Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old school nicomekl river fishing  (Read 21984 times)

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
Re: Old school nicomekl river fishing
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 09:04:21 PM »

I too fished the nick as a child. We'd catch the odd cuttie and occasionally would spot salmon cruising upstream in the fall. I went back a couple years ago and caught three of four small cutts.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 09:29:10 PM »

I remember fishing near the bridge off Hwy 99 as a kid with my dad. Don't recall catching anything other than bullheads but good times nevertheless.

WEEFISH

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 10:15:13 PM »

;) Good ole Monty!!
<"((((><

samw

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 02:30:02 AM »

Brown bullhead (Ameiurus nebulosus), a small invasive species of catfish in BC.

At least it is a tasty fish.  I didn't believe it until I actually tried it after I caught one at Rollley Lake and read that they taste good and are farmed as a food fish.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 07:21:55 PM »

caught my first river salmon ....a  7lb coho out of the nick. just a float a single hook and a gob of dog roe.....some jacks and tons of bullhead. lots of fun about 10 years ago from the dyke all the way to the 184th street bridge.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 06:49:09 AM »

so how good were the stocks of salmon in the nickomekl and its tributary's in the past? i have to say the nickomekl enhancement society has done great things for that small stream... taking the youngsters to see the spawning salmon in the fall is something  that most people cant do in less than a five minute walk...ive heard theres a small run of steel head that is this true?
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 07:27:10 AM »

tight-lined sup bro havnt seen you for a while remember we fished together at a certain unnamed stream?Hows it been?
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 10:21:52 AM »

My fishing on the Nic goes back to the early 60s. I think my Dad first took me there when I was 5 - so that would be about '61 but I started to do a lot of it there about '64. There were a lot more coho and cutts then and it was productive into the 70s though there certainly were lean years. When it was good the river was crowded! I stopped fishing it in the early 80's - it was pretty grim by that time and the water conditions were mostly bad. However I started going back 8 or 9 years ago and go back a day or two every fall. No where close to what it was but it can be worthwhile. At least the water is better (clearer most of the time, people keep cattle out of the tribs now) All the coho and jacks I have caught have adipose fins except one - so I am not sure how many fish return due to the hatchery. Cutts are all wild (though there was some stocking in the 70s and 80s). It proves we can have some decent wild stocks in suburban areas with just a little bit of work and care. Chum and springs are introduced (chum stocks were extrapated early in the 20th century). Given the wild stocks I hate to see still fishing with bait going on - but I don't make the regs and don't blame folks who fish that way. Spinning with light tackle is great and it can be fished with a fly if you can cope with the high grass, banks and black berries. I also fished the Serp back in the 60s and 70s but never since the hatchery has come in. The water is always a mess whenever I drive by. Used to live on a trib of Bear Creek and remember seeing steelhead in the spring. King Creek which skirts Bear Creek Park used to plug full of coho in November and almost every little rill in that neighborhood had salmon spawning in late fall. Crapppy residential and road construction has all but whipped that out. There are resident cutts in the Bear Creek system that can approach a lb or so. BTW it has been closed below 152nd street since at least the early 70s so other than a short sectio from there to the Serp there is no fishing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 07:09:04 AM »

tight-lined sup bro havnt seen you for a while remember we fished together at a certain unnamed stream?Hows it been?

yes i remember like it was last week or so...was a good time to bad we didnt land that fish eh  round two?

camtheman

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »

no streams like that for me
my dad would take us to weaver lake chiliwack lake in the spring and fall and my grandparents house in eagle bay on shuswap lake
great places they are/were too

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 08:30:11 AM »

The Nic  at 176 east toward langley was my play ground, way back when. Fished Coho and Cutts. Jump shot Mallards and Pheasents. Somedays would come home with a fish,a bird and a bucket of Blackberrys. Waters the eye to think about it.
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 02:38:39 AM »

are the rumours true about the small runs of steelhead?

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 03:59:06 AM »

anytime i been thinkin bout goin out bushwackin on a system or 2.Let me know if you want in.
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

yamadirt 426

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 09:04:55 AM »

anytime i been thinkin bout goin out bushwackin on a system or 2.Let me know if you want in.

I want to bushwack so streams too.  ;) Tight lines I beleive you are correct about the steelys. 1 guy told me its the only non hatch steel river left around here.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 06:51:40 AM »

as a child growning up in penticton, many fond memories of a small red and white float disappearing as soon as it hit the water.   i can only wonder if those brookies still like grasshoppers? lol...