Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old school nicomekl river fishing  (Read 21985 times)

jhall123

Old school nicomekl river fishing
« on: January 14, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »

I was watching you tube today and the nicomekl river came to mind.When i was between 8 and 11 years old i lived in langley.My father had a business there and we{mike,fred,etc}used to fish the river.When we "discovered"the river,we thought it was paradise,so that's what we called it.We fished that river alot.we caught our share of trout and bullheads.The only big fish that i saw caught were 2 ten pound dolly varden caught by mike and bernie.The only other time i saw big fish was early one spring morning,a bunch of red,big fish surfaced.At the time i thought they were salmon.I fished that river so much,i failed the 6th grade!I am now 41 years old and miss that river alot.I sure hope someone out there is having as much fun fishing it as i did when i was young.You all have a great day!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Old school nicomekl river fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 05:57:56 PM »

Thanks for this. We that fished at an early age will have similar stories about fishing our "home rivers". I made a trek a few years back to mine and it made me feel young again. ;D

WEEFISH

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »

;D I remember fishing there as a kid too...I caught a pink salmon I think...maybe some coho too.  I believe it is still fishable , especially by the mouth. I just haven't tried since the 80's.
<"((((><

purple monster

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 07:55:52 PM »

yeah, that's right. No more fishing there either. 
Saw one in the water, years back.

colin6101

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:08:05 PM »

The river is definately still fishable and does support a run of salmon now thanks to the hard work by the Nicomekl Hatchery. Here's a link to their website : http://www.nicomeklhatchery.com. Some pretty impressive fish make it up that river nowadays. I remember reading an article in the langley paper last year about a 50 pound spring being found in the river!

Marko

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »

Oh ya ! Try one of those puppies on a small spin caster..... :o

;D  Marko

marbles

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »

I use to fish there when I was kid aswell,also the serpentine...I caught lots of catfish out of there it was ton of fun,theres fresh water clams stuck in the banks,kind of neat but from edible

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 10:43:50 AM »

Catfish in the nick? are you talking about bullhead? Ive been dreaming about going catfishin since i moved here 4 years ago.LOL i got the bug now time to google up some info ;D
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 10:58:33 AM »

Brown bullhead (Ameiurus nebulosus), a small invasive species of catfish in BC.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 04:49:05 PM »

I also loved fishing the rivers in Langley Surrey and Whitr Rock.
Was simple times back then .
As long as i had a good supply of dew worms i was good to go.
Had many fun and productive days wondering the banks of them ditches.
I think i am going to do what Chris did and go for a tour of them rivers one day next fall and fish them old school with a hook and dewie. ;D
Ahh the good ol days.......

marbles

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 01:26:36 PM »

Catfish in the nick? are you talking about bullhead? Ive been dreaming about going catfishin since i moved here 4 years ago.LOL i got the bug now time to google up some info ;D
actually the serpentine had catfish

marbles

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »

I also loved fishing the rivers in Langley Surrey and Whitr Rock.
Was simple times back then .
As long as i had a good supply of dew worms i was good to go.
Had many fun and productive days wondering the banks of them ditches.
I think i am going to do what Chris did and go for a tour of them rivers one day next fall and fish them old school with a hook and dewie. ;D
Ahh the good ol days.......
I agree the god old days we use to ctach trout in bear creek all the time we would follow it up across 140 st up to the golf course it was great ::)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »

I agree the god old days we use to ctach trout in bear creek all the time we would follow it up across 140 st up to the golf course it was great ::)

I lived across the street from Bear Creek growing up, my dad still owns the house we grew up in. We fished it all the time. Their were actually some nice sized trout in there at that time. I mean 2-3lb fish were not uncommon. We would just use dew worms sitting on the bottom. I dont think we ever got skunked. Lots of crayfish as well.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

marbles

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 06:37:37 PM »

I lived across the street from Bear Creek growing up, my dad still owns the house we grew up in. We fished it all the time. Their were actually some nice sized trout in there at that time. I mean 2-3lb fish were not uncommon. We would just use dew worms sitting on the bottom. I dont think we ever got skunked. Lots of crayfish as well.
your right it was great back then they stil have a nice chum return in that creek same with hyland in newton I caught some kids smashing them with rocks a few years back

the carp

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 07:42:17 PM »

I remember fishing the creeks in coquitlam in the 60's schoolhouse rd. and the creek at the bottom of dawes hill, had tons of nice trout and coho in the fall. used to pack a lunch and hike and fish the creek all the way up to montgomery school then mom would pick me up at suppertime, life was so simple then.