Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Haters on the River  (Read 21805 times)

Ssypark

• addicted
Haters on the River
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:33:19 AM »

Hey all,

I'd like to first introduce myself. I am a Korean-Canadian angler and I have been fishing in the Lower Mainland ever since I was 5 years old. The last two times I've been at the Vedder River, I've experienced hatred/racism by other caucasian anglers (why is it always center-pinners?). I've been called a "f***in ch*nk" once and was told to "do my f***in homework" at another incident when I asked a simple question about regulations to an angler nearby. I understand a lot of you have seen or experienced asian anglers at the river that have ZERO respect for the water as well as the regulations. But I would appreciate it if some of you would not have such ignorant minds and make such quick judgements. It doesn't hurt to be helpful or be critical in a positive way. I am posting this to bring awareness to this cause. I feel that many other anglers (not only asian) would appreciate your advice, and your respect as we all are out there to enjoy the same sport.

Thanks for your time.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Haters on the River
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:50:40 AM »

It's plain ignorance plain and simple. Lack of respect for our natural resources is not restricted to one ethnic group. I've seen Caucasians, Asians, Aboriginals, eastern Europeans etc not abiding by the regulations. Heck I've even experienced fishermen yanking their lines when they think nobody is looking.

Animal Chin

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 01:36:04 AM »

I guess I just have selective memory. All the fisherfolks I've come across while fishing my first year in BC and Washington have been friendly and helpful. No doubt there are douches out there, and maybe I've come across them, but I'd just as soon try to to forget it ever happened so as not to taint my experience in the future.

One thing I've learned is that people think the way to they want to think, see what they want to see and it's not worth the energy or my job to change that.

Just catch more fish than them.... and bear spray doesn't just work on bears... just kidding  :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:38:56 AM by Animal Chin »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »

Ssypark welcome to earth !

It is full of people that will choose to either love or do evil.

Victims as I post.
Little children taken as sex slaves in various parts of the world, that lady who had acid thrown in her face ,took her life yesterday , innocent children & women killed in Syria the list is endless of what people think "SAY"  & do to others.

As for any race of people ,we are EQUAL in worth.

But people of every race have a choice "love or hate"
People that do evil actually "do not even love themselves " so no wonder they cannot love others.

You can only control how you act.
Be wisely friend because "some" will act friendly but who are really evil....they are trying to set ya up to take advantage of ya in some way.
Surround yourself with true friends.
You have worth equal to anyone so do not allow idiots pull ya down.
Define yourself. :)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 07:21:54 AM »

Ssypark - I can't speak for other people, but if you ever see me on the river, come say hi and ask all the questions you want! (I'll probably ask YOU more questions than you would me! LOL)... as for the jerks out there - consider the source and feel sorry for them - it must suck living in their world!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 07:52:40 AM »

It's definately those dang "Centerpinners", they are a scourge of ther river  :o.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 08:39:18 AM »

sorry to hear that, ive watched alot of anglers be very racist to other people  just because people asume alot of the time that your from the city or that you aren't going to follow the rules witch is ridiculous. Thoes type of people need to go back to school and learn respect for all anglers.. and all people for who they are not what they look like.

I hope you keep your spirits up because there are some nice anglers out there.
Any time i see an angler be ignorant I try to stick my neck out and settle the peace as non violently as posible.... not always lucky.
There will be a day where ignorance is a thing of the past on our shores as long as we look at eachother as anglers alike.

I hope you have a better visit to the vedder river the next time you go. If you ever wanted to fish with someone respectful you could always send me a PM. always could use some company chasing that steel.
tight lines
Tight lines to all

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 09:10:18 AM »

Salmon pirate the voice of reason!
Ya maybe didn't deserve the racial slurs but ya must of done Something to draw the attention
My 2 cents

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 11:14:17 AM »

Hey all,

I'd like to first introduce myself. I am a Korean-Canadian angler and I have been fishing in the Lower Mainland ever since I was 5 years old. The last two times I've been at the Vedder River, I've experienced hatred/racism by other caucasian anglers (why is it always center-pinners?). I've been called a "f***in ch*nk" once and was told to "do my f***in homework" at another incident when I asked a simple question about regulations to an angler nearby. I understand a lot of you have seen or experienced asian anglers at the river that have ZERO respect for the water as well as the regulations. But I would appreciate it if some of you would not have such ignorant minds and make such quick judgements. It doesn't hurt to be helpful or be critical in a positive way. I am posting this to bring awareness to this cause. I feel that many other anglers (not only asian) would appreciate your advice, and your respect as we all are out there to enjoy the same sport.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

I would advise that if some white racist throws racial slurs and four letter words at you don't let it pass.
Let him know you are upset.
Too often Asians shy away from confrontation and makes them easy targets for racist bullies on the river.
If the racist bully becomes pissed off and beats you up, you can always press charges under our hate crime laws.
Last I checked, 42% of Greater Vancouver Area population is visible minorities and there is no place for this kind of bull**** in the lower mainland at least.
Also, check up on your river etiquette.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:33:54 PM by bigblue »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 11:22:28 AM »

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

I would advise that if some white racist throws racial slurs and four letter words at you don't let it pass.
Throw back your own four letter words and slurs to let him know you are upset.
Too often Asians shy away from confrontation and makes them easy targets for racist bullies on the river.
If the racist bully becomes pissed off and beats you up, you can always press charges under our hate crime laws.

Really?  This is your advice?  I really hope you're being sarcastic!  LOL

I'm all for standing up for yourself, but the method recommended above is NOT the way to go about it, IMO.  Swear back at them?  Be racist in return?  Sounds like a great way to escalate a situation rather than resolve it. 

Use your own best judgement in these cases.  Maybe you brought on some of the confrontations yourself, maybe you were innocent in the whole thing, I'm not going to be the judge or jury on that as i wasn't there.  At the end of the day, make sure you can look at yourself in the mirror and be comfortable with the decisions you made, and that's all that matters, as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck out there.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 11:29:29 AM »

Really?  This is your advice?  I really hope you're being sarcastic!  LOL

I'm all for standing up for yourself, but the method recommended above is NOT the way to go about it, IMO. 

So what is your recommendation then?

Robert_G

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »

How about some age old wisdom....

2 wrongs don't make a right.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »

It certainly isn't dropping immediately to their level by being racist in return or trying to start a fight.

If someone came at me with racial slurs or anger, I would:

1) consider the circumstances... did I do something stupid to ignite their anger somehow?  If yes, then maybe I should back off.  If not, then move on to #2...
2) take stock of the situation... is confronting them an immeidately dangerous thing to do?  If yes, then maybe I should back off.  If not, then move on to #3...
3) confront them with a level head... showing them you're angry is ok.  being aggressive is not.  After that, it's up to you.

I personally wouldn't start slinging slurs back at them, that's a quick way to start a fight, and that rarely ends well.  I'm all for defending yourself (by force, if necessary), but I avoid that stage if possible.  

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »

It certainly isn't dropping immediately to their level by being racist in return or trying to start a fight.

If someone came at me with racial slurs or anger, I would:

1) consider the circumstances... did I do something stupid to ignite their anger somehow?  If yes, then maybe I should back off.  If not, then move on to #2...
2) take stock of the situation... is confronting them an immeidately dangerous thing to do?  If yes, then maybe I should back off.  If not, then move on to #3...
3) confront them with a level head... showing them you're angry is ok.  being aggressive is not.  After that, it's up to you.

I personally wouldn't start slinging slurs back at them, that's a quick way to start a fight, and that rarely ends well.  I'm all for defending yourself (by force, if necessary), but I avoid that stage if possible.  

Good advice Tex.

I would like to clarify that the intent of my post was not to encourage "starting a fight" or "being racist in turn", but that in this country a visible minority person does not have to endure racial slurs and insults in silence any more.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »

Good advice Tex.

I would like to clarify that the intent of my post was not to encourage "starting a fight" or "being racist in turn", but that in this country a visible minority person does not have to endure racial slurs and insults in silence any more.

On that point we can certainly agree!  :)