Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, what was your steelhead eating?  (Read 22232 times)

Quinsam_Lose_Some

Re: So, what was your steelhead eating?
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2014, 08:23:19 AM »

but they do bite, and, at times, rather actively, on a variety of things. And they most often do so in the period before or after I get there. ;D

LOL... You too?

banx

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2014, 10:46:03 AM »

I watched a great video once, of winter Steelhead actively feeding on mayflies, and fly anglers catching them. So it does happen. I looked for the vid but I can't find it

yes sir. raising the ghost.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOLKPSVS1Ug

obie1fish

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »

Holy crap...what a video. I'm stoked. Thanks for posting it, Banx!

quill

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 01:25:32 PM »

I think those are summer run steelhead in the vid, not winters.

spoiler

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 03:23:37 PM »

one tryed to eat my float this morning!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 04:55:19 PM »

one tryed to eat my float this morning!
I remember when I was a kid fishing the Vedder, very early sixties.  Back then it was very common for soldiers in the nearby Army base to sneak away for a few casts, or to fish on their lunch breaks , done so in full uniform …their Sargent Major, a present Vedder River legend and master BS’er, was one of them! 
 Anyway, I was fishing the boomsticks around noonish one day and sure enough a bunch of Army guys arrived.   Well, one of these guys chucked out his gear and sure enough a steelhead came up and grabbed his float … back then the floats used were huge balsa wood monstrosities with big sticks to hold the line tight to the wood … anyway, a great fight ensued and the fish was eventually killed (no fish were released in those days) because this fish was not able to dislodge the float stick from its mouth.

Back to subject :D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »

I remember when I was a kid fishing the Vedder, very early sixties.  Back then it was very common for soldiers in the nearby Army base to sneak away for a few casts, or to fish on their lunch breaks , done so in full uniform …their Sargent Major, a present Vedder River legend and master BS’er, was one of them! 
 Anyway, I was fishing the boomsticks around noonish one day and sure enough a bunch of Army guys arrived.   Well, one of these guys chucked out his gear and sure enough a steelhead came up and grabbed his float … back then the floats used were huge balsa wood monstrosities with big sticks to hold the line tight to the wood … anyway, a great fight ensued and the fish was eventually killed (no fish were released in those days) because this fish was not able to dislodge the float stick from its mouth.

Back to subject :D

I had a large steelhead on the Vedder do that to me 2 years ago.

Fishing pockets and missed a good hit...

Went back through the same pocket and had a 14+ fish smoke my float. I ended up fighting the doe for 3 or so mins and got it right to the beach before she finally spat my float back at me. I was pretty shocked she held onto it for that long, but maybe as you said it could have actually gotten stuck in her mouth.

This was in April though, late April in 20+C, so understandable it would come up to the top.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2014, 05:57:20 PM »

I never get sick of listening to your stories. :o
The Bigger The Better!

sbc hris

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2014, 12:11:12 AM »

yes sir. raising the ghost.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOLKPSVS1Ug

Thanks banx,
That's the video I was thinking of, but for some reason I remembered them being winters. Cool vid none the less.