Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time To Leave The Sockeye Alone  (Read 7557 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Time To Leave The Sockeye Alone
« on: August 16, 2004, 07:58:11 PM »

I hope when the sockeye close after Wednesday in the name of conservation people will refrain from fishing for springs the same way to prevent hooking sockeye that need to be left alone now, in my mind antway. Others may wish to comment as well.

I got a reliable report today that very few fish are being taken by FN nets in the Williams Lale area, not a good sign.

The anglers that like to fish for them have had a good shot at them and I think most anglers have caught enough for their needs.

So lets try to fish selectively as much as possible for the rest of the season. If too much BB continues and goes on we may face a total closure which would not make a lot of us happy.

If other user groups continue to fish it will help SDA put more pressure on FOC to enforce these closures.

Only my thoughts and everyone else will be entitled to theirs also.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 08:13:44 PM by chris gadsden »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Time To Leave The Sockeye Alone
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 08:11:37 PM »

Good sentiments Chris. Unfortunately there will be a percentage of anglers who will continue bottom bouncing for chinooks.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 08:17:39 PM »

always a few but as I am learning its more fun to chuck 20 oz once than 3 oz eighteen hundred times.Also time for me to start cleaning up what others left behind ;D

BirdNester

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 08:20:09 PM »

Sounds good Chris. I am all for it. Now, tell a newbie how to fish somewhere like Peg Leg for Springs without BB'ing? I gather from leadbelly's comments that bar fishing is one way. Any others?
RobertO

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 08:28:26 PM »

Got 20 ouncers in the boat ready for the Springs and Sturgeon :D

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 08:29:30 PM »

barfishing  is prettymuch it.However some fish creekmouths with spoons and do ok.Ive caught em in the stave this way.But in the mainstem Fraser its mostly bar fishing.And waiting for coho season mmmm coho season augghhgg....

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 08:51:53 PM »

all they have to do is to put a leader restriction  maximum length of 3 feet. If they want to bb they can do it with a short leader. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 08:58:42 PM »

I saw far more dead fish floating down river today than ever before.  The river must be warming again.

I saw a guy play in a 25 lb white today...he didnt want a white and was going to release it.  My buddy tailed the fish and tried to revive it but he said it was done, it wasnt going anywhere.

Fortunately and older chap came buy and took the fish...otherwise I have a feeling it could have been wasted.  Mean while I hear a flosser say that he doesn't care...DFO can shut donw the socs...he'll be back for the springs all the same.  

I think we all need to be a little more appreciative of the opening we had and respect how fragile these fish are under the current water conditions.

BirdNester

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 09:18:37 PM »

Fortunately and older chap came buy and took the fish...otherwise I have a feeling it could have been wasted.  

Watch what happens after that comment. Here we go.
RobertO

BirdNester

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 09:36:58 PM »

Oh I don't see a problem with that either, but I got the impression that it was on the beach, landed, saw it was white, then grabbed it. Some people have a problem with that.
RobertO

redlad

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 09:56:30 PM »

On the bottom bouncing front.  This is my first year fishing sockeye, and I may not bother again, but I have bottom bounced with roe and about a 30 inch leader.  The fish, chum and the odd spring, were biting.

I would assume bottom bouncing with a short leader would be a selective way to fish, but doubt it would work worth a darn on the fraser.

Bantam_50

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 11:43:11 PM »

Re:closure of sockeye fishing
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:06:59pm »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LMAO at DFO...they close the Fraser to sockeye but leave it open to chinook, with no gear restriction. I can see Pegleg now come Saturday morn...all them TOWER"S letting socks (that DFO projects losing 1/2 a million due to high water tempuratures resulting in stress) go after they've dragged them up on the sand bars. Then casting back trying for a chinook.

WHO is the clown running this circus.    
----------------------------------------------
Again.... all DFO  needed to do was implement a gear restriction. Bar rig only for chinook. Problem solved.

Should I read between the lines that DFO left it open to chinook (with no gear restriction) because they knew there would be fisherman out BB'ing and C&R'ing sock's. This justifies DFO allowing the FN to continue to take socks.

I'm making another call tomorrow and I'm not gonna be polite about it.

Ann-Marie Huang 604-666-7824 or Devona Adams 604-666-6512.

Remember to state FOC salmon management policy: FIRST Conservation, then...First Nation, Recreational sport and Commercial.

Bantam_50

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 12:05:16 AM »

I moved this over here, as it's more suited in this thread.

Re:Commercial Fishing Closed On the Fraser August 16
« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:53:35pm »      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: chris gadsden on Today at 07:00:16pm
As I posted on another thread it is apparently closing Wednesday night for the rec guys because of a shortfall of fish now.

So it should close for everyone.

Actually...Yes  there was a reduction in run size (200k fish) Chris, but I think it was more to do with this statement in the latest Sockeye update.

'Environmental conditions in the Fraser River have continued to be very
unfavorable for successful sockeye migration.  The discharge at Hope was
2,430cms which the third lowest discharge level since 1912.  The temperature at
Qualark was 20.7C which is 1C higher than 1998.  Due to continuing warm air
temperatures in the B.C. Interior, water temperatures are expected to continue
to be very warm.'

Everyone remembers what happened in '98.  

And what are your thoughts on this?

'Further the Fraser River Panel adopted an environmental management adjustment of 570,000 Summer run sockeye to address the very unfavorable in-river migration environment the sockeye are currently encountering.'

In other words FOC are playing it safe and projecting that 570k sock's won't make it to their spawning grounds.  
Max not sure about Anna, but Devona knows all about this fishery and should know better than not to have the gear restriction.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 12:06:11 AM by Bantam_50 »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 12:21:16 AM »

Very true about the water temps having an effect on the migration of the fish.

I truly believe FOC do not have a proper handle on the numbers of fish being caught as there really is no proper monitoring of the fish being  landed.

Who is counting the fish that are being taken by the drift fishing that goes on at night that we keep getting reports on?  They will be on there way to market while most of are still slleeping. :(

As I keep saying things are completly out of control with the FN fishery this year ( worse than past years) and FOC has let it all happen.

If they had any management sense with the conditions the fish are facing now as you have mentioned Bantam_50 they should close it for every user group.

The well being and survival of the fish stocks is the most important thing to me right now.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 06:48:11 AM by chris gadsden »