Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spooling centrepin reels  (Read 21916 times)

paulj

Spooling centrepin reels
« on: September 10, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »

To those that are using centrepin:
I have recently started using centrepin and find that the line does not go out smoothly while drifting. I find that the reel stops spinning because the line get stuck  in the spool and i have to gently pull it out so that it will continue its drift. 

Why is this happening? Could it be that i have not spooled reel correctly? Im using maxima ultra green  12 lb mono and brand new raven matrix.
Any advice would be much appreciated!!

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Spooling centrepin reels
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 08:10:36 PM »

Does this happen to you after pulling on a snag or setting the hook on a fish?

If the line is spooled too loose, when you pull hard on something the line can dig in a bit.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »

The line must be spooled to loose, not that it really matters but did you put backing on it first ?? maybe take it to a local tackle shop and they can take the line off for you and re-spool it with the machine and get it tighter. The only time I have ever had that happen was when i wasn't paying attention and let the line build up on one side of the spool too much, the line fell over and created a back lash, good thing it was just another cast and not when a fish was on. :o

just a thought.

paulj

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 08:41:27 PM »

Yes, actually I did notice that it happened after I reeled in a fish. Thanks.

Does this happen to you after pulling on a snag or setting the hook on a fish?

If the line is spooled too loose, when you pull hard on something the line can dig in a bit.

paulj

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 08:42:22 PM »

Thanks for the advise. I think it's a good idea to have respooled tighter.

The line must be spooled to loose, not that it really matters but did you put backing on it first ?? maybe take it to a local tackle shop and they can take the line off for you and re-spool it with the machine and get it tighter. The only time I have ever had that happen was when i wasn't paying attention and let the line build up on one side of the spool too much, the line fell over and created a back lash, good thing it was just another cast and not when a fish was on. :o

just a thought.

paulj

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »

While we are on the subject of centrepin, why is it wrong to fight the fish with the clicker on? I hear it damages the drag system? Is this true? I see people fighting  fish with the clicker on sometimes.   

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »

When the line is properly spooled it shouldn't bind at all. In my reels, I put 100 yards of Dacron backing plus 100 yards of #15 p-line mono and never had a problem.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 08:50:48 PM »

While we are on the subject of centrepin, why is it wrong to fight the fish with the clicker on? I hear it damages the drag system? Is this true? I see people fighting  fish with the clicker on sometimes.

Clicker is not really a drag and I don't think it could be damaged by playing a fish while its on. I think it might be annoying to other fishermen if a fish is played for a long time with the clicker on. LOL.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 09:31:21 PM »

its preference. i honestly don't think their is a right way or a wrong way.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »

Clicker is not really a drag and I don't think it could be damaged by playing a fish while its on. I think it might be annoying to other fishermen if a fish is played for a long time with the clicker on. LOL.

X2 Some people consider it as "showing off"

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 10:30:06 PM »

Playing fish with the clicker on is a "newbie" or "beek" maneuver, some more seasoned anglers mock the one's who play fish with their clickers on.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »

On some rivers playing a fish with the clicker on is a dinner bell for the local bears. These are seasoned bears that have been on and around the river and have been accustomed to the sound of the clicker.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 10:54:07 PM »

Playing fish with the clicker on is a "newbie" or "beek" maneuver, some more seasoned anglers mock the one's who play fish with their clickers on.

I've been centerpin fishing since 1975 and NOT ONCE would I ever want the clicker to be off, i LIKE the sound of a screaming reel, it's all part of the fun listening to a reel scream while a double digit steelhead goes on a run.

The people your talking about that say it's a "newbie" or "beak" maneuver are usually young hipsters that think there gods gift to the centerpin. When my old hardy or talisman screams it's a blast just like it was waay back in the day and if anyone ever came up to me and told me to turn my clicker off I'd tell them there nothing but a....how would Dion say it ?? "A Well Educated Human Being".

Use the clicker, listen to it scream, that's a sound i never get bored of. I mean they didn't make old reels that growl for nothing, why should it be any different these days, cause a few clowns say it's annoying ?? what a joke that is hahahaha. :o

@ Geff_t, so is a gunshot but I'm not about to give up my rifles and settle on bow hunting only. ;)

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 10:54:39 PM »

don't turn the alarm system on or u will have 6 guys fishing shoulder to shoulder in  your spot hehe

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »

I've been centerpin fishing since 1975 and NOT ONCE would I ever want the clicker to be off, i LIKE the sound of a screaming reel, it's all part of the fun listening to a reel scream while a double digit steelhead goes on a run.

The people your talking about that say it's a "newbie" or "beak" maneuver are usually young hipsters that think there gods gift to the centerpin. When my old hardy or talisman screams it's a blast just like it was waay back in the day and if anyone ever came up to me and told me to turn my clicker off I'd tell them there nothing but a....how would Dion say it ?? "A Well Educated Human Being".

Use the clicker, listen to it scream, that's a sound i never get bored of. I mean they didn't make old reels that growl for nothing, why should it be any different these days, cause a few clowns say it's annoying ?? what a joke that is hahahaha. :o

@ Geff_t, so is a gunshot but I'm not about to give up my rifles and settle on bow hunting only. ;)

I still, like you, love the sound of my clicker while fighting a fish and only turn it on when on certain smaller streams where I know the bears like to hear that sweet sound of the clicker. I don't care what people say when it is on, I just no longer like having a bear meet me on the trail when I am done fishing.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day