Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: B.C. government looking into whether to ban bear-spray across province  (Read 2816 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: B.C. government looking into whether to ban bear-spray across province
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2023, 10:42:39 PM »

the article link I provided was pretty clear the capsaicin doesn't expire, it's the propellant that does.  It's the same with all aerosols. In their test a can 5 years past the expiry just leaked out on the testers hands. That would certainly be a bummer to have happen as a big grizzly sow and her 2 year old cubs bear down on ya! Sort of like kiss your my friend goodbye Charlie! I keep my post expiry cans as backup for a couple of years. You can use those for test shots if you feel the need. The problem with the expired cans is they don't all deteriorate to ineffective based on some tight schedule ... it might be 5 years after, 3 or even 2. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 10:44:33 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2023, 12:07:00 AM »

I was taught to weigh the cans.  If an old can has less weight than a new can then it has lost some propellant.  I have two 10+ year old cans and one has lost a couple grams and one has not.  The one that has lost weight has travelled with me and been exposed to high and low temps vs the one that is the same has been in a closet.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2023, 12:14:21 PM »

Everyone who Packs spray should test it and learn proper use and handling.  I don’t use my test can as my primary - it is a test I have been doing because I don’t want to be part of the consumerism disposal system by tossing out stuff based on expiry.  I fish extensively among grizzlies and would not use a half can for defence.  My tests have given me the confidence that an expired can of spray is effective.

Got it. I misunderstood your post. Good idea about test firing expired cans. I’ll do that when my current one expires. I do practice withdrawing it from the holster and releasing the safety cuz in a moment of fear and/or urgency I want to rely on muscle memory. But it would be a good idea to practice release bursts too.

I was taught to weigh the cans.  If an old can has less weight than a new can then it has lost some propellant.  I have two 10+ year old cans and one has lost a couple grams and one has not.  The one that has lost weight has travelled with me and been exposed to high and low temps vs the one that is the same has been in a closet.
Congrats on the 1000 post! 😀

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2023, 12:32:41 PM »

it's also important to know how to put the safety back on!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2023, 12:52:04 AM »

Congrats on the 1000 post! 😀

I have no idea what I possibly could have said 1000 times   :o

Thanks for the forum Rodney! 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2023, 01:23:17 AM »

;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2023, 04:17:41 PM »

I have no idea what I possibly could have said 1000 times   :o

Thanks for the forum Rodney!

oh just wait till you pass 4400 posts!