Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone know of any crab spots off shore in the Vancouver/Richmond area?  (Read 22122 times)

Joe the Soccer Coach

Hello Everyone,

I've found a few places in Vancouver area (sorry, METRO VANCOUVER) such as the government docks at Belcarra and Indian Arm and the dock at Jericho, but I'm finding that all I'm catching are red rock crabs.  Although red rock crabs are fun to catch, and abundant, their size (at least 4.5 inches) results in a lot less meat than a dungeoness. 

Anyone know of other docks to try out in METRO VANCOUVER (or Richmond)?  Has anyone ever caught crabs off of London's Landing or near the dock off of (I think it's) No. 6 road?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Anyone know of any crab spots off shore in the Vancouver/Richmond area?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:36:46 PM »

Most of the docks around GVRD are frequented by crabbers ALOT.  Catching legal size dungeness crab is not easy.  However, if you wait till Oct and Nov. you'll have better chance.  Jericho and Ambleside is still your best bet.

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 07:19:49 PM »

at londons landing i caught a crab while fishing with my rod and a worm :D, it was weird but funny, i dont think it was dungeness
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 07:22:59 PM »

at londons landing i caught a crab while fishing with my rod and a worm :D, it was weird but funny, i dont think it was dungeness

In the winter time because there is a reduction of freshwater coming down from the Fraser River, dungeness crabs tend to move into the estuary part of the river. There have been many times when a crab decided to grab onto my line while bait fishing on the bottom at Garry Point Park, big ones too. I doubt throwing a crab trap out from Garry Point Park is that doable. The first 30 to 40 feet of water is shallow and filled with rocks.

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 08:51:57 AM »

In the winter time because there is a reduction of freshwater coming down from the Fraser River, dungeness crabs tend to move into the estuary part of the river. There have been many times when a crab decided to grab onto my line while bait fishing on the bottom at Garry Point Park, big ones too. I doubt throwing a crab trap out from Garry Point Park is that doable. The first 30 to 40 feet of water is shallow and filled with rocks.

Rodney, thanks for the reply.  I keep hearing about this Garry Point Park. Where is this exactly?

Second question:  Do you know if people are allowed to fish/crab from within Belcarra Park?  For example, hike in, and fish/crab from Admiral(ty) Point.

Third Question:  Are we allowed to drop traps at Horseshoe Bay marina, across from the ferry terminal? 

Thanks,

Joe
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 08:54:22 AM by Joe the Soccer Coach »

Nikko

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 01:29:52 PM »

Not sure about Belcarra - but you're not allowed to fish/crab form the Cate's park dock between April and November (I think).  However I think that's a District of NV rule, not a fisheries rule and I believe it's in place because of all the boat traffic at certain times of the day/year needing the dock. I know that the dock has been pretty full of very inconsiderate fishers in the past and it used to be a problem for boaters  - not so much now. But I'm pretty sure that if you were down there on a dull day no one would say anything to you.

HOWEVER - there's also a LOT of people in small rubber rafts that set traps 50' off the dock and all down the beach, and the traps are there all the time. I seriously doubt there's much of anything left to catch.

Nikko

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 01:32:24 PM »

Here's a recent post that I did on Garry Point Park.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15111.0

Here's an article.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2001/0701_03.html

The park is located at the southwestern corner of Richmond. Drive southbound on No. 1 Road, turn left at the next set of lights after Steveston Hwy. Continue to the end of that road (you should pass a four-way stop, then you are in the park).

Crabbing in Area 28 (Belcarra, Indian Arm, Port Moody, Burrard Inlet) is permitted but there maybe areas in the municipality where fishing access is not allowed. If that's the case, there should be a sign at the location which tells you so.

Here's a relevant fishery notice for this year, no fishing areas in West Vancouver.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=100238&ID=recreational