Please, anyone a member of this Association, tell us where this money will be spent.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »

With up to 5,000 people reading the website daily, participation can easily be increased if someone at the association sends me the derby information so it can be published, which hasn't been done in the past couple of years now. It's free promotion for clubs, associations and stewardship groups... should take advantage of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 11:39:08 AM »

I agree with your thoughts Chris; finding volunteers is indeed difficult.  No offence meant here my friend, but are you a member of this group and speaking for them?  It seems to me since Gwynn Joiner passed away this Association has become more gun/hunting oriented ... with far less involvement in fisheries issues.
And that's fine and is their prerogative ...  but Big Fishers question is still unanswered.

Please, anyone a member of this Association, tell us where this money will be spent.
No I am not a member, most likely should be but like you trying not to be involved in as many groups as in the past. I do my part in covering and taking pictures of the derby for this fishing forum. Here is a 2000 story I wrote pre derby for anyone wished to read it. http://theprogress.newspapers.com/image/81599507/?terms=Chris+Gadsden

norton

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 10:08:52 PM »

Attendance was down quite a lot this Boxing Day compared to last year.