Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spey Fisherman Keeps Dead Hatchery Steelhead He Finds?  (Read 22387 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Spey Fisherman Keeps Dead Hatchery Steelhead He Finds?
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2012, 09:41:54 PM »

He should have grabbed his leader as close to the hook as possible, then hooked the fish in the mouth, and landed it.

No...he should have left it alone and carried on fishing.  Who picks up dead fish out of the river to take home any way?  How desperate do you have to be to do that?  While I usually release the fish I catch, especially steelhead, I have never begrudge anyone for bonking a hatchery fish... but this is beyond comprehension, even if it was legal (which it clearly was not).This is a meat head with a spey rod (practically an oxymoron).
Not all those who wander are lost

azafai

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »

I am not sure about oxymoron but you can find morons in any groups.  Neither spey nor gear guys can be excluded nor anyone of them are any better than the other.   I think enough is said already.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2012, 10:31:55 PM »

What started off as a unusual observation is now getting disected to death by wannabe C.O officers. Much prefer the humourous posts on this thread. ::)

Read Trout Slayer's last sentence because you seem kinda lost.

Witnessed somthing unusuall on the Vedder today, a guy waded out spey fishing notices somthing white sitting in the bottom of the river goes out to it and pulls out a dead 12lbs hatchery doe sitting in the bottom of the river. He pulls it out and says he is going to keep it, marks it on his license and calls it a day while his buddy keeps casting away. What are your thoughts on this???

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2012, 10:51:45 PM »

This discussion board is exactly what it is....a discussion. Don't complain about people's lack of etiquette or lack of knowledge and poor antics on the river when you turn around and bitch about guys posting information relevant to the issue....You know who you are.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:00:39 PM by blaydRnr »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »

This discussion board is exactly what it is....a discussion. Don't complain about people's lack of etiquette or lack of knowledge and poor antics on the river when you turn around and bitch about guys posting information relevant to the issue....You know who you are.

haha you definitely hit the nail on the head with this one

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2012, 12:41:31 AM »

A lot of energy being spent debating the fate of a dead Vedder hatchery steelhead.  How about type a letter to Christy outlining why it just might be a bad idea to allow Enbridge to put a pipe oil along geologically unstable, slide prone slopes of the Kitimat range through Skeena watershed, one of the largest un-dammed watersheds in North American (home of the largest population of wild steelhead in the world ), then put it on super tankers and have them navigate one of BC's most treacherous pieces of water.  Or maybe send a letter explaining that  diverting summer run steelhead streams like the Kokish to run an IPP doesn't constitute clean energy and sets a precedent that no stream is off limits for development despite having a population of salmon and steelhead that is well documented to inhabit the stretch of river being diverted.

http://www.steelheadsociety.org/news/enbridge-northern-gateway-pipeline-brief

http://www.steelheadsociety.org/news/kokish-letters-needed-now

I don't mean to harp on about environmental issues as I have been lately, just there are some big issues coming up that WILL impact steelhead.  Obviously if you're reading page 5? of this thread, you have some interest in steelhead.  Do something about it.  Write a letter, make your voice heard.  Forget about someone taking home a dead fish, that's weird but otherwise pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2012, 07:29:58 AM »

Bravo, Matt.
Thanks for saying it like it is.

Unfortunately, composing and sending a letter to the authorities is beyond the intellectual abilities of some - who are otherwise very loud when it comes to menial subjects.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2012, 08:12:06 AM »

Almost sounds like you need a law degree before you can go out fishing.

Pretty much. The majority of serious fishermen also have a serious case of jailhouse lawyer syndrome.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »

a simple question of legality came up and it needed to be addressed...we're not talking about principle or ethics here or the need of the 'bigger picture'...in the past many new fishermen posted how they loved coming to this site because of what they had learned about fishing and the rules and regulations.

*i decided to delete some of my original post which included my active participation/memberships in organizations ...i refuse to get drawn into a battle of integrity.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:51:47 PM by blaydRnr »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2012, 12:27:52 PM »

A dead fish will go into rigor in the first 20 to 45 minutes. Then within 12  to 24 hours it will go out of rigor.  If the fishes gills were red and the water was cool then I do not see a food safe issue.

Most of what I can find from vetrinary studies on line states clearly the onset of rigor, the length of time for it to complete etc depends on a variety of factors including temperature (rigor is slower at low temperatures) and the extent of stress the fish has experienced prior to death. Dying following an encounter with an angler isn't particularly high on the scale of stressful activities measured in such studies. Rigor is usually a matter of hours and not minutes from what I could find. You make very good points about the conditions of the gills etc as well in my expereinces dead fish that have been in the water for a few hours or more will go very pale in colour. The point is it's not hard to tell how long a fish has been dead in relative terms.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »

50+ posts, most simply condemning some guy (who admittedly made a curious decision) over and over, is a lot of words that I feel are ultimately wasted on what is a triviality.  Going sloppy seconds on dead hatchery steelhead hasn't traditionally been the the most significant shady practice committed on the Vedder, nor is about to emerge as common practice from the sounds of it.  Make a practice of not eating dead stuff you find on the ground, leave the topic alone and do something productive instead.

Bravo, Matt.
Thanks for saying it like it is.

Unfortunately, composing and sending a letter to the authorities is beyond the intellectual abilities of some - who are otherwise very loud when it comes to menial subjects.

I should add that I'm happy to pass along my working drafts of letters I've written both on the Northern Gateway pipeline and the Kokish if anyone is feeling lazy and just wants to edit it to make them their own.  They are already addressed, all that needs to be done is edit, sign, mail.  Anyone who is interested, post an email address and I will send you my working draft.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:55:52 PM by Matt »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2012, 07:55:43 PM »

I am not sure about oxymoron but you can find morons in any groups.  Neither spey nor gear guys can be excluded nor anyone of them are any better than the other.   I think enough is said already.

Absolutely, but a meat head (a fisherman whose primary objective is meat for the freezer) would not normally choose a spey rod as his tool of choice.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2012, 08:07:51 PM »

A lot of energy being spent debating the fate of a dead Vedder hatchery steelhead.  How about type a letter to Christy outlining why it just might be a bad idea to allow Enbridge to put a pipe oil along geologically unstable, slide prone slopes of the Kitimat range through Skeena watershed, one of the largest un-dammed watersheds in North American (home of the largest population of wild steelhead in the world ), then put it on super tankers and have them navigate one of BC's most treacherous pieces of water.  

Did that already.

Or maybe send a letter explaining that  diverting summer run steelhead streams like the Kokish to run an IPP doesn't constitute clean energy and sets a precedent that no stream is off limits for development despite having a population of salmon and steelhead that is well documented to inhabit the stretch of river being diverted.

Did that too.

I don't mean to harp on about environmental issues as I have been lately, just there are some big issues coming up that WILL impact steelhead.  Obviously if you're reading page 5? of this thread, you have some interest in steelhead.  Do something about it.  Write a letter, make your voice heard.  Forget about someone taking home a dead fish, that's weird but otherwise pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I love that you want to turn people's obvious energies to other more useful pursuits, and an idea of a form letter would be good if you are really interested in increasing numbers of respondents.

50+ posts, most simply condemning some guy (who admittedly made a curious decision) over and over, is a lot of words that I feel are ultimately wasted on what is a triviality.  Going sloppy seconds on dead hatchery steelhead hasn't traditionally been the the most significant shady practice committed on the Vedder, nor is about to emerge as common practice from the sounds of it.  Make a practice of not eating dead stuff you find on the ground, leave the topic alone and do something productive instead.

Really, no one is saying this ranks high on the "shady practices" meter.  Most are simply responding to the question "what are your thoughts on this?" and responding from gut reactions (eww) to legal reactions (you know that really was not even legal?).  If the topic does not interest you, you can always find another.  There are a couple of active ones on the board right now.  No need to judge people's choice of topic.  Some of us just need an excuse not to do homework.

azafai

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »

Absolutely, but a meat head (a fisherman whose primary objective is meat for the freezer) would not normally choose a spey rod as his tool of choice.

you got that right Sir.  :)

ribolovac02

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2012, 10:18:57 PM »

the guy probably made a bet with his buddy that he will catch a stealhead on his first outing to the vedder with a flyrod,saw the opurtunity to win and took it lol ;D ;D ;D

I stumbled accros a few  dead stealhead last year,one of which was dying at the moment that  we saw it,the seagul had already had taken a shot at its heart but the fish was still giving the few last kicks,my buddy and I observed the fish tried to figure out what happened and than tossed the fish into the river to let nature take its course couse it just dint feel right keeping it...

I highly dout that a meat fisherman would choose a spey rod to catch his share off meat,and i bet any money the same guy is reading this thread now and has his valid way of why he did what he did,but scared to post anything about it,couse he would get viloated by everyone even more than what he is getting already lol ;D ;D ;D