Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, what was your steelhead eating?  (Read 22230 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
So, what was your steelhead eating?
« on: January 18, 2014, 04:40:33 PM »

Yesterday a good friend gave me a chrome bright steelhead he had just caught from the Vedder.  While butchering this fish I opened up the stomach to have a look and, not surprisingly found a bunch of stuff … app 20 single salmon eggs, ranging in color from orange to white, a one inch chunk of angler dyed pink shrimp/prawn, and a 4” pink rubber worm.

Over the years I have examined the stomach contents of quite a few steelhead and invariably they all have something to show;  feathers, salmon eggs, chunks of roe, prawns, ghost shrimp, pieces of wood, gravel, plastic baits, etc.  So it got me to wondering what other anglers have found in the stomachs of these fish? Because steelhead in freshwater have lost the ability to digest food items, it is important to note what you may find in an April caught fish could have been eaten a few months previously.

So, what was your steelhead eating before you bonked it?

firebird

Re: So, what was your steelhead eating?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »

Sorry Dave, no info available here. I've never had any interest in what hatchery fish have been eating  :D

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 05:44:05 PM »

This one was only eating single eggs until it ate a fly.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 06:26:54 PM »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:07:33 PM »

Sorry Dave, no info available here. I've never had any interest in what hatchery fish have been eating  :D
Can't buy that Mike! If you have killed a hatchery fish over the years, and I suspect you have, your bio mind made you check!!

Ian Forbes

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 08:56:22 PM »

Small children, the occasional cat or dog, and the big, black and purple Intruder I was soaking.

sbc hris

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 11:06:12 PM »

Found a piece of purple wax about the size of a quarter once. I don't know if wax breaks down in fish or not, could of been there awhile.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 12:05:52 PM »

Small children, the occasional cat or dog,

Those a food for pike, not steelhead.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »

last thing mine ate was my fly, due to a fin being there I have no idea what it was eating beforehand  ;)

while reviving it it did however lunge up and grab a stick floating down of around 6" in size  :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

CoastRider

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 08:07:50 PM »

Of the few fish I have bonked, i have found mainly single eggs, a pink worm, a gooey bob, and lots of pebbles(presumably from eating singles)

However, i have seen steelhead eat my float, split shots, blue fox laying motionless on the bottom in a foot of water after releasing it, etc

jim

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 01:07:58 PM »

I have had two hatchery steelies with memorable stomach contents.
The first was on the Capilano, back in the 80's, which was a bar pf chrome. 9 worms, 4 salmon eggs, a piece of ghost shrimp and a millipeed type worm.
 In 2012, a vedder fish had a 6" plastic worm c/w hook and kinky leader.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 09:07:30 PM »

Question for Dave.

You say when a steelhead enters fresh water it loses the ability to digest food! So when a summer-run enters its home river in June and swims around for lets say 9/10 months before the spawn they can't digest food? Just living on fat reserves,  Really? I have caught a lot of steelhead in my time and have seen some weird things in the stomachs. From smolts, fry, worms, bugs, cig butts, eggs, gravel and artificial baits. Plus there is always something going towards their sh*ter!

Please post the info that you studied / read this from.

Thanks, I need a good read!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 07:45:38 AM »

Question for Dave.

You say when a steelhead enters fresh water it loses the ability to digest food! So when a summer-run enters its home river in June and swims around for lets say 9/10 months before the spawn they can't digest food? Just living on fat reserves,  Really? I have caught a lot of steelhead in my time and have seen some weird things in the stomachs. From smolts, fry, worms, bugs, cig butts, eggs, gravel and artificial baits. Plus there is always something going towards their sh*ter!

A quick Google search found this ...
“For salmon, fat is where it’s at. When they’re living in the ocean, salmon eat a lot to store up plenty of fat. This fat is the fuel they need to get to their spawning grounds. Once salmon enter freshwater, they stop eating. So a salmon is a lot like a car that must make a long trip on one tank of gas. If anything delays the salmon, they may use up their fuel too soon — and not have enough to make it home.”
— U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Pacific Region

“Mature fish caught in a stream or river are unlikely to have any food in their digestive system. Spawning fish stop eating when they begin their upstream run, and may go up to 16 weeks without food before spawning and dying.”
— Great Canadian Rivers

“The salmon undergoes physiological changes as it travels. Before it enters fresh water, its digestive system shuts down. It may go without food for 12 months.”
— Parks Canada

“When the salmon begin their upriver spawning migration, they stop eating.”
— Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

“When they’re living in the ocean, salmon eat and store up fat for their return to their spawning grounds. Once salmon enter freshwater they no longer feed.”
— U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Pacific Southwest Region

“Salmon stop feeding as they enter fresh water. Their stomach is no longer needed and it begins to disintegrate internally -- leaving more room for the developing eggs and sperm.”
— ThinkSalmon.com

“Salmon stop eating and drinking when they enter fresh water, because the lack of salt water is a shock to their systems. The change is such a shock, in fact, that internal organs begin failing in some salmon.”
— Discovery Channel

“Even before salmon begin their upstream migrations, they begin changing from bright silver to dark brown and finally to black. Their digestive tracts shrink to almost nothing and they stop eating. As a result, salmon are reluctant to bite once they move into their home streams. Still, many are taken during the spawning run, probably because they strike out of instinct rather than hunger.”
— Reel Fishing Reports
http://www.reelfishingreports.com/salmon-fishing.html

“Salmon use all their energy for returning to their home stream, for making eggs and digging the nest. Most salmon stop eating when they return to freshwater and have no energy left for a return trip to the ocean after spawning.”
— U.S.G.S. Western Fisheries Research Center

“Salmon stop eating once they head toward their respective spawning grounds. They rely solely on fat reserves for energy.”
— PBS

“Salmon do not eat once they have entered fresh water and they leave the ocean heavy with the fats and nutrients that they will subsist on during their freshwater phase.”
— Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute

“The upstream journey of salmon to their spawning grounds may last weeks and cover thousands of kilometer — and they don't eat during the journey.”
— Canadian Museum of Nature

“King salmon are almost nothing like trout or bass. They do not bite like any other fish, in fact, they don't really bite at all. Spawning salmon are in the river only to breed. They do not eat once they hit fresh water.”
— AlaskaKings.com

“Upon entering freshwater, the salmon stop eating altogether and will only strike at other fish or a fisherman’s tackle in aggravation.”
— Fish Alaska Magazine

“In the preparation for spawning the digestive system atrophies so as to make continued existence impossible, but the atrophy supplies materials and space for gametes, and unburdens the fish of extra weight, unnecessary to the single reproductive effort, in its upstream journey. The mouth of the male undergoes changes which aid the fish in sexual combat, but make it unfit for the efficient ingestion of food.”
— George Williams quoted by Andrew Hendry, Asst. Professor of Biology at McGill University

“As salmon swim upstream to spawn, they stop eating and darken, and their jaws hook.”
— U.S. Forest Service

“Adult salmon returning to spawn do not eat but instead tap into fat and muscle energy reserves built up during several years in the ocean.”
— Seattle.gov
http://www.seattle.gov/util/About_SP...U01_002756.asp

“Once they begin their spawn these fish stop eating and will eventually die.”
— Trout’s Fly Fishing

“Salmon do not usually feed after entering freshwater and severe atrophy of the digestive system sets in before spawning begins.”
— U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (1982)

“Once adult salmon begin this arduous return journey, they stop eating entirely. Using stored energy, they battle their way upstream.”
— Idaho Rivers United

TNAngler

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 10:51:38 AM »

Question for Dave.

Wait, a fish enters fresh water in June and then swims around just hanging out 9/10 months until January or February before they spawn?

That is a steelhead though.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:53:15 AM by TNAngler »

TNAngler

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »

I didn't know steelhead stayed in there that long but a quick search says that steelhead do eat at least some in freshwater, especially summer run and when the water is warmer.