Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Haters on the River  (Read 21807 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Haters on the River
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 03:07:40 PM »

Maybe you should get a " keep yelling I'm reloading" sticker for the back of your jacket ;)

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »

during steelhead season i get sick and tired of this. During salmon season i stop bothering trying to show people the proper ways to fish as it usually blows up in your face and you get blamed for someone elses mistakes. Honestly it was hardest to get my dad to start using a float it was like pulling teeth gave up a few times but now he uses a float all the time. Im out their to have a good time and will fish with anyone beside me. we are out their to have fun to escape the stresses of the week and maybe catch a few fish.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »

I have the same problem with "Coffee grinder guys" they think they own the river... What was the simple question regarding regulations that you asked?
The Bigger The Better!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 05:01:01 PM »

yoda

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »

Try talking to people when you arrive at a fishing spot.
You will instantly either find out if you have met someone out for a good time,  or one who is squeezing the sawdust out of their rods trying to get a fish.
Unfortunately people make wrong first impressions, based on preconceived ideas. Avoid the later if they don't look like they are going to be any fun to fish around.
That being said, you commited you're own injustice by painting center-pinners as such. I own a center pin but i'll get over it ;D

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 06:08:51 PM »

I have the same problem with "Coffee grinder guys" they think they own the river... What was the simple question regarding regulations that you asked?

I have the same problem with people who think they own a stretch of the river... ;)

A swung fly is the best fly.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 06:29:07 PM »

To be answered with the F word & also a slang name "chink" is really mean.
Sadly if ya answered them back they may of gotten more aggressive verbally & physically.
These types do not sleep well UNLESS they try to wreck another person's day.

Once at a launch a boat came in & guys in the boat were just acting up ,swearing etc...
Ya just got a feeling that they were under an influence of "evil".
Then in full view of senior couples & various aged bystanders they took a piss right off the dock in full view of everyone.

Some know how to act in public & be friendly & others just have a "chip on their shoulder "
Most who are neg are those who make daily evil choses. Drugs,lying,stealing etc...including being nasty when asked a simple friendly question at the Vedder.

Read up on Danny Chen. He went into the USA military to serve his country ,only to be picked on by some fellow soldiers.
Danny either killed himself (Found shot at his guard post but many are saying possibly he was murdered)
 :o.    Imagine how his parents feel. They are heart broken. Their only child. After the army Danny wante to become a NY police officer.

Then we read about Jeromy Lin who is devout believer in God / Harvard graduate who is now a star player on the NY Knicks basketball team who has a great fan following.
One sports writer guy did mention a racial comment in his report & the guy lost his job !!!!!
As it turns out Lin met with the fired reporter & they had a friendly meeting.

Lin just took the approach to forgive the guy.
Mind you the reporter was "sorry for what happened"

A few "whites" here in Richmond who told me they are moving because of too many asian folks.
That is not my view.

Just forgive those guys & just go on & live your life.
If ya keep anger or hurt feelings inside it will only harm you.

The punishment for guys like this is "they have to look at themselves in the mirror every AM"
That must be "painful".  ;D

Good part is maybe they will see the error of their ways & become better people in the future.
We all can change. It is free will & a decision each & every moment of the "present".
Past is gone  & future not here yet.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:46:04 PM by A-BOATER »

cohoaaron

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 06:42:44 PM »

should've called them crackers  :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 06:51:40 PM »

Racial slurs are usually thrown out because of one's appearance, not one's action. Thankfully, in my opinion, it rarely occurs in Canada. I'm basing that on my experience on living both here and in Australia. Vancouver has been a city filled with tolerance, appreciation and understanding, but it's difficult to say how it will be now that its cultural dynamic is shifting quite rapidly.

Ssypark, too bad about your experience. It only takes once to ruin all the trips. My suggestions are similar to Tex's. If it is indeed something that you have done, then simply apologize and move on. If it is a case of you being stereotyped, just ignore the remarks and move on. Those who think that way will have a hard time to be convinced anyway due to a lack of empathy. The ones who try to make others feel bad are usually unhappy and will remain so unless they change. I take comfort that 99.9% of the population accept and respect everyone around them while the 0.01% will never have the opportunity to enjoy pho, dim sum and sushi. Trying to confront and escalate the situation will never end well for both parties. The quality of your trip (or just life in general) is always determined by your judgement and the decisions that you make. The ones who choose to look for trouble will always wonder why they seem to end up in unlucky situations all the time.

People should also not stereotype others based on the way they fish. An angler with a centerpin or spey outfit should not look down on others. An angler starting out with a spinning outfit should be aware of his or her action to avoid disturbance of other anglers. Everyone has to start from somewhere and in a fishery that is accessible by anyone with a licence, people should expect to encounter anglers at all skill levels and act accordingly to avoid confrontation. Experienced anglers should also not give youngsters a hard time for the same mistakes that you probably also made many years ago. Use your wisdom to nurture them instead of bullying them. A few members on this forum can use this advice.

Nina and I had probably the most unpleasant experience a couple of days ago while fishing on the Vedder. To sum up the story in short, I was verbally threatened with bodily harm because of my website while we were getting ready to leave. While the words were hateful and threatening, they were spoken awkwardly and quietly far away from us as if they were being recited from memory. After all, unless an individual has no problem with committing crime, one has to not be himself to get them out of the mouth.

I can understand that a percentage of anglers will always think this website has generated significant amount of fishing pressure for the Fraser Valley. That depends on whether or not you consider other factors such as the population growth of Metro Vancouver in the last decade. The issue is up for debate, which I always welcome and will be happy to address my opinion while listening to yours if you wish to see things run differently. The way I see it, angling pressure increase is directly correlated to Metro Vancouver's growth and the reduction in fishing opportunities due to government cutbacks. People will go fishing regardless and we are here to provide an educational resource and community, which otherwise would not exist, for those who don't know how to get started. Some feel specific "secret" spots have become more vulnerable due to this progress and those concerns are certainly valid. To hate me for what I do to the point that you wish to harm me and my family, it might be time to re-evaluate why you go fishing.

On that note, the first Chilliwack River cleanup of the year is on Saturday April 14th at the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve. If you wish to make Chilliwack River a more positive environment, come on out and join us (you can even catch a steelhead or two before and after the cleanup). This is a multicultural event because you'll find at least one old Caucasian guy with a Maple Leaf hat and a small Asian guy running it. ;)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 07:41:51 PM »

I agree with Rod (and therefore disagree with the good pirate) that the source of racial slurs does not have to be, and frequently is not, because the victim was doing something wrong.  A racist does not need a reason for shouting slurs, and someone upset at another person's action is not going to respond with slurs unless they are already harbouring racist feeling toward the other person (and therefore are just waiting for an opportunity to let it fly).  For the pirate to suggest that Ssypark must have done something wrong to warrant the outpouring of slurs is simply ignorant in and of itself.  That is like saying a woman who is raped by her date must have lead her attacker on.  A racist needs no "inciting incident" to start a conflict.  Their own hatred is more than enough.

I would like to clarify that the intent of my post was not to encourage "starting a fight" or "being racist in turn", but ...

Well, whether you intended to "encourage 'starting a fight' or 'being racist in turn,'" or not, that was exactly what you did when you suggested to Ssypark, "Throw back your own four letter words and slurs to let him know you are upset."  As Rod said, someone who shouts a racial slur (so everyone can hear) is so far beyond the realm of being a "reasonable" person, that any attempt to engage them is going to degenerate into violence quickly.  While I am sure such a person deserves some "rough justice,"  I would not suggest any one dispense that rough justice on the river.  The best response to that is always to "turn the other cheek" and you do not need to be a Christian to appreciate the wisdom of that advice.  No good would come from responding to such an unreasonable provocation.

...Furthermore, by hurling his own racial slurs, Ssypark himself would be committing the same hate crime that you suggest he could then charge the other guy with if he was attacked.  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:43:50 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

gmachine19

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »

I'm used to being around beaks in the river. Just ignore them, you didn't wake up that day just to impress them.
You should've been here yesterday!

Silex-user

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 08:01:30 PM »

Life is too short, avoid the confrontation and just  go enjoy fishing trip. ;)

Silex-user

Joey

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »

Hey all,

I'd like to first introduce myself. I am a Korean-Canadian angler and I have been fishing in the Lower Mainland ever since I was 5 years old. The last two times I've been at the Vedder River, I've experienced hatred/racism by other caucasian anglers (why is it always center-pinners?). I've been called a "f***in ch*nk" once and was told to "do my f***in homework" at another incident when I asked a simple question about regulations to an angler nearby. I understand a lot of you have seen or experienced asian anglers at the river that have ZERO respect for the water as well as the regulations. But I would appreciate it if some of you would not have such ignorant minds and make such quick judgements. It doesn't hurt to be helpful or be critical in a positive way. I am posting this to bring awareness to this cause. I feel that many other anglers (not only asian) would appreciate your advice, and your respect as we all are out there to enjoy the same sport.

Thanks for your time.

I had noticed this only happened when they are in a group.The next time around I will  stand my ground  and this is why we come in a big group.This also happened in Ontario........don't understand why they behave that way.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 08:43:47 PM »

Welcome to the real world, It is always like that no matter where you go, but just don't let them get to you.

bigrig

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 08:49:06 PM »

I wish I was with you when you these lowlife's said those racial slurs to you! >:(
Ignorance,not Centrepining or anything else! Their ignorance is not tolerated within 99.9% of the general population,so lets not stand for this crap on the river or in your own backyard!