Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, what was your steelhead eating?  (Read 22230 times)

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
Re: So, what was your steelhead eating?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »

You might want to check up on that again.
i'm glad the boss did some research!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 07:59:49 PM »

i'm glad the boss did some research!

No research was needed...

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 09:13:54 PM »

So, back on topic ... please report what you find in the stomachs of any hatchery steelhead killed in the next few months  :)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 02:17:54 AM »

Sorry Dave, with so few of them out there, if I luck out and get one, I will be releasing it so someone else has a chance to play with it, bonk it and examine its stomach's contents.
Not all those who wander are lost

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 02:54:26 AM »

Pacific Salmon are the same genus as steelhead! Come on Dave, that has been proven false already! I am not trying to belittle you but you might want to do a search under Oncorhynchus Mykiss. If anything a Steelhead is more of a relative to the Atlantic Salmon than the Pacific species! I am not on here to make bs up. The facts are out there.

Actually, the steelhead was classified as genus Salmo for a while thanks to Scottish naturalist Sir John Richardson who received a sample from the Columbia in 1836 until genetic studies in the 1980s show them to be closer to Pacific salmon and they were moved back to the genus Orcorhynchus where German naturalist Johann Walbaum had originally placed it in 1792 when he first found it in Russia's Kamchatka.
Not all those who wander are lost

firebird

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »

Sorry for hijacking your thread again Dave. Here's a link to an interesting paper about spawning salmon feeding on eggs.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/F09-103

Ok, back on topic ... please report what you find in the stomachs of any hatchery steelhead killed in the next few months  :) 

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 07:58:14 AM »

Sorry for hijacking your thread again Dave. Here's a link to an interesting paper about spawning salmon feeding on eggs.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/F09-103

Ok, back on topic ... please report what you find in the stomachs of any hatchery steelhead killed in the next few months  :)
A hijack like this is well worth it firebird!  Great information I was unaware of.
I bow to you greyghost ;)

TNAngler

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2014, 07:16:08 AM »

Let's also remember that as cold blooded animals, fish in the winter with really cold waters will have a metabolism that moves as fast as a slug surrounded by salt.  Naturally they will eat less and digest what they do eat more slowly.  Just part of who they are.

drh

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 09:50:17 PM »

The fish I whacked last Saturday had absolutely nothing in her belly,but that's a lower river January fish.
I've always been intrigued with what the fish are eating and check the stomachs of all I keep.
Usually the later season and further up river fish have more food inside based on my observations.
Years ago when we were allowed 2 hatch steelies as a daily retention I caught a 12lb hatch Doe and on the next cast I caught a buck about the same size.The buck had roe in it's belly but my hook was in a swivel in the mouth of the buck attached to a leader wrapped around a corkie inside.
A couple seasons ago I had 5 misses on bugs and on the 6th bite I set the hook and landed a 13ishlber with 5 of my bugs in its belly   

obie1fish

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 07:58:50 AM »

Lots of postulations to answer a specific question: do steelhead (and,as a sidebar, salmon) feed in fresh water? While this is a fair question, the bigger point unequivocally remains- that steelhead (and salmon) may or may not feed, but they do bite, and, at times, rather actively, on a variety of things. And they most often do so in the period before or after I get there. ;D

So for whatever motivation they bite, I'm glad they do, if for no other reason to be part of the sounds, sights, and camaraderie of the river.

CoastRider

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »

They certainly eat while they are in freshwater, whether that is due to protecting their eggs/redds or to feed some people will argue.

However, most researchers believe that steelhead do in fact feed while in freshwater. In order for a steelhead to stay in the system for 6+months, and be able to survive and return to the ocean, it seems plausible that they need to feed

fish bonk

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 04:15:58 PM »

Cleaned a nice doe today and she was as empty as Rob Fords bank account.  ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 05:21:42 PM »

Cleaned a nice doe today and she was as empty as Rob Fords bank account.  ;D

LOL!!

sbc hris

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 10:47:40 AM »

I watched a great video once, of winter Steelhead actively feeding on mayflies, and fly anglers catching them. So it does happen. I looked for the vid but I can't find it

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 06:49:37 PM »

No need for the bow Dave. Carry on guys/gals, the info is out there! Haven't been around way to busy, fishing!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"