Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spey Fisherman Keeps Dead Hatchery Steelhead He Finds?  (Read 22307 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Spey Fisherman Keeps Dead Hatchery Steelhead He Finds?
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2012, 11:18:24 PM »

i bet any money the same guy is reading this thread now and has his valid way of why he did what he did,but scared to post anything about it,couse he would get viloated by everyone even more than what he is getting already lol ;D ;D ;D

The only "valid" reason for doing what he did was that he wanted fertilizer for his tomato plants and it was cheaper than buying it (still not legal though).
Not all those who wander are lost

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »

i'm not judging the guy for what he did, nor am i condemning him...the last thing i want to come across as is being holier than thou...my own response was specifically towards the question of legality (that was put on the table).

maybe the guy was short on cash and needed to put food on the table or maybe he felt the steelhead was going to waste...who knows? but a question is still a question, so if someone decides to participate and answer, why can't they without being labelled as a wannabe CO or lawyer? seriously?  ???

i like to pick and choose my battles...if you really want to get into the bigger scheme of things and have a real hands on experience,  join some of the organizations i participated/supported/actively registered to like SRWS, David Suzuki Foundation, and Amnesty International... then lets talk about triviality.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2012, 07:38:23 AM »

A lot of energy being spent debating the fate of a dead Vedder hatchery steelhead.  How about type a letter to Christy outlining why it just might be a bad idea to allow Enbridge to put a pipe oil along geologically unstable, slide prone slopes of the Kitimat range through Skeena watershed, one of the largest un-dammed watersheds in North American (home of the largest population of wild steelhead in the world ), then put it on super tankers and have them navigate one of BC's most treacherous pieces of water.  Or maybe send a letter explaining that  diverting summer run steelhead streams like the Kokish to run an IPP doesn't constitute clean energy and sets a precedent that no stream is off limits for development despite having a population of salmon and steelhead that is well documented to inhabit the stretch of river being diverted.

http://www.steelheadsociety.org/news/enbridge-northern-gateway-pipeline-brief

http://www.steelheadsociety.org/news/kokish-letters-needed-now

I don't mean to harp on about environmental issues as I have been lately, just there are some big issues coming up that WILL impact steelhead.  Obviously if you're reading page 5? of this thread, you have some interest in steelhead.  Do something about it.  Write a letter, make your voice heard.  Forget about someone taking home a dead fish, that's weird but otherwise pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
Well said Sir.