Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spooling centrepin reels  (Read 21912 times)

TROY B

• I'm a llama!
Re: Spooling centrepin reels
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 07:42:46 PM »

I am with bentley 100%

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 08:11:51 PM »

When using the pin it is helpful to play the line side to side (much like the worm gear on a level-wind)onto the spool with your fingers on the retrieve.This will spread the line out with some tension and help prevent loose line/line digging.Clicker use is personal but overuse will cause premature wear to clicker pawl.Save it for large/hot fish likely to make large/fast runs that would possibly cause operator error/over-runs
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

paulj

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »

Hey spoonman
Thanks for the great advise! Tight lines!

When using the pin it is helpful to play the line side to side (much like the worm gear on a level-wind)onto the spool with your fingers on the retrieve.This will spread the line out with some tension and help prevent loose line/line digging.Clicker use is personal but overuse will cause premature wear to clicker pawl.Save it for large/hot fish likely to make large/fast runs that would possibly cause operator error/over-runs

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »

I've been centerpin fishing since 1975 and NOT ONCE would I ever want the clicker to be off, i LIKE the sound of a screaming reel, it's all part of the fun listening to a reel scream while a double digit steelhead goes on a run.

The people your talking about that say it's a "newbie" or "beak" maneuver are usually young hipsters that think there gods gift to the centerpin. When my old hardy or talisman screams it's a blast just like it was waay back in the day and if anyone ever came up to me and told me to turn my clicker off I'd tell them there nothing but a....how would Dion say it ?? "A Well Educated Human Being".

Use the clicker, listen to it scream, that's a sound i never get bored of. I mean they didn't make old reels that growl for nothing, why should it be any different these days, cause a few clowns say it's annoying ?? what a joke that is hahahaha. :o

@ Geff_t, so is a gunshot but I'm not about to give up my rifles and settle on bow hunting only. ;)

You probably yell "FISH ON!" also... Even if no one is around.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 10:20:16 PM »

Clicker off. I don't need to advertise to everyone I have a fish on! Lol :o

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »

You probably yell "FISH ON!" also... Even if no one is around.

Ya okay, as you hide behind your keyboard tossing insults and sarcasm daily, it's old already little man, go fishing and get a life.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:23:34 PM by Bently »

salmonlover

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 11:47:20 PM »

Ya okay, as you hide behind your keyboard tossing insults and sarcasm daily, it's old already little man, go fishing and get a life.

You get used to his abrasive comments lol pretty much just ignore his post as he always has something negative say. I've come to the conclusion he was never loved as a kid or not happy with the size of his fishing rod  :P

jpar247

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 02:37:20 AM »

Make sure you dont have too much line on the spool. Also like said before, i found I would reel in with the reel facing up on a 45. I would build up more line on the one side of the spool. Found that would sometimes affect my toss.

After tossing light gear for Pinks with the Pin I've figured out you have to have a bit of weight on the end of your line to load that rod. Too light of gear and its birds nest central!

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 06:20:16 AM »

I use the clicker if I feel like it.Often as not I do not.My fishing experience.My preference.End of story.
Riverman

mojo7

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 07:48:19 AM »

One of the least publicized pleasures of fishing is trolling  (that is troll in internet use of the word, not the angling use, in the old days we used to call it being a d*ckhead ;D)  when  you've had a nasty snag and lost everything, float included, and you're taking off the next 5-10Ft of well worn mainline. The looks you get when you enthusiastically, perhaps overly so in my case, pull off your line with clicker engaged. All heads on the river turn towards your direction.

If you could only read minds. That would be more entertaining than fishing.  ;D

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »

The worm gear idea with the fingers works well. I have found with my rod that there is a sweet spot for the reel to be in in the reel seat as I used to have to do the worm gear finger thing. Try leveling off the line on the reel doing the worm gear thing then once it is leveled off loosen the reel seat and try moving the reel to the left or the right a bit. After I found the sweet spot on my rod I took an ultra fine point sharpie and made two little marks on the reel seat so it's easy to find it again.

What happened to your other reply Bently? Funny how you're a hypocrit because this is what you originally posted before you edited it out.
Sorry there hipster, but that's your line. Try posting something helpful or relevant instead of insults and sarcasm, you act like a mouthy little punk bitch on here almost daily, it's old already.
I sure love getting notifications of new posts via email, but I know you've been fishing since such and such date so you're entitled to insult others when someone takes a little poke at you. Sorry you're so old and sensitive...

You get used to his abrasive comments lol pretty much just ignore his post as he always has something negative say. I've come to the conclusion he was never loved as a kid or not happy with the size of his fishing rod  :P

I guess anything a person doesn't agree with is "abrasive" thing is I just say it like it is and too many people now a days are sheltered little babies made of sugar. Not ashamed of the "size of my rod" it's the average size (11' 3") and it's whether or not you know how to use it, and I for sure know how to use mine...

tworivers

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »

Average? Geez, I've always felt that when I had my 3113 in my hands I had something special.
Something a little more than the other guy.

The wife has used it on occasion. At first she took it slow, as she was used to much smaller rods.
But as time passed she experienced the benefits of the 3113 and always welcomed the smile it would put on her face.

Now thanks to Johnny Canuck, my 3113M feels like a L ;D

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »

What happened to your other reply Bently? Funny how you're a hypocrit because this is what you originally posted before you edited it out.  I sure love getting notifications of new posts via email, but I know you've been fishing since such and such date so you're entitled to insult others when someone takes a little poke at you. Sorry you're so old and sensitive...

Ya, I figured it was a bit over the top, but now that I think about it I should have just left it up, I mean after all, why hide the truth about you. There's really no sense in dealing with you anymore, your still wet behind the ears, maybe you should get a paper route so you can save up for that fancy new yellow raincoat you so desperately want for this winter. Later Bumbly

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 10:55:10 PM »

Average? Geez, I've always felt that when I had my 3113 in my hands I had something special.
Something a little more than the other guy.

The wife has used it on occasion. At first she took it slow, as she was used to much smaller rods.
But as time passed she experienced the benefits of the 3113 and always welcomed the smile it would put on her face.

Now thanks to Johnny Canuck, my 3113M feels like a L ;D

Mines an LB  :o  :-[

Ya, I figured it was a bit over the top, but now that I think about it I should have just left it up, I mean after all, why hide the truth about you. There's really no sense in dealing with you anymore, your still wet behind the ears, maybe you should get a paper route so you can save up for that fancy new yellow raincoat you so desperately want for this winter. Later Bumbly

Like I said, a hypocrite. You don't even know me, you're just assuming. This isn't sharphooks, there actually are people who come and enjoy this site like myself. Some of them are children so maybe act like an adult and teach the younger generation something. Now stop acting like a grumpy old fart with his depends stuffed so far up his butt because I said you yell "FISH ON!" when no one else is around.

Geeeeeeez some people are just so strung out and need to take a valium and go fishing.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 12:09:05 PM »

maybe you should take your own advice before calling anglers beeks or newbies for fishing a different way than you do. who cares if someone wants to fight the fish with the clicker on. get over it and move on.