Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help! Wanting to tie my own jigs...  (Read 22447 times)

Suther

Help! Wanting to tie my own jigs...
« on: October 22, 2013, 12:13:44 PM »

So the subject basically says it all. I want to start tying jigs.

I have never tied anything before, but looking at some videos on youtube, it seems easy enough with some practice.

My question is this - what should I buy to start with? Also can anyone explain what the some of the different materials are? (maribou is turkey feather, for instance?)

Thanks!

zap brannigan

Re: Help! Wanting to tie my own jigs...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 12:31:30 PM »

Maribou, shlappen, rabbit strips and crystal flash.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »

If you are in the Abbotsford/Chiiliwack area I would contact Fred's Custom Tackle to see if Rod Toth will be doing some jig tying classes  over the next few weeks. Failing that you could contact him at his company Bent Rod jigs.

MoeJKU

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »

Follow the above advice. It does depend on what type of fish you will be going for. I have found Cross cut rabbit strips to work the best mixed with schlappen, to get the two color patterns.  Also i have found the rabbit strips to last longer than maribou, but marabou is cheaper and has some great pulsing motions in the water.  i tend to stick with  3/8 jig heads for most of my jigs, but there is 1/4 and 1/4 that work well. Depending on the species i will use Size 1 hooks mainly for steelies, cohos, pinks, and then 1/0 hooks for chum and chinooks. You can even start  tying some up for trout as they work great for them as well.
I'm starting to mess with some smaller jig sizes as well as larger ones, for different conditions.
Cheers,
Moe

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 02:24:33 PM »

If you are in the Abbotsford/Chiiliwack area I would contact Fred's Custom Tackle to see if Rod Toth will be doing some jig tying classes  over the next few weeks. Failing that you could contact him at his company Bent Rod jigs.

Rod has done them at hatchmatch'r in maple ridge in the past as well - great class!  http://www.hatchmatchr.com/
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Suther

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »

Hardly even have money to be buying stuff, so I wont be taking any classes... Im usually a quick learner, and from what I've seen on YouTube its not that difficult to do once you get the hang of it.

Whats the difference between straight strips and crosscut rabbit strips? One vid I watched the guy prefered straight but didn't really explain why...

What about tools and thread? I already have a good pair of scissors, so I dont need them, but some thread and something to hold it seems like a good investment? I was thinking about trying to create a make-shift vice with some vice grips and maybe some lumber... Anyone done something like this?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 04:22:20 PM »

Marabou is not turkey feathers

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:30:12 PM »

Forget about the rabbit fur, schlappen is where it's at. The rabbit fur has very little to no action in the current so it acts as a filler. I find that I hook more fish on jigs made out of all feathers than feathers and fur. Most of the time it is the stupidest, ugliest, most simple jigs that hook the most fish.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

MoeJKU

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »

Yes it acts as a fill most of the time. I just like it because it lasts longer. I use it as a bottom color, and then have the schlappen as the color on top. I do agree though i have had some straight schlappen jigs that have been deadly. its always nice to have some of each i find.

Tools all i use is a vise, bobbin, hackle tool (sometimes), and a whip finish tool (not anymore i learnt to do it by hand).

Thread just go to you local tackle shop and grab some it can be fairly big for jigs you don't really need to conceal the thread to much

Suther

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »

Marabou is not turkey feathers
Then what is it?  And wtf is schlappen?

What is a hackle tool and whip finish tool? Those were not covered in the vids I watched

yakideath12

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 07:39:04 PM »

no problem with rabbit cross hair and zonker
easy to tie and effective

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »

Then what is it?  And wtf is schlappen?

What is a hackle tool and whip finish tool? Those were not covered in the vids I watched

Marabou is generally from chickens. A hackle tool is a tool used to hold hackles for tying although it can be used to hold other tying materials such as chenille. A whip finish tool is used to finish a fly and tie a knot at the head. You can achieve the same result by doing half hitches with your fingers.

big spring

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »

Just go to a&n.or local tackle shop,they have fly tying vise,come with all the tools u need for fly tying.just make tying lot easier.they aren't that expensive.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »

Just a few random comments from what I've read. I started fly tying with jigs and it's a good way to start as they are pretty easy to tie and you dont need a ton of expensive materials. I took a jig tying class at Sea Run in Coquitlam and it was awesome and the instructors are top notch. Watching youtube videos is good and I learned a lot from it but I really would reccomend taking a class if you can swing it. Normally about $50 and they supply all the materials, you will tie 5-6 jigs, learn tips on fishing them etc. Check out Sea Run's website or call.

As far as rabbit goes straight or "zonker" cut is generally used for tails as the fur flows straight back. Cross cut is more used for wrapping for bodies as the fur is cut so it will flow back when wrapped around a hook.

For thread I like UTC 140 as it's nice and strong. You will need a bobbin. Spend a few extra bucks and get one with a ceramic tip as it'll break your thread much less often. For now you do not need a whip finish tool you can just use half hitches with your fingers.

I have a very basic clamp vise that you can HAVE if you can pick it up in Chilliwack. I started out with it as it was given to me. Now I have a nicer rorary vise but this basic one works fine you just need a table to clamp it to.

Aside from that all you need to get going is some head cement/glue, a few different colors in your materials of choice, and a little patience! Also hackle pliers DO help when you are trying to wrap schlappen and other hackle...a must have for me I find it impossible to hold onto.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »

Hardly even have money to be buying stuff, so I wont be taking any classes... Im usually a quick learner, and from what I've seen on YouTube its not that difficult to do once you get the hang of it.

Whats the difference between straight strips and crosscut rabbit strips? One vid I watched the guy prefered straight but didn't really explain why...

What about tools and thread? I already have a good pair of scissors, so I dont need them, but some thread and something to hold it seems like a good investment? I was thinking about trying to create a make-shift vice with some vice grips and maybe some lumber... Anyone done something like this?

The course was next to free - ten or twenty bucks, and you tie a couple jigs that you keep.  Answers questions like the what is, where do I get, what's the difference of, what color for where etc etc...  Highly recommend finding one that Rod puts on....
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.