Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Haters on the River  (Read 21806 times)

Stickleback

Re: Haters on the River
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »

I am sorry that this has happened to anyone, its a real shame.  Even at my young age, I have come to realize that arrogance, ignorance, and intolerance are all prolific in certain fishing locations across the lower mainland.  I been victim to this only a handful of times, and the best thing to do, I find, is bite your tongue, and walk away.  The lighter criticism is good for a laugh sometimes.  One day last october on the squamish, I was swore at and called a "kid" by another spey fisherman.  I went against the bite my tongue and walk rule because I was genuinely curious as to why this older gentleman was acting like this, so I approached him.  He went about saying that my skagit line was a Gimmick and that I wasn't a real fisherman for using it.  He suggested I buy a long bellied line as I was finally walking away peeing my waders with laughter. ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »

There is only one solution to this situation: make the Vedder fly fishing only with mandatory catch and release.
That will keep those pesky CP-fishing racists away.  ::)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 09:48:30 PM »

There is only one solution to this situation: make the Vedder fly fishing only with mandatory catch and release.
That will keep those pesky CP-fishing racists away.  ::)

As long as it is single handed. ;D
Not all those who wander are lost

yakideath12

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 09:49:26 PM »

;D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »

Ssypark Rod & Nina yous surely did not deserve those "words"

Must of been a long drive back home.

Hateful words cut like a knife & it just takes time to heal from the effects.
 Person feels hurt, angered ,dis appointed on & on...

Sometimes it even gives people that extra feeling to be cautious.
Not to fish in too off beaten trails.

Sorry that yous ( Ssypark Rod & Nina ) had to experience the poison from wagging tongues.
Met Rod & Nina a few times by chance & by their vids etc....ya know they are quality folks with good hearts.
They sure did not need to hear threats. Sad.

But great there is so much posts of support for what is right.
The majority of the people try to do good but it's the ones "minority" that sure can stir things up.

For example a thief in a neighbourhood.
400 homes & nightly break-ins...

So too with some "jokers" with wagging tongues on the river & lakes.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »

As long as it is single handed. ;D

Hey, works for me! I don't even own a double-hander. ;D

hotrod

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 07:42:05 AM »

Sorry to hear that you ran into "haters on the river" . Unfortunately they will always be there. I know that running into them can ruin your whole day and even more than that. The best thing to do is remember that you have good quality friend who aren't "haters on the river".I would suggest that you stand up for yourself but with good judgement on the situation. You just never know who or what these haters can do. Think about it!  .......... You are in the middle of know where and I would sure hate to run into one of these nuts, who is really nuts, and decides to take tougher acts of violence against you while no one is around! I guess I'm saying, you just never know who's out there! They are not worth the breath it takes to talk back. Be careful ,ignore them and remember you have good friends and family on your side. There are a lot of good people out there too. Don't let a few bad ones ruin something that we all love to do.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 08:01:36 AM »

I haven't been out on the Vedder this Fall and am surprised and disappointed that racial slurs are alive and well. Take some comfort in the fact that those who lower themselves to this behaviour are really cowards which results in bullying. You should feel sorry for them as well as their I'Q.'s are approximatelyl the same as  your age.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 10:29:56 AM »

Racism happens to all races on the river including caucasions. I am caucasion and have experienced racism when I was fishing around another race (will not discuss which race as it does no good) as well as for being a redhead (ps us gingers will take a lot until you push too far, then run, the temper is a true redhead trait lol). It happens to a lot of people, I've found it depends on the friendliness of the people you are fishing around, not the race or what they fish with. Some anglers have this believe that they are better than others because of the way they fish, and some believe they own the river. When I approach I always ask for permission, its just commen courtesy but seldom see it used by others (goes a long way with some people). Best thing you can do is be respectful of others, friendly and know your regs, fish etc before you go to the river and always pick up after yourself (including not throwing your cig butts down the river, filters do not break down easily and fish will eat them from time to time). A lot of people get pissed off if you ask about regs or type of fish as it is your responsibility to know before you go to a river, not someone else's responsibility. Personally I know the regs but still carry a set on me in case my memory fails me. There is no excuse for racist comments but if you are yelled at for misidentifying a fish or not knowing your regs, it is your own fault for being yelled at (not the racist comments though). If you feel threatened either leave or call the cops, its not worth your time or effort to fight  a racist as it is unlikely you will change their point of view and may in fact make the person more racist if it becomes heated instead of a logical calm conversation. There are enough places to fish that if you have an issue find another spot. In this day and age you never know what a person will do or what they are carrying on them, as I had a guy I was fishing around that I was talking to and joking with about beaks with only to find out he had a handgun on him to "deal with such people" , and that is why I am a firm believer in being respectful and courteous when approaching other anglers.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »

you need to ask this question ................what did you do to make them spout off ? low-holing ?

I'm not one for racial slurrs , but without hearing what REALLY happened we can only assume they did not like you because of your skin colour.

I'm not trying to defend these guys but...............

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »

you need to ask this question ................what did you do to make them spout off ? low-holing ?

I'm not one for racial slurrs , but without hearing what REALLY happened we can only assume they did not like you because of your skin colour.

I'm not trying to defend these guys but...............

Then please don't.

It does not matter what he did, and as just I said he need not have done anything to receive a racial slur (a racist hates you for just being you, not for the way you fish). 

If he had low holed the racist, he deserved at worst a "Hey! Don't low hole me, you beak!"  He did not deserve a racial slur.

Now Jim, SST, and others have drawn attention to another problem, that of the connection between ignorance and ill tempers.  While the discussion of racism has focused (or tried to focus) on the ignorance of the racist, the latter discussion hinges around the ignorance of the victim of ill tempered anglers (some of whom may also be racists).  Even the most well mannered and even tempered of us get frustrated by ignorant anglers out there.  As others have pointed out, it is the responsibility of the angler to properly educate themselves about the regulations of the water they are fishing (the age old legal philosophy that "ignorance of the law is no excuse") as these laws and regulations are easily found at fishing stores or online wherever you buy your license.  Many anglers simply become incensed when a fellow angler commits a flagrant violation of the regulations, regulations they had the responsibility to know before they wet a line in that water.  Many of these anglers will then, unwisely, choose to educate the offending angler on the spot.  As a teacher, I can tell you that trying to teach a lesson while you are angry at the student is not a very good idea.  No actual learning will take place, but someone will leave feeling "hated." Even more difficult to deal with, is ignorance of etiquette and even local custom.  Even though these are often available to everyone if one knows where to look, they are certainly not as easy to learn as the regulations.  However, many local anglers feel that etiquette and even the local customs should be known and practiced by everyone.  This is not only unreasonable, it is also not possible.  Local customs and etiquette are invariably learned by doing, and are most often (and most effectively) passed from father to son, or from friend to friend.  This means that there are always going to be newcomers (whether they are the same race or not is irrelevant) that do not know the etiquette or the custom and will need to be educated.  This is best done in the manner your father or friend would...with a smile and a gentle guiding hand, not a racially loaded slur.
Not all those who wander are lost

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »

That is reality . Racism is REAL!!!   It exists!!  No matter how much we try to deny it, it is there, no matter where you go.  You just have to deal with it.  Just ignore the ones that are racist because you are a much better person than them.  DON'T lower yourself  to their level.

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 03:25:27 AM »

After reading upon the 3 pages of this topic. I  was so amazed by all the supportive and positive reply's. This forum definitely has created such a great community and I'm so happy to be part of it.

As for what happened, I guess I can explain in bigger detail in what happened:

Incident 1:
 It was around 10:30 and after an unsuccessful month of trying to hook a steelie on the fly I changed to my gear rod and caught my first steelhead! I was so excited and there was so much adrenaline in my veins. My friend and I landed her and I decided to retain this hatchery doe.
After taking a couple photos and taking a breather on a log. I recalled that I wasn't allowed to fish anymore for steelhead! The day just began and my friend didn't hook one. So I was wondering if it was still ok to still fish for cutties or bull trout with my 6wt single hander.

I noticed a centerpinner making his way downstream and I decided to ask him to make sure about fishing my 6wt singe hander.
I went up to him and said "Excuse me, I  was wondering if I -"
Him: "your'e done."
Me: "what?"
Him: "I said your'e done."
Me: "Oh, yea I was just trying to make sure because I just caught my first steelhead. "
Him: "Yea, I saw that, you think I'm f**kin blind?"
Me: "Oh ok, just making sure"
Him: "your'e f**kin done alright?! Next time do your f**kin homework before coming out here."
Me: "okay,"

I walked away in shock as to what just happened and he proceeded to fish. Ended up watching my friend for a bit and left the river.
I just think the hostility wasn't necessary.

Incident 2:

After a long day of fishing for steelhead on the Vedder with my two friends, (both korean) we had nothing on and was about to reach the end of our stretch. Around then, 4 guy start fishing across the river from us. After 20-30 more minutes of fishing we decide to call it a day and head back to the car. after hitting the parking lot entrance at the lick man spot we look across the river and notice one of the guys gets a fish on. As he was fighting a nice buck and noticed that we stopped and was watching him land the fish. He then proceeded to say "Bye Bye~~! You can go home now! Thats Right! haha!" My friend, who was already having a terrible day after falling in the river,lost it and said "f**k you" to the guy and told him to run down the river. The guy then said those racial slurs and then my friend swore back and we walked back to the car.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 03:39:01 AM »

Incident #1, just consider that you were unlucky and ran into one of the few jerks on this planet. I'd like to think most will take the time to explain if other anglers have a question. FYI, you have to stop fishing completely for all species when you retain your daily quota of steelhead. Last year we came across one spey angler who insisted that he could keep fishing after retaining his steelhead. He was furious after being yelled at by other anglers (not us). It's one regulation that I'm sure quite a few anglers are still not aware of and others should do their best to inform them when asked.

Incident #2, not saying it's right, but your friend should not be surprised by the responses after cursing at the other angler. Some anglers see steelheading as a competitive activity and take pleasure when they are able to outfish others. That's fine, a little bit of healthy competition does not hurt. Simply laugh it off and hope for a more productive day next time. Just out of curiosity, when (what date) did this incident happen?

Anyway, I'm not sure why so many people are online at this hour. You should all be in bed so you can be up at first light for the new steelhead fishery at Lafarge Lake. ;)

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 06:29:31 AM »

Hey Rodney correct me if I am wrong but if someone does keep a steel and decides to try for cutties, do they not have to use smaller gear in order to aviod a ticket? I am not sure it is true but I remember hearing something about if you are checked by a CO after catching a steel and you are using incorrect gear (8 wt or 10'6" salmon rod instead of 5 wt or trout rod) when targetting cutties,etc. they have the discretion to fine you? of is that only if you do not have the appropriate tags? I can't steelhead, I'm more curious about the answer than anything plus it would be good for others to know if they plan on doing so.