Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Serpentine river  (Read 22259 times)

drock31

Serpentine river
« on: August 16, 2009, 10:21:48 AM »

Anyone here ever fish the serpentine river? What kind of fish are available and does it get any runs of salmon. I just moved and the river is now just a short walk across the blueberry field so I was thinking of heading down after work
Thanks

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
Re: Serpentine river
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »

it gets a good run of coho, fun to C&R at the flood gates on king george hwy. Colorado blades  ;)

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »

it gets a good run of coho, fun to C&R at the flood gates on king george hwy. Colorado blades  ;)

only the home made ones work tho right? ;)

yamadirt 426

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 10:56:54 AM »

I c&r cuttys there quite often only because its close. I wouldn't say it gets a good run of coho but they are there. Some people hate to talk about these systems because they are small and fragile but I think its good to talk about how sensitive they are. Its a good place to spend a few hours. Just take care of it. I think you are suppose to be 100yds or something like that away from the flood gates. I could be wrong but you should look into this. Note I just check the regs and did not see this but for some reason I thought this was an issue. Maybe there was a sign there or something. Or I'm just nuts.  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 11:15:43 AM by yamadirt 426 »

gman

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 01:10:19 PM »

Yes you are right Yandirt. There is a sign saying you cannot fish too close to the flood gates. I think it is a general rule somewhere at the top of the regulations saying something about not fishing withing a certain distance of dams/flood gates etc. Still see people ignoring the rule and fishing there though. If there is a dry fall you will see salmon jumping in that lower stretch in September/October. I believe there are some coho, as well as springs and chums. I tred the lower river a few times a few years ago but never managed to catch one though they were jumping all around me. I haven't tried since since its easier to drive to the valley rivers, but every time I drive across the river on Highway 99 in the fall I look down to seeif I Spot jumping salmon! :)

drock31

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 02:06:02 PM »

I live above the flood gates in the flats where it crosses 64th. I have also heard there might be carp in that section

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 04:14:50 PM »

only the home made ones work tho right? ;)

;D that and no float

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 05:28:08 PM »

I live above the flood gates in the flats where it crosses 64th. I have also heard there might be carp in that section
Never seen a carp in any of the three rivers in surrey. They are fragile rivers but produce fish you just have to put your time in. I can catch  2-3 coho in a outing in the little campbell but I also fish the river every weekend. Quite a few sea run cutty's but you have to find them. I have seen many angles come and give it a try, get skunked and never come back. Perserverence is the key and talking to the locals. Some may not give you much info but you can learn by watching them. Good Luck and practice some c+r.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 06:59:35 PM »

I was able to hook into a few cuttys in the fall last year on #2 to #4 spinners

If you use a small hook and a bit of work the sun fish can't stay away BUT if you go too early in the year then you may get into schools of juvenile salmon and I don't think that they have a very good survival rate because the swallow the hook so deep.

drock31

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »

Thanks for all the help. I will be sure to practice  c&r

SMo007

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 09:58:51 AM »

Where are you accessing the river? I don't want to hijack your message so I'll send you an email.

Cheers
Stephen