Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help! Wanting to tie my own jigs...  (Read 22450 times)

Suther

Re: Help! Wanting to tie my own jigs...
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »

Upon searching the internet and whatnot, Bent Rods actually offers very competitive prices for smaller (ie only 10 jigs, not 100 or something) kits... But you cant place an order under $40 on their website. That sucks... I think Im heading into Army and Navy tomorrow to see what they've got for supplies, hopefully they stock the Bent Rod jig kits.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »

I think Im heading into Army and Navy tomorrow to see what they've got for supplies, hopefully they stock the Bent Rod jig kits.

They do

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2013, 10:35:42 PM »

If your that stuck and money is certainly an object then do what a good ol boy/redneck would do,

grab hook,
squeeze large split shot on hook near eye
tie on some purple or pink marabou with elastic band or magic thread

go fishing, it works great,...... it really is that simple.

fishtruck

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 09:30:02 AM »

Bently, I love that solution. Simple and cheap. Will definitely try that one day soon. Find whatever they're hitting on that day and make it on the spot. Thanks

Suther

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 11:16:54 AM »

If your that stuck and money is certainly an object then do what a good ol boy/redneck would do,

grab hook,

Thats not a terrible idea at all, although my funds are not THAT limited... Besides, I dont have any suitable hooks for doing that with in my box, so I'd have to go buy hooks no matter what lol

Has anyone had any luck using dollar store nail polish to color jigs or lures? Seems like a cheap and easy way to do things, but I question how resilient it would be...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:20:03 AM by Suther »

Kever

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 08:21:01 PM »

I needed to change the colour of my jig last week so I just tied some purple wool to my existing jig and proceeded to catch chum. Just needed a few loops of fishing line tied to the beads already there. Not the cheapest option but it worked for changing colours quickly.

MoeJKU

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 08:54:43 AM »

Thats not a terrible idea at all, although my funds are not THAT limited... Besides, I dont have any suitable hooks for doing that with in my box, so I'd have to go buy hooks no matter what lol

Has anyone had any luck using dollar store nail polish to color jigs or lures? Seems like a cheap and easy way to do things, but I question how resilient it would be...
That paint will work, the paint on jig heads usually get scratched off and chipped  if it hits rocks, so with cheapo paint i imagine it will be worse, but you can just always repaint them.

Suther

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »

The reason I ask about nail polish is that it is typically waterproof and chip resistant, so I was thinking it should last longer than other cheap options. Also you can get all sorts of crazy colors including glitter and glow-in-the-dark

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 02:15:57 PM »

grab hook,

Suther: by all means try this idea out, but seriously I would just buy some proper damn jig hooks. Split shot tend to loosen, twist, ride down the hook, etc. Plus look at a jig hook...the eye is usually bent at 90 degrees to the hook. A standard octopus/salmon hook will NOT fish like a proper jig hook. That being said the hook + split shot idea may just work so by all means try it.

Nail polish works fine for painting. My gf gave me a bunch she didnt use plus i bought some from the dollar store. Id do a final coat of hard clear coat like sally hansen hard as nails. I prefer the metal bead and pin jigs as they dont get chipped up like the painted lead heads.

To save money here's a tip...if you have a jig that has been ripped up by fish dont toss it...put it in your vise, cut the materials off with a razor, and tie up a new jig! Sharpen hook at the same time and maybe even paint head a new color. Ive tried adding stick on eyes, sparkles, combos of paint colors dtc. I keep reusing my jig heads until either it breaks off on a snag or a fish.

If youre getting into jig fishing I would buy a dozen or so jig heads, some basic materials to tie up some jigs in colors/materials you like, and cut/retie any jigs that get ripped up.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »

100% agree with Gooey. Painted jig head is for catching fishermen, not fish.
If dead drifted the fish should never see the head, for example.

MoeJKU

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »

Yes you always want to re use your jig hooks and heads. I find that if  i tie up colors i and either never use them or have never seen any fish action ill just cutem up and re tie them.

jacked55

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »

I was using a couple of my own fresh tied jigs and apparently i tied something wrong cause after a few fish battles i lost the pin and ball. It just popped off of the jig hook. So, can yuo buy new pins and balls separately of the package or do you have to buy a whole kit to get more balls and pins? 

MoeJKU

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 03:41:03 PM »

you can buy them separately at sea run last time i was in. I wrap them on the hook tie it off with a whip finish, most likely two, then put head cement on the  wraps. Let dry then add material after it dries.
Never had a problem going that way.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »

exactly what Moe said. you need to tie the pin to the hook shank, lay a base layer of thread down first will make give it something to grab onto because metal on metal will slide over time. gluing it will increase its durability also. This is the same thing us fly guys do when tying trailer hooks onto hook shanks.

It doesn't surprise me that chum battles would toss the pins. they can thrash and chew on the jig allowing the materials to become even a tiny bit loose which will cause your pin to slide out

You guys are starting to make me think about tying my own jigs. problem with that is that I never fish them  ???
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2013, 06:03:45 PM »

I tie the bead + pin down with a good layer of thread, whip finish (or just half hitches will suffice) then glue with a solid glue like zap-a-gap, crazy glue, etc. You want something that will dry fast. I normally decide how many jigs I'm going to tie then tie up all pins + beads first, let them all dry, then add whatever materials I decide on. I've had chum rip my jig to shreds but I've never had a pin rip out.

I agree the head color likely doesn't make a difference. Partly why I prefer the pin heads as they dont get all chipped up like the painted ones. However the odd time I like to paint a lead head some cool color just for kicks. I just try to fish it on a nice deep "jiggy" run where it won't get chipped up when Im reeling in.