Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All around fly setup - for the new guy - budget, $0  (Read 11863 times)

iRobertO

All around fly setup - for the new guy - budget, $0
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:36:22 PM »

Hello,

I fish the Fraser and Vedder but want to get into fly fishing. I do not have a fly rod/reel/line setup. I brought this problem to my wife and she has graciously added $0 to my fishing budget and said to go for it.
I have always admired the skill in the long casts with all that line flying through the air and fighting fish on such delicate rods, but with the allocated budget, I'm not getting into it anytime soon.
So the question everyone hates; what is the best all around setup I can get into inexpensively? I want to maximize my fishing opportunities, that's why I'm asking for 'all around' (as I understand you can have very particular setups for various fish, bodies of water and conditions). I'll even get into something used.
Any suggestions on how to equip myself? Rod? Reel? Line?
Let's pretend flies aren't to be considered in the budget, because I can chisel ten bucks away here and there unnoticed.

On another note, does anyone know a good divorce lawyer?

And finally, to the younger users on the forum, never get married. I'm serious.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: All around fly setup - for the new guy - budget, $0
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 01:01:30 AM »

your best bet is to look for a decent to good setup on the Classifieds of this or any fishing forum.

another option would be to look at rod/reel/line combos at stores such as Army & Navy or Wholesale Sports

If you can try and not get the cheapest thing out there, if you get into a mid price range rod you will be alot more happy and not wanting/needing to upgrade right away.

here are a few rod companies that are mid level to keep your eyes out for, actually a couple of these would be considered lower end but they are still great rods.

Dragonfly
Temple Fork Outfitters
Echo
St. Croix
Amundson
Redington
Lower end rods from the high prices guys (IE: Sage, GLoomis and so on)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

hickman

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:17:26 AM »

I bought my first fly setup a few months ago. Kinda allround, I love it for the first setup.
Bought it at the local Home Hardware - they had a special:
Sedge, 9ft, 8wt incl. reel and line spooled for $90. I have used it for trout so far. Yes, it is a little heavy but soooo much fun. I am learning, great for practicing ... I will try the setup in fall for Coho. As a beginner, I would go for a middle of the road combo.

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:19:06 AM »

TFO and ECHO are the best value rods on the market.

Here is my suggestions:

- Spend the money on the rod then the line and finally the reel. The reel is not important at this level.
- 5wt rod is a great beginner wt. It is versatile and will help to get your stroke down pat. Anything heavier and your gonna be tempted to fish weighted tips...If you go to a lighter wt you loose the versatility.
- GET YOUR LINE MATCHED TO YOUR ROD, go to the airflo website or rio and they recommend certain lines for certain rods. If you are not picking up the info, go see Ferdie at Reaction in Abby and he can help match things up.

Once you have decided on a rod/line combo watch the classifieds on this or other sites for the best deal. You can also check out the local shops as they often consign used gear.

You should be able to huck a bicycle chain with a chicken on the end in no time!

Peace ;)
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.

jimmywits

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »

I started with a 5/6wt Berkley rod and had it for years, it was a great rod at a very reasonable price. Just about anywhere that sells fishing gear will have inexpensive begginer Combo's,  rod, reel, backing, fly line, leader. I've seen some that even throw in a few fly's. Langley Army and Navy would be worth checking out.   tight lines

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 12:57:03 PM »

do you guys not read things all the way through or something ???

He is looking to fish the Fraser & Vedder mostly which means he should be looking at an 8wt setup for an all around weight because it can handle big springs yet small coho/pinks are still a riot  ;D

Now if he is looking for a trout fishing setup then yes a 5wt fits the bill perfectly
Check out our new blog

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 05:47:55 PM »

Call my friend Bob 604-826-4625. He can set you up with an 8 or 9wt Daiwa Algonquin for around $60. No frills, but a good workable rod. Bought and tried the 8wt myself for bass fishing; no complaints. Tell him Jeff the newsman sent you.

For a cheap workable reel; bargain hunt antjque stores and pawnshops Offer $5 and barter to no more than $20.

For a cheap line talk to Gary at River Side.

And this is why the guys in the selling end of the industry hate me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:02:10 PM by newsman »
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

iRobertO

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:46:36 PM »

Hey thanks for all the responses guys!

I really like the pawn shop tip, I never would have thought of that AND I have a friend (sort of) that works in a pawn shop. Anytime I have ever run into him there (twice) he tried to give me everything, so the $0 budget may end up being doable!

Rob
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:49:25 PM by iRobertO »

funpig

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »

I have a 6 wt, a few spinning rods and a baitcaster.  For me, my best all-round set up on the Vedder would be my 8 wt 4 pce. Dragonfly.  Packs down to nothing for easy transport.  Can attach heavy pieces of T-14 as inexpensive sink tips.  Cuts through the wind.  Can handle a decent sized spring or chum, but still fun to play smaller salmon.  I use it 90% of the time when I river fish.  The 6 wt was my starter rod, but I rarely use it.  I do not float tube or lake fish.

jimmywits

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 08:26:30 PM »

Hello,

I fish the Fraser and Vedder but want to get into fly fishing. I do not have a fly rod/reel/line setup. I brought this problem to my wife and she has graciously added $0 to my fishing budget and said to go for it.
I have always admired the skill in the long casts with all that line flying through the air and fighting fish on such delicate rods, but with the allocated budget, I'm not getting into it anytime soon.
So the question everyone hates; what is the best all around setup I can get into inexpensively? I want to maximize my fishing opportunities, that's why I'm asking for 'all around' (as I understand you can have very particular setups for various fish, bodies of water and conditions). I'll even get into something used.
Any suggestions on how to equip myself? Rod? Reel? Line?
Let's pretend flies aren't to be considered in the budget, because I can chisel ten bucks away here and there unnoticed.

Just to clarify, "I fish the Frazer and Vedder BUT  want to get into fly fishing". Do you mean fly fishing just in the Frazer and Vedder, or are you considering lakes and other streams also. For most still water trout and smaller streams an 8wt is too heavy. The best all around rod for most types of fly fishing is a 5/6wt as it can handle decent size fish and is light enough that you can still really feel smaller ones too.   tight lines

On another note, does anyone know a good divorce lawyer?

And finally, to the younger users on the forum, never get married. I'm serious.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 10:08:17 PM »

I love it Rob LOL no plans to get married here but been together 4yrs and neither of us care for marriage :-)
Check out our new blog

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 09:19:19 AM »

Hey Robert O

as per Hooks response:
"do you guys not read things all the way through or something

He is looking to fish the Fraser & Vedder mostly which means he should be looking at an 8wt setup for an all around weight because it can handle big springs yet small coho/pinks are still a riot  

Now if he is looking for a trout fishing setup then yes a 5wt fits the bill perfectly"

Don't do the 8wt! The big water of the Fraser is great for cutty fishing in back channels but the bigger water will be too daunting for a beginner. As for the Vedder, learning to fly fish shoulder to shoulder in the coho kook show is a task fit for the Kool Aid man. You need space and no pressure to watch your casts and make mistakes without getting pissed on by those around you. There is very little etiquette on that system and even less forgiveness.

That said, I read the context of your post and still recommend the 5wt. Go for a drive, fish the Skagit, Adams, Raft, Birkenhead or Cheakamus 1-2+hrs away or stay local and fish the Vedder for Pinks & Trout, Fraser for Cutties. Once you can manage your line, drift and swing properly then get into a 8wt and target Salmon.

Hook - I don't want this post to turn into a pissing contest.
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.

funpig

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 04:19:45 PM »

Don't do the 8wt! The big water of the Fraser is great for cutty fishing in back channels but the bigger water will be too daunting for a beginner. As for the Vedder, learning to fly fish shoulder to shoulder in the coho kook show is a task fit for the Kool Aid man. You need space and no pressure to watch your casts and make mistakes without getting pissed on by those around you. There is very little etiquette on that system and even less forgiveness.
I have never tried to fly fish on the Fraser.  But I have had some success and fun with my 8 wt on the Vedder.  One of the reasons I prefer to fly fish is that it forces me to walk another 5 minutes to get away from the crowds.  It's a long river.  I drive almost 2 hours to get there;  an extra 5 minutes walk is not a big deal.

iRobertO

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 02:35:36 AM »

It should be noted that when I get into something, I really get into it. I'll spend a lot of time in a park mastering the art.

Rob

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 11:24:27 AM »

Robert: then you will see that there are two parts to flyfishing. First you will learn to fly cast, and then you will learn what is required to catch a fish, whether that be using a dryfly, or fishing with a streamer or nymph.  You will see what I mean when you get into it.