Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Spinning Setup  (Read 6087 times)

hohartmann

New Spinning Setup
« on: October 24, 2015, 07:18:03 AM »

Looking into purchasing a new spinning reel setup. Will be using it for coho/steelhead, just looking for some suggestions from anyone. Any information is greatly appreciated. Looking for a rod and reel.

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: New Spinning Setup
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 07:51:39 AM »

1) budget

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »

Rod: I would not break the bank. Shimano convergence, Fenwick HMX, and so on all good rods and about $100 bucks. I would go 9foot and somewhere around medium or medium heavy power, medium fast or fast action, line rating 8-17 or somewhere around there.

One rod I have and like for this type of fishing is the Shimano Convergence CVS 90MH2B. 8-12 line rating, 3/8-3/4 lure weight rating, m/h power, fast action. Bought from Fred's for about $100 bucks. That is another piece of advice...if you go to a tackle shop you might pay a little more but you will get good advice. If you buy online or even at WSS you might get something that is not suited for the type of fishing you will be doing.

Anyway about that rod...I like it for pinks, coho, that's about it. I don't spinner/spoon fish for steelhead but it would be suitable. Chum and springs are too much for this rod.

Reel: again don't break the bank but don't get some $39 reel from Walmart. Spend $100 or so and get a decent reel by Shimano, Abu Garcia, or whatever. I have a Rapala Shift spinning reel that was about $150 and it's quite nice for small salmon.

Line: I would just keep it simple and spool up with 12lb Berkley XL (not XT, it is not suitable for spinning reel mainline). You WILL get a better feel for the lure by going to a braided mainline, and better casting distance. On my Rapala I have 20lb Suffix 832 and I LOVE it. However I have to tie the braid to a barrel swivel, then run a mono leader, or in really clear water I knot (modified Albright) my braid to about a 12 foot leader. What I'm getting at as this set up can be a bit complicated. Plus the braid is about $50. I would just keep it simple and run 12lb mono and tie right to your lure. Easy!

ShaunO

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 09:57:59 AM »

It's been said by lots of guys but I like my cheapo Canadian Tire Shimano combos.  7' rod with a FX4000 reel for around $50!  Fought many coho, chum and springs on it, and have never had an issue.  The FX series of reels are pretty much all plastic, but I can't believe the punishment mine have withstood.

tim3500

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 02:23:17 PM »

Wholesale sports has Lamiglass Redline rods 8-12 lbs 9ft 10 at $136.00 really nice rod lifetime warrenty put a good 300 spinning real on it and some braid your got somethine that will last I have a Penn on mine

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »

i bought a shimano Sedona at whole sale sports awhile ago. it was on sale for half price at the time (don't know if it still is) but i have really been enjoying it for pinks and coho this year ! loaded it with 10lb power pro braid and it will cast small lures a mile, well maybe not ! smooth drag and very smooth when reeling in.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 02:57:13 PM »

Shimano Clarus CSS90ML2B and Sahara 2500FE.

hohartmann

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 06:40:18 PM »

Thanks for all the advice. Ordered a Fenwick HMX and a Shimano Sahara.

Sagefishr

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 11:15:57 PM »

Feneick hmx is a brittle blank if you nick, scratch, or hit it with the weight or spinner accidentally. It'll shatter.  Just a FYI.  It would have been a great rod if they just coated the whole rod with the gel coat.

waterbearer

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 09:16:35 AM »

Been fishing the same hmx for 6 yrs,hike though the forest many many times and thrown down cliffs at the cap    just as many . Think you will get good use out of it. If it does break fenwick with send you a new one with or without a warranty.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 09:22:30 AM »

. If it does break fenwick with send you a new one with or without a warranty.

Are you sure about that ?

kalex60

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 11:17:46 AM »

Budget set up would be
Shimano Convergence 9' medium with 4000 Sedona 

Ideal would be
 Either Shimano 3000 Symmetry or Stradic Hg with a 9' Clarus

I like those two reel because they come with xship which gives way more power under load makes a huge difference if you are reeling vibrax spinners all day

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 07:47:59 PM »

nothing wrong with that setup. dont need $100 reels and $150 rods. walmart is just fine for this type of fishing. Ive been using my daiwa 8ft graphite spinning rod $25.00 and $30.00 quantum spinning reel from walmart for over 8 years.........still catching coho chum and pinks nicely. I change line every year but stay with better lines like maxima or suffix. Also buy a reel cover for the sahara and lube it up after every rainy outing. It will last you along time and still look relatively new.

waterbearer

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 09:32:11 PM »